Forum Index > Trail Talk > Moose & Wild Turkey sighting!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 8:51 am 
I saw my first Moose in Washington! Coming down off of Calispell Mountain. I then saw my first Wild Turkey sighting! Two turkeys and about 12 babies by Rogers Mountain! Wow!

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 9:25 am 
Where exactly is Calispell mountain? I saw my first and only moose up at Davis Lake...north of Kettle Falls. It was about 10 years ago. I was deer hunting and all I saw at first was the back end sticking out of the bushes. My first thought was"Here it goes....a state record Mule deer!" Then it was "Jesus...Look at the moose" It was a thrill. BW biggrin.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 10:08 am 
Calispell Mtn. is above Colville...it has a good moose herd, in fact two friends of mine finally got permits/tags for two and got a 55 & 54 inch rack bulls up there about 3 years ago...both were measured by the Boone & Crooket Club. The area is also good whitetail deer hunting. The turkeys have been planted there now for a few decades paid for by sportsmen's dollars. Washington now boasts of having great turkey hunting having all the types now of wild turkeys. For years my family spent two weeks in camping/hunting Colville for whitetails, very successful.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 10:16 am 
I figured it had to be in the same area that I had been hunting, i.e...Davis Lake, Deadmans Creek, Mineral Mountain. Just a stones throw from Colville. Big Whitetail and Mulies eek.gif BW cool.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 11:11 am 
That entire portion of the NE corner of Washington is about my favorite place to go and hide and enjoy life at least once each summer. I have the advantage of having the Diamond Lake area out of Newport as a "home base" each summer when we go stay with the in-laws at their cabin, so I can be up by Sullivan Lake in an hour. I saw moose up the north side of Hall Mountain up the Sullivan Creek Valley back in 1990--about 8-9 of them. And while it isn't Washington, just "over the hill" in Idaho I have never gone up into Upper Priest Lake and NOT seen moose feeding in the grassy riverside marsh areas. I also have just recently seen my first wild turkey sightings, both last summer! The area up north of Cle Elum and in the Teanaways must be doing OK since one was by the Jungle Creek trailhead, the others were by Paris Creek and Thorp Mountain trailheads. Oh, if you are in the NE corner of the state be sure to try to get lucky and go early morning up Hall Mountain to see the bighorn sheep herd up there. Fall is a great time for this....

salish

salish
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 1:30 pm 
Moose in Chiwawa River Road
My wife and I were stunned to see a young bull moose hanging around our camp at Phelps Creek, just shy of Trinity, back in 1996 or thereabouts. I grew up camping in the area and you just never saw moose up there in the past. It was a nice thing to see. My bro-in-law drew a permit and got a bull on Mt. Spokane three years ago.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

PostMon Jul 29, 2002 2:10 pm 
Last moose I saw was inside the city limits of Sandpoint Id a couple years ago. Moose seem to be everywhere in eastern Wash / No Idaho these days. Used to go to a Boy Scout camp on the Diamond Lake Alan refers to. As he stated, a great starting point for exploring in a very quiet and remote area of the state.

IBEX

IBEX
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 9:05 pm 
Just plain grass.
There is a big ol’ bull moose the sometimes hangs around the Early Winters Ranger Station in the North Cascades. I saw him last year while driving back from The Pasayten. He was just off the road munchin’ some of that lush Methow Valley grass. There was a small traffic jam as everyone jumped out of their vehicles to snap pictures and gawk at the humongous rack on that guy. Strange thing was; it looked like regular grass too me. Nuthin’ special. biggrin.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 9:59 pm 
Hey Pappy, that's great to hear about your having experienced the Diamond Lake scout camping life. The place we stay at is just across the bay from the Boy Scout camp, and we enjoy sitting out in the evenings watching the line-up of canoes head across the way, or to hear the boys hollering around the campfire. It's always fun to watch the kids pile into camp on Sunday, and piling out on Saturdays.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSun Aug 04, 2002 10:13 pm 
i saw my first 25 Mountain Goats yesterday on Mt. Rainier, on the Trail from Frozen Lake to Shadow Lake, it was pretty neat, they were walking up a patch of snow and then sat up on the top for awhile. Ice Girl

nitpacker

nitpacker
PostMon Aug 05, 2002 6:22 am 
Around ten years ago a cow moose wandered into Whatcom County and was struck by a car about 5 miles north of Bellingham. My only sighting was in FInland, they are quite common there and cause a lot of road accidents.