Forum Index > Trail Talk > Buckhorn & Royal Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
brownster145

brownster145
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 7:27 pm 
Has Anybody Ever Been to Buckhorn or Royal Lake on the Olympic Peninsula? If so, how was the hike? Does anybody have information on fishing conditions at either or both of these lakes? Any Information would be appreciated. I'm planning a trip for next week. I will be leaving on 7/24. Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 9:15 pm 
Yes.....you will find little brookies perhaps a few odd cutthroat, nothing special. Beautiful country however, especially up near Buckhorn Peak or the more obscrue areas of the Buckhorn Wilderness. See Olympic Treks and Traverses on my site...

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
brownster145

brownster145
PostFri Jul 19, 2002 4:34 pm 
McPilchuck- Are brookies and cutts in both lakes? I read in an older hiking book that Buckhorn contains Rainbow and Royal contains the Brookies. This information could very well be outdated or even inaccurate. Also, which of the two lakes has better campsites? Thanks.

Tsolo

Tsolo
PostSun Jul 21, 2002 10:51 pm 
I've been to Royal Lake three times; it's pretty scenic, with lots of campsites in a meadow just below. The alpine area above (Royal Basin) is even better. Never been to Buckhorn Lake, but the R. Wood Oly guide describes it as a "beastly, miserable hole". Once at Royal Lake (mid-July, 25 years ago) I took a serious fisherman friend along. First I dragged him up Mt. Deception (second highest peak in the Olympics). Then he got to fish Royal Lake. There were lots of mosquitos around, and after he figured out what a good dry-fly match was, he proceeded to catch lots of trout, all about 7-8 inches in size. Not sure what kind they were, but we cooked some up for dinner, and for someone used to freeze-dried food, they were sure good...

brownster145

brownster145
PostMon Jul 22, 2002 1:33 pm 
Tsolo- Thank you. Can anybody confirm this report of Buckhorn as being a "beastly, miserable hole?" It looks small on the map, yes, but if it does indeed support fish, there must at least be some clean water in the hole?

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jul 23, 2002 6:38 pm 
You will find Buckhorn Lake a real bug hole with no view and from they are small similar to Royal Lake fish. Many of the lakes in the Buckhorns contain brookies originally planted by the Forest Service rather than the old Game Dept. Many Buckhorn lakes have cutthroat (Twin Lake strain) too, which is not a desirable fish either, and also on the small side, some lakes contain both species. Rainbows are more desirable but you won't find them in too many lakes there, especially if they have not been planted for decades in specific lakes. I would refer you to the Trail Blazers web site: http://www.watrailblazers.org Both areas are grand, but you will find that those lakes don't produce fat fish and they get pounded by ever angler that happens to take a fishing rod along. If you go, post your results if they are contrary to my knowledge. I just got home from another Olympics adventure in the Buckhorn Wilderness near Mt. Townsend, then another trip into the Skokomish Wilderness up Mt. Ellinor. Both were grand.

Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostThu Jul 25, 2002 5:44 pm 
brwnster, post your email on the site and you may find you will get info some deem it wiser not to put out to the masses. Dave Weyrick.

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
brownster145

brownster145
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 9:57 pm 
Sorry about that- I didnt realize that my email wasn't available. I didn't end up going to Buckhorn after all. A ranger who had been up to the lake last week said that the bugs were terrible and would ruin a trip... I guess you guys were right about the miserable bug hole. Well... Thanks to all that tried to help

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 10:35 pm 
Just to clarify, registered users can click on the email link at the bottom of your post(s) to send you an email. The email is sent via the forum software to protect the identity of your email address (from spam bots that crawl the web). Your email address only becomes visible if you reply to someone via email. If you don't want anyone to be able to email you from the forum you can turn that off too (in your profile). Unregistered users cannot send email or private messages.

buzz

buzz
PostSat Jul 27, 2002 8:57 am 
I though only the Cascades had bug infestations in July? shakehead.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jul 27, 2002 7:13 pm 
Normally the Buckhorn Wilderness is not too buggy because of the lesser rainfall on the leeward side of the Olympics, but little lakes like Buckhorn that are not too high in elevation are definite bug holes.