Forum Index > Trail Talk > Road Conditions / Closures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 1:51 pm 
Official Sites - source of much of the information here Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest - Alerts and Notices Road and Trail Conditions Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest - Current Conditions Olympic National Forest - new Current Conditions page is now available Olympic National Park - Current Road Conditions hotline 360-565-3131 Mt Rainier National Park - Current Road Conditions hotline 360-569-2211 press 2 then (2 for current road conditions or 3 for anticipated opening/construction projects) Gifford Pinchot National Forest - Alerts & Notices Washington State DOT - Mountain Passes Naches Ranger District - Conditions Wenatchee River Ranger District - Conditions In general, post in alphabetical order by common road name within each section unless there are more natural geographical groupings (e.g. North Fork XXX, South Fork XXX) Mount Rainier Corral Pass (FS 7174) Closed since 2015 fire, campground area high severity fire with many hazardous trees. Chinook Pass (SR 410) website Mowich Lake Road (SR 165) Mowich Lake, Spray Park, Echo/Observation Rock Typically opens in July Stevens Canyon Road Grand Park back door, Huckleberry Creek Rd 73, Was in good condition 2023 all of the way to Lonesome Lake I-90 Talapus (9030), Mason Lake (9031)? Cold Creek Road (9070) to Windy Pass and PCT 7-22-2022 Drove to Mt Catherine TH in Subaru Forester. Several sections of serious potholes. Two sections with parallel gullies along the length of the road. Once the fall rains start those gullies will collect water and I suspect serious road damage will result. Joey Tinkham (55), Good condition as of Fall 2023. May have logging traffic from Hansen Creek in 2024. Garcia (9020) ? Middle Fork Snoqualmie Road (FS 56) Mailbox TH, Taylor River TH, Dingford Creek TH, Goldmyer Hot Springs 05/15/23. Paved section open. Gravel section to Dingford trailhead is very rough.The Goldmyer Access Report usually has updated road conditions. [b]North Fork Snoqualmie Road (FS 57) Bare, Dog, Goat, Phelps, ... 10/01/2014 A $75 permit is required to access Hancock Timber lands along the North Fork road. The road is public and you can drive through Hancock lands to reach FS areas for free, but you can't park and climb Fuller or visit other attractions on their land without the permit. Rocky Run (FS 4832) The spur (136 per Google Maps) to the backdoor TH is extra brushy but save for a nasty water channel right at the beginning and some moderate rutting about halfway in is still more or less drivable. Extra clearance would be good, don't take a car you don't want to add pinstripes to. Teanaway North Fork Teanaway road (9737) Teanaway Middle Fork (NFD 113) Jack Creek Road (9738) Stafford Creek Road 9703 Beverly turnpike road (1391) (7.28.2021, Joey) Two bad spots washing out. We were very careful and did OK in a Subaru Forester. Low clearance might not make it. Jungle Creek (FS 9701) Teanaway Butte, Way Creek trail, Jungle Creek trail "Road Closed" sign at the beginning of the road. Cle Elum Trails - road closures - [*][b]Taneum - Manastash Area
  • FSR 3350 - South Cle Elum Ridge Road
  • FSR 33 - Taneum Road
  • FSR 3100 - Manastash Road
  • FSR 3120 near 3100 Junction. [/b]
  • FSR 3100 near Buck Meadows.
  • FSR 4517-117 - Granite Creek Road.
