Forum Index > Trail Talk > Passage: One of our NW Hikers, Claudia Jeanne (Hauge) Gillis
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 02, 2011 9:00 am 
All, Many of us have been following Claudia's progress since her accident on June 26 while descending Kaleetan Peak. See this thread. Sadly she passed away from her injuries on Saturday morning. Naturalbeing noted this and posted soon after. It was such a beautiful weekend and many of us were away enjoying the mountains and probably didn't see the notice. It quickly moved down the page in the Saloon. So I am bringing it forward to Trail Talk in case it was missed. Today I found her obituary and the announcement of her Memorial Service here. "Celebration of life will be August 20, 2011 Sat. 1:00pm at Westminster Chapel. 13646 NE 24th Bellevue, WA 98005" She was such an avid and friendly hiker as many of you can attest. I met her on Granite Mountain this February. She posted here as umbrella lady and if you check her posts you can see how well-traveled she was. I really feel for her family and friends at her early departure from this life. She was a good-spirited, sweet person and will be greatly missed. May you rest in peace Claudia. Respectfully, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Aug 02, 2011 9:02 am 
Iron and I met Umbrella Lady on Mailbox Peak this past winter. We stopped and chatted after I recognized her and asked if she was the Umbrella Lady. She was very friendly! This is very sad news. My sincere condolences to her family and friends.

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostTue Aug 02, 2011 10:37 am 
Was it in March? I met her up there as well this past winter when I was heading up without snowshoes and she recommended I follow her tracks since the snow was so deep. Ill never forget how easily she walked up to the summit making it look effortless. Sadly I only spoke with her for a few minutes but she was a very sweet lady. Condolences to her friends and family.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostTue Aug 02, 2011 12:28 pm 
I tend to get a little callous with these 'hiking accident' stories, assuming that the person must have been doing something wrong to deserve their fate. The alternative, the thought that this could actually happen to me or Karen is too awful to even consider. This one however really hits home as one day back in 2007 the Umbrella Lady and I shared the same trail. My thoughts go out to her family.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Pumarinri

Pumarinri
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 6:45 pm 
I met several other hikers last Saturday August 27 on my annual trip to Rachel Lake and Alta Mountain. It was a beautiful day and the views and wild flowers were magnificent. I left a photo in honor of Umbrella Lady under a block of rock on the summit of Alta, one of her favorite peaks. This pic was taken in September 2008 while the large cairn was still there.
"It's taller than Umbrella Lady"
"It's taller than Umbrella Lady"

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Sep 01, 2011 9:44 pm 
Thanks, Pumarinri for that wonderful gesture. I was up on Alta Mountain two weeks ago for the first time. I didn't know that Alta was one of her favorite peaks in the ALW, but can see why. The views up there are terrific. I actually attended her memorial a few weeks ago. It had to be one of the most amazing memorials I have ever attended. Her husband, family and friends created this incredible tribute to her life and a recognition of the many folks involved in her rescue. They showed many photos of her life and accomplishments. By the time the event was done, you had seen a remarkable person growing up and old before your eyes. You couldn't help but feel love for Claudia. She smiled at us from the large photo onstage behind the podium. You saw that smile throughout her life and shining through her children as well. When you entered the chapel a sign greeted you saying to "Leave your sadness behind." The family wanted this to be a celebration. The entry way was strung with Tibetan prayer flags on the walls. Below each flag were strings of notes like kitetails, each one written with good wishes and support from the Caringbridge website. If one started at the left and read the notes to the right, there was a chronological commentary on her condition through the days all the way to her passing and the condolences. Very moving. On tables beside each entry door to the chapel auditorium were albums and photos, but also her ice axe, crampons, other gear and her umbrella. The program covered her growing up, her family and motherhood, her hiking and climbing life and finally that of her and her husband's journey together since high school. She was a super nice person, devoted mother, wife and accomplished outdoorsperson. She had attained 3 summits of Mt. Rainier (6 attempts), summits of Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Constance, Mt. Lassen (I believe), and Mt. Whitney, Mt. Kilimanjaro and others. She had numerous hikes and backpacking trips under her belt all over the Cascades, the Southwest and Hawaii. She had over a dozen hiking partners and yet did many climbs and hikes solo as well. I came away truly wishing I had been one of her friends rather than just another hiker on the trail. So thanks again for doing that Pumarinri. That will make Alta Mountain just a little more special. ~z