Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Recent slow image downloads from flickr - Aug, 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 12:28 am 
Sometime in the last month the downloads of the larger photos on the click-through from flickr have been extremely slow. I can see a 400K photo slowly paint itself on the screen over the course of 10 or more seconds. Has anyone else noticed slower picture downloads from flickr? Other photo sites (they're rare) still download fast, as do the TRs with many embedded nwhikers.net thumbnails, but they don't come from flickr. I don't think this is a problem with my Comcast cable connection. I get >20Mbps download in a speed test with fast ping. I've measured the flickr download speed with curl on a variety of photos, not all mine, and it's .15 to .20 Mbps. That's right -- about 100x slower than speed test. I'm wondering if the problem is on the flickr server side of things. If other people can get these photos fast then there may be something in my path to flickr that's slowing it down. Test this yourself Here's a recent photo of the day that is 254KB in the click-through size (thanks GaliWalker, fantastic picture):
Lake Saif-ul-Maluk and Malika Parbat alpenglow
Lake Saif-ul-Maluk and Malika Parbat alpenglow
On a mac or linux command line type this:
Code:
curl -0 http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6205/6072277834_bcbe7efe9c_b.jpg -o /dev/null
and you should get output like this
Code:
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 100 254k 100 254k 0 0 21787 0 0:00:11 0:00:11 --:--:-- 29085
In this case I got 21,787 bytes/sec which is equivalent to .16 Mbps, and it took 11 seconds to download. Run it several times to get a typical number.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 8:55 am 
Loaded in less than a second here. Must be something with your computer or internet connection.

yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 8:56 am 
Loaded in less than a second at home last night and again here at work. No problems. Quick.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 10:30 pm 
Thanks. There's something screwy going on. Before I posted that we called Comcast to complain about the slowness. Comcast.com was another site that was very slow -- 30 seconds to show their home page. Today everything is working fine again. That picture down loads almost instantly. I did some traceroutes and my path to yahoo.com and flickr.com is extremely long. My wife's yahoo mail has also been slow. Maybe Comcast got a bunch of complaints from this area and fixed something.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Aug 28, 2011 8:24 pm 
I downloaded that in less than a second, but I have been having huge delays on everything else on this site. I'm getting very tired of that "waiting for nwhikers" notice that sits where the "done" notice is supposed to pop up. I haven't had it, today, but I have recently had that thing where it downloads pictures line by line, just like in the OLD days. I've wondered if this site is getting overloaded or flickr is getting overloaded or ...... what?

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!