Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snoqualmie Mt. via Commonwealth Basin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RossB

RossB
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 9:51 pm 
About once a year or so I climb up Snoqualmie Mountain. The first time, I did this via the crest trail (bushwacking most of the way). On the way down, I managed to find an old trail that, if I remember right, dropped from the saddle between Guye and Snoqualmie to Commonwealth basin and (I believe) the old crest trail. Ever since then, I took the more straight forward route via the Snow Lake trail head (by Alpental). However, I would like to save my knees (and get a little variety) by going up via Commonwealth basin. I am not sure I remember how, though. Does anyone go up Snoqualmie this way? If so, I would appreciate any clues or tips (specifically on when to make the cutoff heading West). Thanks, Ross P.S. This is my first posting. If this belongs in a different category, please let me know.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 12:08 am 
Old Trail
I have summited Guye Peak and Snoqualmie a number of times from the trail which you found. Park your car at the high parking lot for the PCT at Snoqualmie Pass. It is the one with the hitching posts next to it. There is a trail which starts there that takes you up what used to be called the Cascade Crest trail. That was largely replaced by the "new" PCT. The Cascade Crest trail takes you up over Red Pass and then down to Goldmyer Hot Springs. But take the trail up to where Commonwealth Creek starts its descent through the narrow gorge. There should be a log crossing the creek there which people use to get to Red Mt. Immediately after crossing that log do not go right along the trail. Continue going straight and you should see another small trail that will take you up to the saddle between Guye and Snoqualmie. That area is called Cave Ridge as the rock beneath is limestone and has many caves beneath.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RossB

RossB
PostFri Jul 19, 2002 9:02 am 
Thank you very much. This should help a lot. Thanks, Ross

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Jul 20, 2002 9:58 am 
WTA has a trip report on this trail posted yesterday for the Commonwealth Basin area. You can also connect with the old trail in Commonwealth Basin by taking the PCT up from Snoqualmie Pass. Follow the sign which says "Abandoned Trail" about two miles into the hike. The PCT route adds a mile of unneeded hiking to your outing though but is easier to find initially.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message