Forum Index > Photography Talk > Transferring pictures from laptop to PC
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
foofoofunky

foofoofunky
PostMon Aug 02, 2004 3:16 pm 
My husband and I are going on a 2.5 week road trip up to the Canadian Rockies. We have two 256k memory cards and a laptop. The memory cards are enough for our overnight backpacking trips, but not for the whole vacation. We have the device that downloads the pictures from the memory card into the laptop. Our laptop does not have a CD burner, so we are at a loss at how we can transfer all of our pictures from our laptop to our PC when we come home. What are our options? The cheaper the better, of course.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nomad

Nomad
PostMon Aug 02, 2004 6:09 pm 
I move pictures between a laptop and desk PC all the time. I use one of those little USB removable drives (Jump drives, Thumb drives, or what the correct name is). If you don’t have one you can use an inexpensive card reader and your memory card. Just drag and drop pictures on and off the card. You didn’t say what kind of memory card you have but Fry’s Electronics has 256 Compact Flash cards on sale this week for $14.99 after rebate. One per customer

"Of all the fire mountains which, like beacons, once blazed along the Pacific Coast, Mount Rainier is the noblest." - John Muir "If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." - Anatole France
foofoofunky

foofoofunky
PostTue Aug 03, 2004 7:42 am 
[quote="gary"]Do you know if both computers are network ready (i.e. have network cards or slots)? If so, a cross-over cable would be very cheap. They are simply regular old cables with a couple of the wires reversed. I'll have to check if they're network ready, they're both fairly new so I would think so. 1) So is the device something with a cable on it, and do you insert the memory card into the device? yup. 2) What version Windows are you running? 2000 Sounds like it's very possible to figure this one out. Great!

Bob K

Bob K
PostTue Aug 03, 2004 2:49 pm 
This might be kinda cumbersome, but you should be able to also use your 256k cards for transferring the pictures. Laptop->256k card->PC It might take a lot of 256k-chunk transfers, but if your PC will take your card-reading device, it should work.

OverTheHill

OverTheHill
PostTue Aug 03, 2004 9:51 pm 
moving pictures from notebook to desktop
Managed to take several hundred pictures on a recent eight-day trip. Downloaded from memory card to notebook as card got more than a hundred or so. Back home I used one of the little USB portable drives to copy all trip photos from the notebook to the desktop. Took just a few seconds. My USB portable drive was $39, same as the Compact Flash card. But the USB drive holds 256MB, a thousand times more than the 256KB memory card. Have also taken the USB drive along when visiting friends and did not want to take the notebook. Copy our pictures onto their computer in a few seconds, run a slide show, and they can delete them as we drive away!

foofoofunky

foofoofunky
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 11:26 am 
Ha, yeah I meant to say 256 mb cards (we have 2 of them). I thought about that yesterday- transferring from the laptop back onto the card then onto the PC. That would be the free way to do it, but I wonder if it would take a really long time to do it. Anyway, thanks for all the advice!