Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Walker walk up 2/5/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 pm 
After a lazy day on Saturday, and a really nice evening spent at Highwalkers Daughter's place on the peninsula (great time visiting with some of the Oly nwhikers and lurkers! wave.gif hockeygrin.gif ) we desperately needed some exercise! The original plan was to hike one of the river trails, then hit Mt. Walker as we headed back toward the ferry. Unfortunately, we found the road to Gray Wolf trail very icy and opted not to continue for 6 more miles to the TH. So off we went to Mt.Walker. The Mt. Walker trail is located just a few miles (south) past Quilcene. The sign at the road says "Mt. Walker viewpoint 4 miles". There was room for about 10 cars (more were parked on the highway) in front of a closed gate. Apparently in season, you can drive all the way to the top.
You need to walk the road for about 1/4 mile in order to get to the actual trailhead.
At this point you have the choice of walking the road to the top ( 4 miles, road walk... down.gif down.gif hockeygrin.gif ) which alot of families were apparently doing. Or you can do the actual hike...2 miles, 2000 ft gain...worth every drop of sweat! up.gif up.gif agree.gif Alot of folks call this the Tiger Mountain of the Olympics, but I have to say it is a much more delightful trail in terms of beautiful forest, tons of rhodies (can't wait to see it when they're blooming! eek.gif ), excellent tread, and unbelievable views.
After several stops to lose layers and take a few pics, we cruised on up in a little over an hour. Near the top there was a little bit of snow left, just enough for Cedar to enjoy.
We arrived at the North summit where Cedar decided to check out the views...
From that overlook you can find a trail that connects to the road that takes you to the South summit. It's about another 1/2 mile. I was surprised to find the final piece of trail that takes you to the overlook is signed as wheelchair accessible...
And, although there was some debris on the trail, it was a really nicely graded, gravel path. A tumble off the side of the trail would be a very bad thing, but I have to say that if I ever have to be in a wheel chair, I hope someone will take me there. I haven't seen alot of accessible trails to such beautiful places.
And did I mention there were views?! We could see to Seattle, Rainier, Adams, St. Helens and beyond. And this was a hazy day...it would be even more fantastic on a clear day!
With temps in th 50's, this was a hard place to leave. But we had a ferry to catch, so down we went. Only 50 knee banging minutes back to the car. We managed to catch the 5:30 ferry which provided a beautiful sunset and light show. A nice ending to a great weekend on the peninsula!
Note to self: must go back soon. agree.gif cool.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 9:48 pm 
Very nice! up.gif Love the Seattle view shot.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
half fast

half fast
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 pm 
the Zachster wrote:
...Unfortunately, we found the road to Gray Wolf trail very icy...
Well, it looks like you will just have to come back out here to our side of the pond... winksmile.gif I am glad you guys found a great hike with awesome views... Nice photos... up.gif up.gif Thanks for sharing... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostTue Feb 07, 2012 9:27 am 
the Zachster wrote:
such a handsome boy!!! Sounds like a nice "spring" weekend!

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 am 
Thanks for sharing this winter gem. up.gif Maybe I can get the family up there soon.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostWed Feb 08, 2012 8:56 am 
Nice! Thanks for the reminder about all Walker has to offer - haven't been up there in years...

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Feb 08, 2012 4:22 pm 
now that's a zoom lens...... love the seattle photos ...well all your photos up.gif that trail UP is a calf killer........okay, the down is a quad killer! great meeting you and hubby, and of course, Cedar! come back again!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Feb 08, 2012 4:53 pm 
Already making plans! winksmile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Feb 08, 2012 10:55 pm 
the Zachster wrote:
I was surprised to find the final piece of trail that takes you to the overlook is signed as wheelchair accessible...
I guess that would make more sense when you could actually drive up.

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Feb 14, 2012 2:29 pm 
Looking forward to doing this one this Friday. Nice to see the photos so we know what to expect.