Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Toni

Toni
PostWed Dec 14, 2011 11:29 am 
Flower Sniffer wrote:
How is it so far?
I just finished the 1st chapter...pg. 37. Jake, (main character) is about to enter the 'rabbit hole-time portal 1958', which is a small door in the back of a pantry in his friends restaurant. His friend, Al, is dying of cancer and this is his request of Jake, to enter and prevent the assasination of Pres. John Kennedy. It's been awhile since I've read a King novel, his imagination is still unbelievable as his humor. I have the first Dark Tower I book, but have not read it yet. Chap. 2 tonight......

There is no Planet B
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Canuck

Canuck
PostWed Dec 14, 2011 1:31 pm 
touron wrote:
After seeing the movie I read the book. up.gif up.gif up.gif The book follows the movie fairly closely and is well worth the read.
I finally saw that movie 2 weeks ago - it's been on my list for years and has been recorded on my DVR since February. I wasn't disappointed. One of the best movies I've seen in awhile. I'll look into the book, although... so depressing, and I usually read right before bed. I prefer something a little happier just before I go to bed!

Karen

Karen
PostWed Dec 14, 2011 4:29 pm 
I'm also reading the Stephen King book - I've always enjoyed King's books but still think his best was "The Stand" and "The Shining". Also am trudging through "Arguably Essays" by Christopher Hichens. I say "trudging" because after reading a couple of essays I realize that I'm not as well-read as I'd like to believe! My gosh, that man has a way with words no matter his subject! Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostWed Dec 14, 2011 8:32 pm 
The Stephen King book sounds interesting. I might have to read that... right after I finish the 82 Agatha Christie books in my garage. biggrin.gif

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
touron

touron
PostWed Dec 14, 2011 8:52 pm 
Flower Sniffer wrote:
... right after I finish the 82 Agatha Christie books in my garage. biggrin.gif
eek.gif Extreme mystery reading--I wouldn't read more than one or two in the garage (just for effect), then I'd move into the living room.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
touron

touron
PostWed Dec 14, 2011 8:56 pm 
Canuck wrote:
I finally saw that movie 2 weeks ago - it's been on my list for years and has been recorded on my DVR since February. I wasn't disappointed. One of the best movies I've seen in awhile. I'll look into the book, although... so depressing, and I usually read right before bed. I prefer something a little happier just before I go to bed!
The book follows the movie closely in many ways. There are some excerpts from the diary of the soldier who helped him near the end that are pretty interesting. He certainly lived through some grim times.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Toni

Toni
PostWed Dec 14, 2011 9:24 pm 
Flower Sniffer wrote:
right after I finish the 82 Agatha Christie books in my garage.
The garage? Then after the living room, I'd head to the Kitchen. Lordy! 82 books, I'd be in the cemetary by then and I'd want a full tummy! Seriously, are these 'short stories' or full novels?

There is no Planet B
Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostWed Dec 14, 2011 9:52 pm 
Smarty pantses! I was planning on reading them in bed. They are currently in boxes in the garage! biggrin.gif Right now I'm reading the first one I came to when I opened the first box. It's 217 pages, so it might take a while to get through 82 volumes, all of which are similar in length. It is pretty light reading though, and I'm a pretty fast reader, so it'll be fun! smile.gif

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
FootHiker

FootHiker
PostMon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 am 
Flying Through Midnight: A Pilot's Dramatic Story of His Secret Missions Over Laos During the Vietnam War, by John T. Halliday. http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Through-Midnight-Dramatic-Missions/dp/0312942036/ref=pd_sim_b_2 Amazing, white-knuckle recount of events over Laos when the author's reconnaisance plane began dumping fuel, over the Ho Chi Mihn Trail system far from a friendly landing site. The first chapters are a lead in. Also: Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock 'N' Roll Generation Saved Hollywood, by Peter Biskind. http://www.amazon.com/Riders-Raging-Bulls-Sex-Drugs-Rock/dp/0684857081/ref=pd_sim_b_1 Recounts the last "golden age" of movies, from 1968 through the 1970s. Reveals the "behind the scenes" events of many of the classics of that time, such as Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate, Easy Rider, Apocalypse Now, The Godfather, etc. They just don't make movies like that anymore.

Phil

Phil
PostTue Dec 20, 2011 10:28 am 
Stephenson's latest 1000 page epic: Reamde Unlike the others I'm getting into this one. Helps to have a past (or present) as a video game nerd.

Badger

Badger
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 1:17 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin, I am absolutely loving it! Bought the box set with the first four books that starts with Game. Don't think I have ever gone through 500 pages so fast.
George Martin just released an entire chapter of hias next book..#6! Burned thru 5 but decided I will wait to read the chapter until entire book comes out. Any guesses on how many years this one will take....?

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 2:26 pm 
I'm just about done with A Dance with Dragons. Really burned through the first four and decided to take my time on the fifth. I actually heard he released 2 or 3 chapters from the next one. People seem to think we'll have it in 2 or 3 years.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 3:26 pm 
“The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks,” Rebecca Skloot http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/books/review/Margonelli-t.html?pagewanted=all One of my sons gave this to me for Christmas and I could not put it down. The medical ethics issues were particularly fascinating to me as a physician. But, this book is riveting and I believe all would enjoy it.

touron

touron
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 8:12 pm 
I finally finished my book on Powell's Grand Canyon exploration. I think I will be reading Undaunted Tourons is next on my list. up.gif up.gif

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 9:11 am 
"Lennon: The Man, the Myth, the Music- The Definitive Life" by Tim Riley. Always been fascinated by the Beatles and read Spitz's book (The Beatles) and am very much enjoying this take on Johns life. He sure was a bastard sometimes, but had his reasons. A life taken away from us too soon in 1980. shakehead.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")