Forum Index > Food & Grub > Soft Licorice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Man-inna-hillz

Man-inna-hillz
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 10:34 am 
Jerry Garcia once compared Grateful Dead fandom to liking licorice: "Dead fans are like cats who like licorice. Not everyone likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, REALLY like licorice." I can't f#@^ing stand the Dead. But I do love me some soft licorice. Especially as a trail goodie. Pure chewy sugary energy. In this thread, I will share my favorites, and hope to learn about other licorice, black and red.
RJ's "Soft Eating" licorice is king of the hill, IMO. The raspberry in particular has a wonderful, German soft candy kind of flavor to it. Seriously, if you ever noshed on Moam or Haribo gummies as a kid, this stuff is your go-to. Also comes in single serving logs.
Tubi's Organic is the bomb. The black especially has that great, Molasses-heavy flavor. Also comes in the intriguing tire tread delivery, as well as thin and thick ropes.
Hard to argue with the classic Panda. They also have wonderful new Cherry flavor. LICORICE!!!!

The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 11:42 am 
Natural Vines is pretty good and I noticed Safeway is carrying it in the candy section now. I only like the red stuff, black is just too strong for me - but NV's does actually have the real stuff in both kinds - just a lot more mellow than the black though at least in the red. And the coloring is natural as well, a big bonus for me!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Canuck

Canuck
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 12:26 pm 
It's not licorice, just sugar in rope form, but the blue raspberry flavored "licorice" from Cabela's is delicious. As is the grape.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 12:41 pm 
I have salted licorice from Norway if anyone wants it (one big unopened package) Salt Sild original by Malaco PM me if you want it smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 1:25 pm 
I like the Costco aussie licorice. http://www.lucky-country.com/ Comes in various flavors, doesn't stick to your teeth, and doesn't break the bank. That said I hope I got it after the 2008 recall. eek.gif http://www.kcra.com/r/17259805/detail.html As far as energy on the trail, I try to stay away from stuff made with sugar or corn syrup since they are high glycemic sugars that hit your blood stream quickly and don't provide sustained energy like the energy gels with lower glycemic sugars.

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 1:41 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
Salt Sild original by Malaco
slobber.gif agree.gif