Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pt. Defiance - 01-18-12 - 10-20-19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 18, 2012 10:01 pm 
I live very close to Pt. Defiance Park in Tacoma, the largest metropolitan park on Puget Sound. Map of Pt. Defiance Park showing trail system History of Pt. Defiance Park A simple search for "Pt. Defiance" here will give you no less than seven pages of posts, with trip reports from many members here, including some spectacular photography from the Zachster, Jim Dockery, Elvis, Joseph in Tacoma, Hikingqueen, and SoloSteve, among others. I encourage you to revisit their posts if you'd like to see some National Geographic-quality images from the zoo and aquarium. While my own photos pale in comparison, we all choose different subject matter, so I thought I should create my own little "Pt. Defiance" thread here and share what I see during my visits. I don't visit the zoo or the aquarium, and except for today I don't use the trails much- I usually drive out to the far end and just head into the brush. A couple notes: The original location of Fort Nisqually was at the mouth of Sequalitchew Creek, down near DuPont. and for Sluggo (and others): There is a huge off-leash dog area near Fort Nisqually. in chronological order:
1938 WPA picnic shelter at Gig Harbor viewpoint
Fort Nisqually
and B is for huh?
it was a busy day today
and after three hours of tramping around in the snow, I came home with dry feet (and the last time I dressed those boots was two summers ago.) smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hams nut
ALL SMILES HERE

hams nut
ALL SMILES HERE
PostTue Jan 24, 2012 8:37 pm 
biggrin.gif I grew up fishing the clay banks below it and love the whole place . I think its cool that you did a post of it , thanks for the memories agree.gif

"People shooting ski areas should be sued" Author Mr.Bruce Bennedict
hams nut
ALL SMILES HERE

hams nut
ALL SMILES HERE
PostTue Jan 24, 2012 8:41 pm 
b is for parakeet or budgie as they wrote it fencing.gif

"People shooting ski areas should be sued" Author Mr.Bruce Bennedict
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 8:27 pm 
Pt. Defiance 080919 01
Pt. Defiance 080919 01
Pt. Defiance 081119 01
Pt. Defiance 081119 01
Pt. Defiance 081119 02
Pt. Defiance 081119 02
Pt. Defiance 081119 03
Pt. Defiance 081119 03

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Oct 20, 2019 10:40 pm 
Pt. Defiance 100619 02
Pt. Defiance 100619 02
Pt. Defiance 100619 03
Pt. Defiance 100619 03
Pt. Defiance 100619 06 2
Pt. Defiance 100619 06 2
Pt. Defiance 100619 04
Pt. Defiance 100619 04
Pt. Defiance 102019 04
Pt. Defiance 102019 04
Pt. Defiance 102019 01
Pt. Defiance 102019 01
Pt. Defiance 102019 02
Pt. Defiance 102019 02
Pt. Defiance 102019 03
Pt. Defiance 102019 03
can somebody positively identify the animal in the last photo?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 20, 2019 11:39 pm 
Ski wrote:
Pt. Defiance 102019 02
Pt. Defiance 102019 02
I seem to recall driving thru the park several years ago seeing a raccoon RIGHT by a sign that said don't feed wildlife. It was shamelessly begging as cars drove past. I'm sure it got plenty of handouts.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 1:41 am 
Ski - I'm no bird expert, and it's hard to see the details clearly, but I'd guess it may be a spotted owl - first thing I thought of when I saw that pic. up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 7:10 am 
The bird is either a barred owl or a spotted owl, they are impossible to tell apart in an image like this. One difference is that barred owls are skittish while spotted owls are unwary, so if it sits there and lets you take its picture, it is most likely a spotted.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 8:55 am 
Hesman wrote:
I thought it was the opposite.
This reference: https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Strix_occidentalis/ has this to say about the spotted owl: "This species is generally perceived as having a 'tame, unsuspicious, cursory, or stupid' disposition; they have a reputation for being unwary around humans." Any chance the ones in your yard are actually spotted or were you able to tell from the plumage?

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 12:22 pm 
OlderThanIUsedToBe, commenting about raccoons at Pt. Defiance wrote:
"...shamelessly begging as cars drove past..."
That one in the photo was but one of a gang of eight hanging out near the culvert just past the Dalco Passage Viewpoint on Five-Mile Drive. When I got out to take the photo, one of the smaller ones ran up and was licking my boot - perhaps thinking it was something edible. The owl didn't seem to be the least bit bothered when we walked right up under him to get the photos. After several minutes of turning his head this way and that he took off. The plumage patterns (for the barred owl) in the photos in the Audubon guide here look nothing like what he looked like, which is why I was a bit puzzled. So... one or the other, but from Sculpin's description of behavior patterns, it sounds more likely to be spotted, if I'm understanding correctly.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 1:21 pm 
Ski wrote:
That one in the photo was but one of a gang of eight hanging out near the culvert just past the Dalco Passage Viewpoint on Five-Mile Drive. When I got out to take the photo, one of the smaller ones ran up and was licking my boot - perhaps thinking it was something edible.
hockeygrin.gif Bootlicker is a really old school insult isn't it? Haven't heard that one in years. I had a marmot take a test bite of the toe of my boot one time...while I was still wearing it. Maybe there was a bit of salty residue on your boot.