[*]Cle Elum Valley - FSR 4308 - French Cabin at 120 Junction. [*]Cle Elum Valley Road NF-4330 [*]Swauk and Liberty FSR 9707 - Pole Patch Road - two areas - First near spur 115, the second is near 4WD319. [*]Red Top Road [/list] [b]Teanaway Ridge/Jack Creek (FS 9738) ? Mountain Loop Mountain Loop Highway, Likely to melt out by late May 2023 Green Mtn Road (FS 41) - Tupso Pass, Three Fingers, Closed @ mile 8.6 due to damage to South Fork Canyon Creek bridge. No time line for repairs. Approx 10 miles to trail head @ Tupso Pass FS 4110, Green Mtn., Pot holed..more like craters. 6/4/14 FS 4111, Canyon Lake, Closed at mile 0 due to wash out. 6/4/14 FS 42, Mt Pilchuck, reconstructed 2023 North Fork Sauk Road (FS 49), 4096 Bedal Creek High clearance recommended, brushed out. Call the Darrington Ranger District at 360-436-1155 for current information Segelsen Road (FS 18), Call the Darrington Ranger District at 360-436-1155 for current information. www.fs.usda.gov/mbs Pugh (2095), Closed (seasonal) Straight Creek Road (FS 27), Multiple washouts Suiattle River Road (FS 26), Tenas Creek Road (FS 2660), Severe fire damage after bridge, expect fallen trees Whitechuck River Road (FS 23), Washed out at mile 4, possible to bike past. C-Post Mt Higgens access. Must park near 530 and hike in. Highway 2 & Leavenworth FSR #62 and roads to Persis trailhead - Gate often CLOSED. If locked in call sheriff. Sultan Basin Road, ? Beckler River Road (FS 65), ? Chiwawa River Road (FS 6200) Phelps Creek TH, Spider Gap, Buck Creek Pass, Gate at end of paved road may be closed Icicle Creek Road (FS 7600) - Chatter Creek, 4th of July Creek, Icicle Creek, Snow Lakes In Winter, usually closed to wheeled vehicles past the 8 Mile Road junction. Eight Mile Road (FS 7601) - Enchantments, Colchuck Lake Usually closed in winter to wheeled vehicles. NFD 6024 - Baring Mountain Barclay Lake Road is closed indefinitely due to 2022 Bolt Creek Fire Ranger Road (FS 7701) 6/6/20 - gate closed at bottom North Cascades and Baker, Mt Baker Ranger District Church Mountain (FR 3040), Welcome Pass (FR 3060), rough Canyon Creek (FR 31), good condition, may have logging traffic or construction over the next several years Nooksack Road (FR 34), Deadhorse Road (FR 37), Washed out at around mile 3, Middle Fork Nooksack (FR 38), long with a good number of potholes Glacier Creek (FR 39), Washed out repaired October 2023 Thompson Creek (FR 3910) North Cascades Highway (SR 20), Cascade River Road (FR 15), Open to Park Boundary Sibley Creek, Hidden Lake (FR 1540), Road is rough but popular. Very bad section at last switchback barely passable to a Subaru. Illabot Creek Road (FR 16), very brushy and narrow. Not recommended during rain events due to the landslide risk. Mt. St. Helens Due to a fire there is no longer a shelter at Marble Mountain Sno-Park. Forest Road 10 2012. Closed. Mitchell Peak north access - from DNR: "While the forestland is managed by DNR, the only access road to the trailhead—10 Road—cuts across private landownership, and the new landowner has gated and closed access to the road just east of the intersection with the S-1000 Road. DNR does not have a recreation easement for recreation access across this road. DNR land managers are working on a solution.In the meantime, the only access to Mitchell Peak trail is from the North Siouxon Creek Trailhead, in the southern part of the Siouxon Block. The distance from this trailhead to the top of Mitchell Peak is about 13 miles." Olympic Peninsula Olympic National Park - see current road conditions. Mount Baldy, Maynard Burn, Tyler Peak - FS 2870/120, ? Mount Ellinor, FR 24 and 2419 Mount Jupiter Road The trail and access to the trailhead are closed through fall of 2023. Yakima County/ Naches Ranger District S. Fork Tieton Road 1000 wildcat 1306 road McDaniel Lake/Buck Lake Road No. 1502 1504 road Rattlesnake Mount Hood National Forest

