Forum Index > Gear Talk > Merino wool socks are back at Costco
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 11:36 am 
I'm not sure if they are seasonal, or just episodic, but the (70% or so) Merino wool hiker socks are back in stock at Costco (similar to Smartwool, or not similar, or exactly the same, depending on who you ask embarassedlaugh.gif ). I think I paid $11.99 for a package of four pairs. These are the ones where one pair is blue-ish, one pair is brown-ish, and two pairs are blue/gray-ish. That comes to $3 per pair. cool.gif I think they are 73% Merino wool, maybe 1% spandex, and 26% upsydaisium, since they make you feel like you are floating on a cushion of air. suuure.gif I wore a pair on Tuesday on an off-trail (mostly) hike to a sekrit ridge near Mt Baker, which included plenty of side-hilling and tilted trail (when there was one), and they were awesome. They wick away moisture, and they don't slide around in my boots, and they felt cushion-y even at the end of the hike. And they didn't make my feet hot, even though it was a "hot" day (60?). PS: I've never worn wool socks hiking before, ever. I bought these figuring I wouldn't like them but I could always take them back. I was almost shocked at how great they were. I hate the feel of wool on my skin, usually. These were very soft, not scratchy at all, I took to them right away.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 2:51 pm 
I've been wearing those Costco socks almost daily for years. I wear them hiking, snowboarding and to work. They last well and work as well as the socks you pay $11.99 for 1 pair.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 3:12 pm 
I've been using them for several years. IME, they are indistinguishable from the equivalent Smartwool except, of course, for the price. I'm wearing them now. (BTW, Costco store #1 had them two months ago.)
Slugman wrote:
26% upsydaisium, since they make you feel like you are floating on a cushion of air. suuure.gif
They will pack out after a few uses. biggrin.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 3:44 pm 
I was scared away from wool hiking socks by seeing them at REI for $17.95 per pair. eek.gif I was afraid I'd like them. embarassedlaugh.gif The Costco brand appears to have the same fabric ratios as the Smartwool. When I did some Google searching for reviews of the Costco socks, I found them mentioned on websites devoted to survivalists, hunters, fishermen, hikers, kayakers, bargain hunters, you name it. They all said the same thing: great socks, great value. Once I get up enough courage to try Ex Officio underwear (or similar), the last vestige of my "cotton days" will be gone, assuming of course that I like them. I sometimes think I'm the last dinosaur holding onto my cotton. But my shirts, shorts and now socks are cotton-free. smile.gif

shadetree

shadetree
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 4:10 pm 
I've been wearing the Costco merino wool socks daily for years. I have found them to be more durable than rei's light weight hiking socks. They arrive at the gig harbor and tacoma costco's ever fall.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 4:31 pm 
I just this minute saw a news break on Kiro 7. They said that police have been called to a local Costco to do crowd control. At 5 pm, they will tell us what "caused people to swarm this big box store". Ha, I know right now. People read this thread, and are hurrying over to buy socks. embarassedlaugh.gif ykm.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 7:00 pm 
Been using them for three years for winter hiking. Love them. Wish they made an ankle high version. It's irritating to see one pair of socks at an 'outdoor store' selling for more than a four pack at costco.

snowhat

snowhat
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 7:35 pm 
+1 for the Costco socks. I just wish they would sell some liners to go with them. I always wear liners, and they can be $6-$9 depending on the brand. I bought a big box of hotties handwarmers too. What a deal compared to the regular price!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 10:46 pm 
Thanks Slugman! Great buy! up.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 10:52 pm 
All well and good if you are a Cosco member, which I am not, nor will be, unless I marry into a large family, highly unlikely. So, I guess I am sol. bawl.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 10:56 pm 
Hmm, my Costco seems to have them year round. I wouldn't say they are indistinguishable from the smartwool socks, but at a fraction of the price it's an easy choice.

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostThu Oct 20, 2011 10:58 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
All well and good if you are a Cosco member, which I am not, nor will be, unless I marry into a large family, highly unlikely. So, I guess I am sol. bawl.gif
your just going to have to find one of our NW hiker buddies to help you out with that! No big deal to bring someone to Costco smile.gif

half fast

half fast
PostFri Oct 21, 2011 12:08 am 
They are $10.99 for a 4 pack at the Sequim Costco which is the closest store to me... up.gif up.gif sometimes it pays to live right before the earth drops off... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
trestle

trestle
PostFri Oct 21, 2011 6:53 am 
Slugman wrote:
Once I get up enough courage to try Ex Officio underwear (or similar), the last vestige of my "cotton days" will be gone, assuming of course that I like them.
You will love them! I just use the REI knockoffs but they are now my most important piece if I know I'm going to be sweating at all. Oh so comfy for all involved.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Ziploc

Ziploc
PostFri Oct 21, 2011 8:59 am 
johnson37 wrote:
Slugman wrote:
Once I get up enough courage to try Ex Officio underwear (or similar), the last vestige of my "cotton days" will be gone, assuming of course that I like them.
You will love them! I just use the REI knockoffs but they are now my most important piece if I know I'm going to be sweating at all. Oh so comfy for all involved.
The Ex Officio briefs require a good pant belt because they are a bit slick. embarassedlaugh.gif Or may result in a "pants on the ground" moment. Thanks for the info SM. Costco merino socks up.gif up.gif