Forum Index > Trail Talk > Queets/ Tshletshy Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boaterbrett

boaterbrett
PostFri Jul 08, 2011 1:24 pm 
I just finished hiking up Three Lakes Trail, over the low saddle and into Tshletshy with my kayak, overnight gear and all that (90 lbs worth). We lost the trail at ~2800 feet. It went under a 6' snow wall. Snow all the way up and over, found the trail once on the way down for a bit. Found it again when we got down to the river (finally). Never saw a trail again after that, only game trails here and there. Great adventure. Amazingly beautiful forest. Brilliant whitewater. Check here for a teaser trip report before we put out a full video!! The amount of snow in there (~10 feet at the low saddle) really helped us get our kayaks over the blow down. I never saw any of it!! We were in the snow for a looong time, too. Thanks! Enjoy. - Brett http://gorgehits.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/tshletshy-creek-wa/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
snowdeuce
Camp Cook

snowdeuce
Camp Cook
PostFri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 pm 
Amazing trip! Thanks for the report, and welcome to the site!

Repeal the parking fee for WA state public lands! The Ninth Circuit court has said this isn't allowed for federal public lands; why are we allowing it at the state level?
bdrkayaker

bdrkayaker
PostFri Jul 08, 2011 7:41 pm 
Awesome Brett! rockband.gif Can't wait for the video, and am eager to read the reactions on PP when you post it there.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
boaterbrett

boaterbrett
PostFri Sep 16, 2011 10:48 am 
Here is my blog post with a TON of photos. Tshletshy is a special place. Video coming very soon. Check the blog for Tshletshy updates. Enjoy!! http://creeksides.blogspot.com/2011/09/tshletshy-creek.html Brett

