Forum Index > Food & Grub > deep fried food
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rasbo

rasbo
PostSat Jan 14, 2012 5:38 am 
who likes deep fry??Any tried and tested recipes?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSun Jan 15, 2012 7:40 am 
Yes I love when it is done well. When I hike hard, I start craving Fried chicken or BBQ nope not from the south, but the hankering is deep I dont deep fry at home, it is just me and the process really requires good deep fryer pan and oil. I simply cannot produce that oil waste just for me. I like to do modified with fish. Thick cut cod filet . 1 part cornstarch and 2 parts flour. I usually put in a spice mix as suits my mood . I picked up several different Indian spice mixes at Penzys ( near Pike Place) and am enjoying that. dry filet coat with flour, egg wash, coat and set to dry while oil heats then panfry in about 1/2 inch oil in small pan ( half way up filet) Not exactly deep fry but not really conventional fry either. If an occasional treat

rasbo

rasbo
PostSun Jan 15, 2012 10:10 am 
that sounds good.I dont deep fry often but when the craving hits me Im all over it..I do strain my oils and reuse it...I made fried chicken..I brine the chicken pieces for 1 hr... Brine...2qts water....1/2 cup kosher salt..1/2 cup brown sugar...1/2 cup hot sauce..blend or mix until salt and sugar disolve.Put pieces in and let sit one hr.. drain let drip for a while Then I put 1 cup flour in a ziplock bag,1 tsp pepper,1 tsp cayanne pepper,1/2 tsp old bay and a few shakes of garlic powder.. shake chicken in the bag and let it sit on a plate for 15 minutes.Then coat it again..It makes a light crust. Heat oil in my dutch oven to 350{peanut oil}.cook for 20 minutes dont let oil get below 325. let it drain on a cookie rack...nice hard thin crust and super moist meat...

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Jan 16, 2012 8:43 am 
I watch "Diners, Drive-in and Dives" on FOOD and he did Chicken Dinner places program SOme places brine 24 hours! I have never brined to make fried chicken, always do for my roasting. But the logic is certainly sound. I have also seen soaking in Buttermilk overnight. I have so got to stop watching that show and stop listening to Road Food. Makes me want to leave my job and eat my way around country.

rasbo

rasbo
PostMon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 am 
meandering wa...SOme places brine 24 hours! I have never brined to make fried chicken, always do for my roasting. But the logic is certainly sound. I have also seen soaking in Buttermilk overnight. for whole chicken it works great,for chicken pieces no more than an hr...trust me,lol...I do a wild turkey in this brine omit the hot sauce,and smoke it,wow is it awesome....all my fish the same,except after I rinse the fish and dry it I put pepper on it then smoke it...

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon Jan 30, 2012 2:58 am 
when i fry at home, i prefer shallow frying with less than 1/2" peanut oil in a cast iron skillet with a heavy lid. won't work for thick food items coated with a batter, but works great for anything that is breaded. the food absorbs far less oil than when it is totally submerged, and you use less oil. the best way to cook fried chicken short of having access to a pressure fryer......

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostTue Jan 31, 2012 7:47 am 
yes I dont batter coat either for the same reason but boy is a good one a treat also int the Triple D show, a place in the Carolinas that deep fries its chicken then sends it for a swim in a vat of BBQ sauce holy schmoopy that looked good