Forum Index > Trip Reports > Umtanum Creek 2/3 to 2/5 2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Feb 05, 2012 8:34 pm 
I attended the annual winter hang at Umtantum creek over the weekend. As always a fun event. I arrived Friday afternoon with enough time to scout out some nice trees, and prep for the camp fire for the night. The sky was clear, the moon was out and so were the stars. Oh yes it was COLD!
Next morning was clear and cold. Snug an warm floating in a cloud of goose down there was not much incentive to get up. Finally the beckoning call of my stomach drove me out the warmth of my nest. Had to warm the can of fuel by the camp fire to get the stove to light. eek.gif Did i mention it was cold Went, for a stroll up the canyon after breakfast at the crack of 11.
Saturday night spent saying warm by the fire. A flask of whiskey got passed around...errr it was claimed to be whiskey...i think it was E85 souse.gif Awoke Sunday morning with my ski mask frozen to my beard. Did i mention it was COLD?

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mugs

Mugs
PostThu Feb 09, 2012 9:47 pm 
Ah come on man it wasn't that cold. We had a killer fire going the whole time. At night we were in tons of down...or at least I was. And Saturday night I don't think you would have cared what the temps were dizzy.gif It was a fun time had by all.

I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.
kite

kite
PostThu Feb 09, 2012 10:25 pm 
That looked like a nice place for trip, how far up the canyon did you go?

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 12:09 am 
Great pictures HS! Just curious if you needed any extra padding or liners in your hammock with the cold weather? Was the sleeping bag enough?

Mugs

Mugs
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 12:25 am 
"We" use what is called a UQ (under quilt) and they go on the outside under the hammock underneath us. they differ in temp range and loft. I think we both had 20f UQ's For the top cover we use TQ (top quilts) which is like a sleeping bag without the bottom. I had a 0F TQ...so I think in total I had about 9 or so inches of loft around me.

I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 12:57 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
up.gif up.gif up.gif

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 1:30 am 
So i decided to try something a bit different. I dug my Hennessy out of the closet. Used the stock open cell foam pad and under cover from the super shelter, plus my 20* underquilt. The undercover was just loose enough to not compress the down of the under quilt. The cover also helped reduce and drafts induced my squirming around. My Hennessy has a zipper mod in the bug net so i don't have to worry about getting out the bottom. That was the bottom insulation. On top, i used my 20* Feathered Friends puffin, plus a 20* Katabatic Gear down quilt. Needless to say i had no problem staying warm in the hammock. biggrin.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 9:48 am 
That is such a beautiful place to visit. Your winter photos are striking! up.gif

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Toni

Toni
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 10:34 am 
Looks like you had a fun time. Love that area and can't wait to stomp around there in the spring, when it's not so COLD.... Great pics, the 2nd one reminds me a bit of a Bev Doolittle painting. No tic sightings, right? some seasons they're out early.... eek.gif

There is no Planet B
BigBear

BigBear
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 10:56 am 
I thought fires were not allowed, but what do I know I only hike there once a week.

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 11:45 am 
Fine exposure and super detail! No tripod shake either. Splendid! It makes me feel like I'm in Apollo on approach cool.gif

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 11:57 am 
BigBear wrote:
I thought fires were not allowed, but what do I know I only hike there once a week.
I can find nothing forbidding fires on the BLM site. If fires are not allowed, then that sign that's posted at the trail head that says "don't burn when windy" should be clarified to "fires not allowed" or "fires prohibited" But what do i know i only go here once a year. wink.gif

BigBear

BigBear
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 12:53 pm 
Sorry I guess your right. It is no fires from April 15-October 15. I was a little confused because the sign just says "no fires" and a couple months ago i was out there somebody in uniform(don't know if it was FS or what) was taking apart campfire rings.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostTue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 am 
Love this area, great pics as always! up.gif

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Feb 14, 2012 6:38 pm 
D. Inscho wrote:
Fine exposure and super detail! No tripod shake either. Splendid! It makes me feel like I'm in Apollo on approach cool.gif
Aye, great shot. What equipment were you using? --Gray