Phil

Phil
PostFri Sep 16, 2011 7:39 pm 
Great stuff Brett. I'd be pleased with a trip on foot thru there, and you guys are hauling and riding kayaks. Badass!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 4:51 am 
re: Tshletshy Creek Trail "The trail was built in the 1920s for the Forest Service by George Shaube, with a six-man crew." (source: Olympic Mountains Trailguide - Second Edition © 1991 Robert L. Wood)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 5:21 am 
re: Trails in Queets Valley "By 1935 the Forest Service had completed 962 miles of trails and associated facilities including campgrounds and overnight shelters." (ONP GMP May 2006 pp. 126) "There are approximately 611 miles of maintained trail within the wilderness." (ONP GMP May 2006 pp. 118) From 962 to 611 is a 37% net reduction in trail miles between 1935 and 2006. - Net decrease in trail miles in the Queets Valley (1935-2006): Sams River Trail: first 4.5 miles within ONP, remaining 7.5 miles was in ONF. 12 miles total. abandoned. Kloochman Rock Trail: 3.4 miles. abandoned. Lower Crossing Way Trail (formerly Lower Crossing Trail): 0.8 miles. no longer maintained. last cleared 2008 (?) Upper Crossing Way Trail (formerly first 0.8 miles of Tshletshy Creek Trail): no longer maintained. last cleared 2008 (?) Tshletshy Creek Trail - 16.2 miles. last cleared 1969. abandoned. Length of Queets River Trail (trailhead to Pelton Creek Shelter): 16.2 miles. Total length of trail miles originally within Queets Valley: 41.9 Total ONP trail miles in Queets Valley abandoned or no longer maintained: 25.7 miles From 41.9 to 16.2 is a 62% net reduction in trail miles between 1935 and 2006. Notes on above figures: - Math is fuzzy on total trail miles. The "Upper Crossing Way Trail" was the first 0.8 miles of the "Tshletshy Creek Trail". The distance shown for the "Lower Crossing Way Trail" is only the distance shown between the Lower Crossing Way Trail junction (@ 4.2 miles) and the ford approximately 0.5 miles below Smith Place and does not include that portion of the trail on the south bank (from the ford to Smith Place.) - Trail miles are taken from "Custom Correct" map, or "Olympic Mountains Trail Guide - Second Edition" (© 1991 Robert L. Wood), or "100 Hikes in South Cascades and Olympics - Second Edition" (© 1992 Spring & Manning) - Portions of the Queets River Trail which have been re-routed recently may have caused actual trail miles to increase or decrease, but not to any significant degree. (Specifically re-routes of trail below Lower Crossing Way Trail Junction (approx. 3.5-4.2 miles), and "burro re-route" just above Spruce Bottom (approx. 5.3-5.9 miles.) - The first (approx.) 1.5 miles of trail were originally a road which went to the Andrews farm, and was still in use by automobiles ca. 1948-1949)(source: pers. comm. EKL) - Re-route of trail at washout at Paradise Creek scheduled for completion late summer 2012. Delay in repair partly due to 300% of normal snowpack during winters of 2010 and 2011. (source: pers. comm. ONP 11-09-11)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 24, 2011 6:15 am 
With the exception of the trailhead registration kiosk at the end of the road, all of the signage along the Queets River Trail has been removed or is no longer extant. Over the course of four days during my most recent visit, I observed three separate instances where people were either not able to find their intended destination (Queets 'Big Fir Trail' @ 2.5 miles), or took a wrong turn ('Lower Crossing Way Trail' Junction @ 4.2 miles). While I don't support the idea of restoring the Queets to conditions which existed previously (see below), with signs at every mile, stream crossing, and shelter, I do believe the complete lack of signage along the trail fails to serve the best interests of Park users. At the minimum, there should be clear signage restored at the 'Big Fir Trail' @ 2.5 miles, the 'Lower Crossing Way Trail' Junction @ 4.2 miles, and at the 'Upper Crossing' @ 6.0 miles. Replacing the signage at those locations would be minimally invasive on the landscape, and if fabricated in a manner consistent with the character of Olympic National Park, would protect and preserve the cultural and historical resources of the Park, of which those old signs were an intrinsic part. - Signs and other man-made/man-placed objects in the the Queets River Valley observed by myself 1958-present: (revised 11/01/14 @ 11:30 PST) Sign: "Queets Trail" at beginning of trail on north bank just across Queets River opposite mouth of Sams River. ( still extant 2009 ) Trail Register at beginning of trail on north bank just across Queets River opposite mouth of Sams River. ( relocated to south bank at end of Queets River Road ) Sign: "Old Joe Creek" - affixed to tree just before "Old Joe Creek" ( approx. 1/2 mile up trail ). ( no longer extant ) Bridge spanning "Old Joe Creek" - log stringer bridge used by John Andrews and others. This was a bridge built for autos, not hikers. ( no longer extant ) Sign: "1" - mile marker sign 1 mile up Queets River Trail - affixed to small spruce on south side of trail. ( no longer extant ) Sign: "Andrews Lower Field" - affixed to southwest corner of Andrews Barn ( approx. 1.5 miles up trail ) - visible in B. Kirk photo taken 1971. ( no longer extant ) Sign: "Spruce Bottom Shelter - 3.5 miles" - affixed to southwest corner of Andrews Barn ( approx. 1.5 miles up trail ) - visible in B. Kirk photo taken 1971. ( no longer extant ) Cement fence posts at northeast corner of Andrews Field ( formerly Andrews Lower Field ) approx. 1.5 miles up trail. ( still extant Sept. 2011 ) Structure remnants at eastern edge of clearing at Andrews Field. These would have been outbuildings on the Andrews farm. Still visible in late 1950's and into early 1960's. ( no longer extant ) Cement foundation of barn, rusted metal objects at northwest corner of Andrews Field ( formerly Andrews Lower Field ) approx. 1.5 miles up trail. ( still extant Sept. 2011 ) Bridge over un-named drainage approx. 1.9 miles up trail, just past Andrews Lower Field. Short (10 ft) log-stringer footbridge with ripped spruce slab deck. ( still extant Sept. 2011 ) Sign: "Andrews Upper Field" - affixed to red alder tree in center of Andrews Upper Field approx 2.3 miles up trail. ( Clearing is barely discernable as of September 2011 ) Fence posts and barb wire at Andrews Upper Field at south boundary of Andrews Upper Field approx. 2.3 miles up trail. ( Still extant as of 2009 ) Sign: "Coal Creek" located at Coal Creek - 2.5 miles up Queets Trail. ( no longer extant ) Sign: "Record Douglas Fir" - affixed to post near Coal Creek at beginning of "Big Fir Trail" - 2.5 miles up trail. ( no longer extant ) Sign: "Kloochman Rock Trail" - affixed to post on Coal Creek approx. 0.1 miles up "Big Fir Trail". ( last observed 1971 ) ( no longer extant ) Sign: "Largest Recorded Douglas Fir" - affixed to post next to Queets Fir. Sign shows details of tree ( diameter, height ). Located at end of "Big Fir Trail" 0.2 miles from Queets River Trail. ( still extant 2009 ) Sign: "Lower Crossing" - located at Lower Crossing Trail Junction 4.2 miles up trail - Text of original sign also listed distances to Tshletshy Creek Shelter and No. Fork Quinault. ( Sign last seen in Queets Ranger Station. ) ( no sign or marker at this location Sept. 2011 ) Sign: "Spruce Bottom Shelter" - affixed to trail shelter at Spruce Bottom. ( no longer extant ) Structure - Spruce Bottom Shelter - located 5.0 miles up trail. ( no longer extant ) ( site immediately south of two large Sitka Spruce which grow from common point. site is covered with snowberry. ) Structures at Smith Place - 6.0 miles up trail - including George Shaube cabin with Smith addition attached to south and outhouse located SSE of George Shaube cabin. ( structure in final stages of decay Sept. 2011 ) LCS No. 30105 ONP Structure No. 01250 LCS Action: Remove ( ONP GMP May 2006 ) ( Comments from GMP: "Half removed, half partially collapsed, minimal documentation." ) Hitching rail at Smith Place - 6.0 miles up trail - visible in B. Kirk photo taken 1966. ( no longer extant ) Sign: "6" - affixed to front wall of George Shaube homestead cabin ( Smith Place ) immediately to right of front door ( as viewed from front of structure ). ( no longer extant ) Sign: "Tshletshy Creek Trail" - located approx. 100 yards north of structure at Smith Place. Text was painted with red paint. ( no longer extant ) Barb wire remnants located in narrow stand of spruce due west of structure at Smith Place. ( still extant as of 2009 ) Metal tool box ( approx. 6' x 3' x 3' ) located approx. 150 feet NNW of trail opposite mouth of Tshletshy Creek approx. 7.0 miles up trail. ( NPS trail crew tool box ) ( still extant 2009 ) Structure - Pelton Creek Shelter - 16.2 miles up trail - collapsed 2009 ( ? ) LCS No. 30104 ONP Structure No. 00307 LCS Action: Retain ( ONP GMP May 2006 ) Sign: "Pelton Creek Shelter" - affixed to trail shelter at Pelton Creek 16.2 miles up trail. Sign: "End of Trail" - located just past Pelton Creek Shelter approx. 16.2 miles up trail. Last seen mid-1990's. ( no longer extant ) Ceramic insulators used for telephone system - brown and white - observed from beginning of trail and up as far as 6.5 miles. ( ? ) Fluorescent orange trail marker tags affixed to trees at various locations along Queets River Trail and Upper Crossing Way Trail. Cable cars and towers spanning river at Queets campground ( 0.0 miles ) and Smith Place ( 6.0 miles ). Removed by NPS 1964. ( no longer extant ) Trail register kiosk for Kloochman Rock trail located at top of Queets Ridge on north slope - WNW of Kloochman Rock - last observed July 15 1995. This register was not on the old "Kloochman Rock Trail". It was on an un-mapped trail I found going up to Kloochman from the DNR road system on the north slope of Queets Ridge ( Queets-Clearwater divide ). It was an NPS register. Structure - George Anderson barn located approximately 1/2 mile east of NPS boundary along Lower Queets Road on south side of road. Structure still extant as of 102514. * Mile marker signs may have also been located at 2 and 5 miles. Memory is vague on those. - per G. Patton there were signs at Alta Creek and Kilkelly Rapids, as well as remnants ( metal stove pipe, cut lumber ) of some sort of camp or structure located on south bank between Alta and Kilkelly Creeks. ( NOT CONFIRMED as of Sept. 2011 ) (source: pers. comm. G. Patton 1989, 2009) - (revised 11/01/14 @ 11:30 am PST)

