Forum Index > Trail Talk > Need hike suggestion
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Jul 23, 2002 6:19 am 
I'm trying to find a hike for this weekend in the 20-30 mile range. Something that does not have hoardes of mosquitoes, does not require a limited number of permits and is within 150 miles of Seattle. I don't care how much snow there is, but would like something with decent views. Anybody have any ideas?

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostTue Jul 23, 2002 7:58 am 
Ingalls Way?
Steve, it's not quite 20 miles, but if you climb up to Ingalls Peak via the Teaneway and then work your way down into the Ingalls Creek route you can continue on for about 17 miles along the creek until you come to the Ingalls Creek trailhead. The whole distance is around 20 miles. We do it every September and never see a bug (don't know what it's like right now, tho), and all you have to fill out is the routine Alpine Lakes permit at the TH. Fantastic views os Stuart & Stuart Range all the way out.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jul 23, 2002 9:20 am 
Head up the Entiat river towards it's headwaters at Entiat Meadows and the tremendous cirque formed by Seven Fingered Jack, Mt Maude, and Mt Fernow, all 9000+. It's a fairly long hike, it's on the dry side, and the region is spectacular even if you don't choose to climb up out of the valley and bag peaks.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostTue Jul 23, 2002 11:28 am 
Hate to say it, but those two suggestions sound very buggy. With this warm weather, the bugs seem to start low and are even at the highest levels. We need a cold snap which won't happen before this weekend. Kinda struggling with the same problem deciding on this weekend... If you can stay on giant snowfields, you might escape the bugs.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jul 23, 2002 11:58 am 
probably are buggy, but given this seasons melt profile, I'm hard pressed to think of anywhere bug free! If bugs are a defining issue for a hike, better stay home till august!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Jul 23, 2002 1:03 pm 
I'm not looking for a bug free place, but a place where, when I stop, won't have 50 of the little blighters instantly covering me. I also bought some permethrin and have some DEET and am interested in trying it out, but don't want to be misirable if it does not. I'm leaning towards buck creek pass/miners ridge. Also, has anybody been to Image Lake this year. I assume it's bad but just interested.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jul 23, 2002 2:49 pm 
buck creek pass is pretty sweet, I've been eaten alive there though as well. If you don't mind missing out on a view of GP from your campsite, we like the sites in the basin just before the pass itself, on the S face of Fortress, above the trail. Since everyone heads straight for the pass, it can get kind of annoying camping by it. deet is the stuff, IMO. Works great on mosquitos, OK on flies. A good soaking keeps the skeeters off me for a good couple hours, small flies maybe an hour or so. Skeeters seem to see it as more of a zone defense, if enough is used they'll generally stay away, while flies seem to be willing to look for the one square inch of skin you missed and immediately land on it. Depending on how much you're sweating, you may need to reapply more often. Better living through chemistry!

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jul 23, 2002 6:53 pm 
Sorry Guys, but forget everything else and go into the Olympics, particularly the leeward side, less bugs in July.....just came back from there in the Buckhorns. If you spend some climbing/hiking time over there you'll understand why my close friends and I have done much of our July treks for decades in the Olympics rather than the Cascades.....seek.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Damian

Damian
PostWed Jul 24, 2002 8:23 am 
The Olympics have much to offer that meet your criteria. A long slog up to Seven Lakes Basin up the Sole Duc or the Bogachiel might work.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Jul 24, 2002 10:47 am 
McPilchuck, as far as the leeward side, what hikes were you thinking of? Any in particular that suit your fancy? I've done the Duckabush and Grey Wolf. Is the Dose or Staircase do-able now? If you've done them let me know what your preference is.

Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostThu Jul 25, 2002 4:23 pm 
Just got back from a Monday-Tuesday trip in the Dungeness drainage South of Sequim in the Olympics. Went up Royal Basin, then up and over to the Dungeness side, where I explored lake 5970. Exited NE along the ridge, then down to the Dungeness, roughly along the Park/Wilderness boundary. Minimal snow even on the 6000' ridges. I slept under my sil-poncho with headnet, bugs not bad.
lake 5970
lake 5970

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Jul 25, 2002 4:29 pm 
Nice looking lake. Nice not to see the familiar eyesore-trail encircling it.