Wiki summmary last edited by nilloc29 on Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:48 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Nov 13, 2011 5:28 pm 
doh.gif Doh! I'm such an idjit! I thought it was kind've an odd question.... Haven't heard. The MBS website doesn't say it's closed for cleanup.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
stetattleboy

stetattleboy
PostMon Nov 14, 2011 9:01 pm 
yep that's what i meant magellan. Thanks for the info Kim!

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Nov 14, 2011 9:13 pm 
The north side of Mt. Hood re-opened Oct. 15, but I can't figure out how to edit the wiki. Never mind, the edit button showed up on the wiki after I posted here. There are some trip reports from late October on portlandhikers.org. It appears that most of the Timberline Trail was spared.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
veronika

veronika
PostTue Nov 15, 2011 4:18 pm 
Hwy 20 to close at 8pm tonight.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
hermes

hermes
PostWed Nov 30, 2011 7:13 pm 
Snohomish county says MLH closed at Deer Creek. Anybody know if that is current info?...tia.

Arthur

Arthur
PostFri Dec 02, 2011 6:12 pm 
Mt Pilchuck Road 42 NEW gate (at MP 5+/-) will be locked at 8 am 12/3/11 according to a conversation I had with the deputy. If you find it open, in the meantime I suggest not parking on the uphill side to avoid being locked in. Arthur

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Dec 14, 2011 8:34 pm 
Duckabush trail is still closed due to the fire that went out months ago.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jan 06, 2012 12:54 pm 
If you're heading to the North Cascades through Darrington there's going to be a lane closure on SR 530 next week: From the DOT:
Quote:
It’s been a while since we’ve mentioned any work on SR 530 near Oso (east of Arlington), but it’s a new year…and that means new work. Crews working on a slope stabilization project need to close a lane to finish erosion control and drainage work. So if you drive through the area, be prepared for an eastbound lane closure from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily Wednesday, Jan. 11, through Friday, Jan. 13. Flaggers will direct traffic, but you’ll want to prepare for some delays.

Arthur

Arthur
PostFri Jan 06, 2012 3:04 pm 
The Mt Pilchuck Road is now closed at Heather Lake Trailhead.
Quote:
The new gate that the Forest Service had placed at mile post 5 on the Pilchuck Road was vandalized . . . . a day or two before New Years Eve . . . . as a result of that, (the Forest Service). . . . closed both of the gates . . . .
The damage to the upper gate will likely cause a delay opening the lower gate next Spring because now it will require heavy equipment rather than just a key ( costs more too). See the Original Posting It's frustrating when the actions of a few penalize the rest of us.

Sennin

Sennin
PostFri Jan 20, 2012 10:47 am 
MORA's twitter feed has been great for the latest road updates. http://twitter.com/MountRainierNPS

veronika

veronika
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 8:46 pm 
From what I could find on the internet, it looks like the roads are open all the way to Phelps Creek. Anyone been up there lately? I gotta get back to my favorite dang area and get some stuff done once and for all!

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
codgerhiker

codgerhiker
PostSat Mar 03, 2012 8:21 am 
Friday 3-2-12 the Mt Pilchuck rd was near impassible starting where plowing ended about 1/2 a mile before the Heather Lake gate. 14" deep heavy rutted snow. Got up marginally w my Honda Element, hi-centered @ the TH, dug out B4 my hike (8 hrs of trail breaking in 14" to 24" snow). Figured w rain all day at that elevation (1400) conditions would be better for getting out.. Wrong! ruts had iced over, almost didn't make it back to the plowed section. It may be better after todays rain & tomorrows warming trend (or if they plow up to the TH).

Bugs Bunny is who we want to be, Daffy Duck is who we are - Chuck Jones
MtnBadger

MtnBadger
PostThu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 am 
Pilchuck Rd to Heather Lake TH plowed out on 03/04/12... Snohomish Co Roads now has a contract in place with the USFS for the weekly grading out of snow up to and in the Heather Lake Trailhead. It is easy going to the trailhead right now and until we get more snow that's expected on 03/08 or 03/09.

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostWed Mar 14, 2012 10:49 pm 
From: WSDOT <wsdot@service.govdelivery.com> To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:16 PM Subject: Whatcom County Newsletter - March 14 March 14, 2012 Threat of falling trees closes Mount Baker Highway overnight In case you haven’t heard yet, we closed Mount Baker Highway this morning east of Glacier because all the snow we’re getting is causing trees to fall across the road. No joke – trees are buckling under the weight of the deep, heavy snow. We had 17 inches new snow and eight trees fell overnight. We got another 6 inches of snow today and four more trees fell. Some of the trees were nearly 2 feet in diameter – a tree that size would definitely leave a mark. We're going to leave the road closed overnight. It’s just too risky to reopen the road today with the threat of more trees falling. Last I heard, it was still snowing up there. We’ll be back out there first thing Thursday morning checking the tree and snow conditions to see if we can reopen the road. Hopefully, the snow level will rise overnight and the snow load will fall off the trees. I’ve heard from our crews working the highway up there that some crazy amount - like 98 inches - of snow has fallen in the last several days. It’s just been storm after storm after storm. I’m still waiting for crews to come down off the mountain so I can get some pictures to share. Hopefully, I’ll have some uploaded to Pinterest and Flickr tomorrow. (Yes, we’re now on Pinterest, too, if you’d like to check out some of our pictures.)

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Mar 15, 2012 11:10 am 
Hwy 542 is currently open. The ski area, however is not. Slopes are too unstable. They hope to reopen tomorrow, when the freezing level drops back down. They have received 110 inches of snow in the last week, it's crazy.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic