Forum Index > Trip Reports > Boulder River Falls / SR 530 near Darrington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostFri Dec 09, 2011 11:54 pm 
Today was my first hike meeting up with Hiker Mama. We decided to do Boulder River Falls as she would have her two kids and another friend with young children too. The temperature was freezing! 27 degrees on my way up the 530.
The road to the trail head frosty below, sunny above
The road to the trail head frosty below, sunny above
Boulder River December 9th 069
Boulder River December 9th 069
More frosty trees
More frosty trees
The road to the TH was great, some pot holes but has been kept up. We layered up and were on our way. The kids having a great time.
Our gang getting ready to hike Boulder River trail - Gabriel, Zander, Anya and Annika
Our gang getting ready to hike Boulder River trail - Gabriel, Zander, Anya and Annika
Boulder River December 9th 024
Boulder River December 9th 024
There were pieces of branch and sections of trees that had these interesting ice growths coming out of them. Anyone know what these are called?
Boulder River December 9th 023
Boulder River December 9th 023
We were the only group on the traily today. Funny not to see another soul outside of our group. This trail is usually fairly busy. Still beautiful as ever.
Forest beauty.
Forest beauty.
Boulder River December 9th 019
Boulder River December 9th 019
Arriving at the falls
Gabriel almost to the falls.
Gabriel almost to the falls.
Boulder River December 9th 036
Boulder River December 9th 036
Lots of ice on the rocks down at the beach by the river:
My favorite picture of the day.  Ice encrusted portion of the river.
My favorite picture of the day. Ice encrusted portion of the river.
Boulder river
Boulder river
Annika poking the ice
Annika poking the ice
Hiker Mama with her little hikers:
Jennifer, Gabriel and Annika in front of the falls.
Jennifer, Gabriel and Annika in front of the falls.
Lunch break
Lunch break
Lunch break
The kids having so much fun exploring
The kids having so much fun exploring
Boulder falls boot shot
Boulder falls boot shot
We went to the first set of falls. Its only about 2 miles RT. I have hiked to the end several times that makes it 8.4 RT according to my guide book. Its usually snow free. HIker Mama and her little ones were great. It turned out to be a very cold but sunny day and lots of fun!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSat Dec 10, 2011 12:04 am 
Nice hike! The cool frost is called hoar frost. I like the ice pic too. For some reason I recently heard the road was covered with snow, but that's obviously not the case. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostSat Dec 10, 2011 1:06 am 
Nice hike! I was also thinking that the road is covered in snow... I was there with three boys (5, 6, 7 yrs old) in late spring, it is good hike for kids. We had many weird looks from fellow hikers when I opened bag of potato chips and we were eating them as we hiked. (I had to bribe them somehow to keep going smile.gif lol.gif )

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Dec 10, 2011 1:07 am 
That's awesome of you to get out with the kids! up.gif I should take my Sons up there, I have never been on that trail, so it would be a first for all of us. Nice ice and falls pics as well.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Dec 10, 2011 1:41 am 
Great getting out. Especially with small kids and in those conditions. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Dec 10, 2011 1:48 am 
Zander appears to be a Gnome in the making, what with her above the head staff. up.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Dec 10, 2011 7:00 am 
great seeing the kids enjoying 'hiking' ... start them young! up.gif the 'frost' is called hair ice. here's a site that explains it (with some of my photos biggrin.gif )

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
retromama

retromama
PostSat Dec 10, 2011 9:00 pm 
"the 'frost' is called hair ice." Glad I read this thread. On our hike today I saw the same thing and it reminded me of the spun glass angel hair they use to have in the 1970's. Pikawhisperer- It looks like the kids are actually enjoying themselves. I don't think my kids really enjoy hiking all that much, but I keep trying. We aren't equipped for any snow hiking so we've been sticking to urban hikes. It's hard to keep the troops motivated with the cold and wet weather.

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostSat Dec 10, 2011 9:26 pm 
I think the kids were having lots of fun because they had friends with them. Hiker Mama said that made all the difference for her kids smile.gif

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Dec 10, 2011 10:42 pm 
I was so glad it finally worked out to get together with Pikawhisperer for a hike, and super happy that my friends got up the gumption to join us, too. Sometimes it's daunting for folks to get packed and prepared for a dayhike with kids when they aren't used to what's involved. My friend B and her kids X and A are dear to us, and we've been trying to get them on a dayhike with us for a long time. It makes such a difference having other kids along - I hardly had to do any Extreme Motivating; the only whining we had was when we were almost to the waterfall, and I think Annika was just hungry and needing food. Otherwise the kids kept up a brisk pace. We were entranced by the silky frost on the branches. I have seen photos and remembered Bobbi having some published recently, and we managed to find the website when we got back home. I was heartsick that I had forgotten my camera. doh.gif shakehead.gif bawl.gif We were glad we had the layers of clothing along to keep everyone toasty warm. I don't really do winter sports, but we do like to get out in every season and I like the kids to have snow gear for winter and shoulder season hikes (I find gear a lot at thrift stores for them.) The icicles along the cliffs brought out the girls' imaginations, and they turned into fairy wands to carry, melting and getting their gloves wet. The frosty, leafless deciduous trees provided an interesting backdrop along the beginning part of the trail. We did need to be careful on the few wooden boardwalks, as they were coated in ice. The rocks along the river at the waterfall were icy, as well, though that didn't stop the children from climbing all over them like goats. For my kids, hiking is all about finding a cool place to play, and I think we could have stayed at the waterfall all day if it had been warmer. Someone on WTA commented on how they didn't think this was a good trail for children; mine had no problems, but there are a couple short stretches of trail along cliffs that have some exposure, so if you have a youngster prone to bolting off or not steady on their feet, you might want to keep a tight grip on those parts. The toughest part of this hike is the path down from the main trail to the base of the waterfall. You do need your hands (and maybe your behind) to get down to the river. I was impressed that Annika was able to do it on her own, as she usually needs a lot of coaching to be brave enough for the steep stuff. Sigh, I guess she's growing up! This was a good choice for our hike; it's close enough for the short winter days, yet provides a dose of wilderness. Gabriel helped me to pick this hike out; he enjoys getting to have some say in our destinations now, and I think that helps him be a happier hiker. The road has a few big potholes in the very beginning, but don't let them scare you, as the road quickly improves. Be sure to take advantage of the privy on the side of the road about a mile up, as there is no outhouse at the trailhead. No pass is currently needed to park at this trailhead. Many thanks to Jessie for her patience and willingness to hike with children. I hope this is the first of many adventures we have together!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Dec 11, 2011 3:46 pm 
Good stuff. up.gif My kids hike best when there are other kids with us, especially older ones.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Dec 11, 2011 4:50 pm 
Magellan, we need to get our kids out together again! Long time no see!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com