Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostThu Sep 29, 2011 9:33 am 
Nate Silver @ 538.com wrote:
The Red Sox had just a 0.3 percent chance of failing to make the playoffs on Sept. 3. The Rays had just a 0.3 percent chance of coming back after trailing 7-0 with two innings to play. The Red Sox had only about a 2 percent chance of losing their game against Baltimore, when the Orioles were down to their last strike. The Rays had about a 2 percent chance of winning in the bottom of the 9th, with Johnson also down to his last strike. Multiply those four probabilities together, and you get a combined probability of about one chance in 278 million of all these events coming together in quite this way.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Sep 29, 2011 10:21 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The Red Sux failure gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside
Now if the Spankees can go down in a blaze of similar failure all would be right in the baseball world...GO DETROIT! My wife's head almost exploded as I tried to explain to her what just happened. it must be a guy thing. I have two favorite teams...whoever is playing the Red Sox or the Yankees and if they play each other I root for 19 inning games.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostThu Sep 29, 2011 10:35 am 
Hey Deadsox! The chokes on you!

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Sep 29, 2011 11:01 am 
Quote:
The Sox suffered the embarrassment of an utter collapse that tags them as the only team ever to lead by as many as 9 games in the wild-card race entering September, only to miss out on the postseason. The largest previous lead relinquished was by the 1995 Angels, who had a 7 1/2-game lead in the AL West on Aug. 31, only to be overtaken by the Mariners. This is a team that choked to the tune of 7-20 in September. It’s a team whose starting pitching compiled a majors-worst 7.09 ERA over the final month.
doh.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 pm 
Red Sox win dubious distinction for biggest collapse From Reuters: "Boston earned the dubious distinction of most awful final-month crash, a black mark of misery compounded by their status as preseason favorites after an off-season spending spree gave them a $161 million payroll that was third highest in the major leagues. Losers of 20 of their last 27 games, the Red Sox came apart from a combination of injuries, a depleted starting rotation and shoddy execution as the mounting pressure of failure wore on the boys from Beantown, who fell in their final game to the last-placed Baltimore Orioles." The Sox paid Carl Crawford almost $400,000 for each RBI he had this season. embarassedlaugh.gif I love that they choked to a last-place team. agree.gif And that this year's Braves had the all-time choke record for September at 8 1/2 games, but the Sox managed to to beat that new record on the last day of the season. lol.gif

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostThu Sep 29, 2011 12:42 pm 
Man id love to be a fly on the wall in the locker room after that last game because Tito probably went apeshit! flammable.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Sep 29, 2011 12:57 pm 
Won't be shedding any tears over here. Just remember all the trophies Boston already has. Playing that way down the stretch they deserve to be out.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu Sep 29, 2011 10:12 pm 
They certainly sucked in september, and as Brooklyn fans used to say "it deserved them right" to miss the playoffs. That said, the "worst collapse" hype is bogus, and only applies if you arbitrarily pick september 1st as the reference point. If you use the relevant stat, i.e., lead-blown/games-to-play, lots of teams have had worse collapses, including Braves this year. Let's remember that the true epic choke was Yankees in 2004: the only team in ANY major sport to blow a 3-0 lead in a seven game playoff series.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Sep 30, 2011 6:55 am 
CC wrote:
Let's remember that the true epic choke was Yankees in 2004: the only team in ANY major sport to blow a 3-0 lead in a seven game playoff series.
Well it's happened 3 times in the NHL. 1942 to Detroit, 1975 to Pittsburgh and most recently interestingly enough to the Boston Bruins in 2010 who had a 3-0 lead over the Philadelphia Flyers, proceeded to lose game #4 in OT and then choked off the final three games of the series. I guess many don't consider Hockey a major sport lol.gif

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Sep 30, 2011 7:47 am 
tigermn wrote:
I guess many don't consider Hockey a major sport lol.gif
You are correct sir (stand by for incoming from any Canadians on this thread).

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostFri Sep 30, 2011 8:08 am 
tigermn wrote:
I guess many don't consider Hockey a major sport lol.gif
Just the sport favored by the gods, played by the most elite athletes on earth...or in the universe for that matter... banana.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Sep 30, 2011 12:28 pm 
tigermn wrote:
I guess many don't consider Hockey a major sport
It is a religion and a national heritage, not a sport.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostSun Oct 02, 2011 3:11 pm 
Guess this passed for baseball talk in a region where the home team is typically eliminated before Labor Day. hihi.gif Gotta be pretty new to baseball not to realize that this sort of agonizing outcome is commonplace for America's Most Beloved Sports Team. Not to worry... every game at Fenway will sell out again next season, and the Red Sox faithful will continue to drown out the befuddled locals at Safeco. up.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Oct 07, 2011 4:57 am 
Tigers disqualified the Yanks up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Oct 07, 2011 6:52 am 
Bottom of the 9th, A-Wad goes down swinging. Tigers win 3-2, and the Yankees are done. nopity.gif banana.gif 0-4 with the bases loaded? lol.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?