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 03, 2016 11:01 pm 
Man-made objects extant in Queets Valley Within Boundaries of Olympic National Park (revised 05/27/22) Remains of structure - George Anderson barn located approximately 1/2 mile east of NPS boundary along Lower Queets Road on south side of road. Structure still extant as of 10/25/14. (structure partially collapsed 05/19/19. structure completely collapsed as of 2020.) Cement bridge spanning Salmon River at approx. mile 1.0 (on lower Queets River Road approx. 1.0 miles from Hwy 101) Cement bridge spanning Matheny Creek at road mile 7.0 (on lower Queets River Road 7.0 miles from Hwy 101) Remains of structure (possibly pump house) along lower end of road on north side of road. (not sure if still extant. last observed in early 2000's.) Sign: "Queets Trail" at beginning of trail on north bank of river @ mile 0.0 Cement fence posts at northeast corner of Andrews Field ( formerly Andrews Lower Field ) approx. 1.5 miles up trail. Remains of automobile frame at northeast corner of Andrews Field (formerly Andrews Lower Field) approx. 1.5 miles up trail. Cement foundation of Andrews Barn at northwest corner of Andrews Field (formerly Andrews Lower Field) approx. 1.5 miles up trail. Fence posts and barbed wire remnants at Andrews Upper Field at south boundary of Andrews Upper Field (Vic Andrews homestead) approx. 2.3 miles up trail. ( Still extant as of 2009 ) Cement remnants at east edge of clearning. Sign: "World's Largest Douglas Fir" at Queets "Big Fir" located @ end of "Big Fir" trail 0.2 miles off Queets Trail mile 2.5 Remains of structure at Smith Place @ trail mile 6.0 - ( structure in final stages of decay Sept. 2011 ) LCS No. 30105 ONP Structure No. 01250 LCS Action: Remove ( ONP GMP May 2006 ) ( Comments from GMP: "Half removed, half partially collapsed, minimal documentation." ) Remains consist primarily of rotting structural lumber, plywood, galvanized hot water tank, porcelain enameled wood stove, steel cable, plumbing, miscellaneous hardware, broken glass, asphalt tarpaper, and iron glider. Barbed wire remnants located in narrow stand of spruce due west of structure at Smith Place. ( still extant as of 2009 ) Metal tool box ( approx. 6' x 3' x 3' ) located approx. 150 feet NNW of trail opposite mouth of Tshletshy Creek approx. 7.0 miles up trail. ( NPS trail crew tool box ) ( still extant 2009 ) Ceramic insulators used for telephone system - brown and white - observed from beginning of trail and up as far as 6.5 miles. ( ? ) (early maps show phone line extending almost to Kilkelly Creek, so it is possible ceramic insulators may remain affixed to trees far up the valley.) Fluorescent orange trail marker tags affixed to trees at various locations along Queets River Trail and Upper Crossing Way Trail. == NPS infrastructure having little or no cultural or historical value: Queets Ranger Station located @ approx. mile 12 along Queets River Road. Fixtures include Ranger Station, small outbuilding (storage), privy, sign, flag pole, rail fence. Queets Campground located @ end of Queets River Road. Fixtures include picnic tables, steel fire grates, vault toilet, signs, trailhead kiosk. Signs at Park entrance on lower Queets River Road @ 0.5 miles from Hwy 101 Signs at Park entrance on approach to upper Queets River Road @ end of FS Road 2180-010 Signs - various road signs along length of both upper and lower Queets River Road (speed limit, curve arrow, "dip", etc.) Signs at "Sams Loop Trail" at end of road, across from Ranger Station, behind Ranger Station, and approx. 150 feet west of first entrance to campground. (per personal communication with E. Vail (phone 09/15) remains of Pelton Creek Shelter were consumed in Paradise Fire of 2015.) ( revised 05/27/22 18:00 PDT BK )

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostFri Oct 28, 2016 12:36 pm 
Ski, i think there were a few buildings (At least one) at Kelly's field (That's what we called it) about 2.5 miles on the road from the campground. I remember a small cement structure near a creek that my father always refereed to as the water wheel house. I'm sure I can find it next time I'm up there and will snap some pics. Also I remember we spent a full afternoon there digging up old bottles near by it one time. He was particularly proud of his intact Sloan's Liniment bottle find. Also I didn't' see anything about the Streater's crossing graveyard.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 29, 2016 12:03 am 
Quote:
I'm sure I can find it next time I'm up there and will snap some pics.
Please do. There are (or were) remains of a structure up there on the north side of the road, but I cannot recall exactly where they were located. It was a bit off the road, and was accessed easily on foot via a short pullout. Again, not exactly sure of the location. I think it may have been a pump house, but I can't confirm that. The last time I saw it would have been at least 15 years ago. The Streater family would prefer the site you mentioned above remain undisturbed, which is why it has been deliberately left off the above list. wink.gif