Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Can posts in a thread be numbered?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Oct 02, 2011 6:42 pm 
Some other forums assign a consecutive number to posts in each thread. If its not a lot of work to implement, I think that would be a useful feature. If a certain post in a long thread had useful info, it would be easy to direction attention to that post.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSun Oct 02, 2011 6:45 pm 
To the left of the date in each post is a small icon that looks like a piece of paper. If you click that, you can get a link directly to that post. Is that what you are looking for?

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Oct 03, 2011 1:26 am 
He's looking for a visible indicator that starts with #1 in each thread and goes up. Mostly likely so that people can refer to other posts by number, i.e. this would be #3. I disagree with #1. I think that referring to posts by number is relatively annoying and impersonal. If you want to refer to another post or poster, quote them. *shrug*

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Oct 03, 2011 5:11 am 
DHM correctly described what I was looking for but Marta's suggestion will work fine. Thanks.

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostThu Oct 06, 2011 11:33 am 
Posts can be numbered in view topic... There are a variety of mods on phpBB forums indicating methods... Just need to verify if the mod will work with the phPBB version NWH is using... An example... http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/post_number_in_viewtopic/

Happy Trails... pasayten
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Oct 06, 2011 11:48 am 
I don't see the point. If we add post numbering, even if it's configurable, we're going to have people saying things like "I totally disagree with #4. He's an idiot. #6 is right on, though." If you want to reference my post, say my name. Or quote me.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short