Forum Index > Trip Reports > Doogie Downers Do (Mt.) Catherine 02-11-12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 8:11 pm 
Well, figuring that driving a couple hundred miles just to see the inside of a cloud didn't make good sense shakehead.gif dizzy.gif rolleyes.gif the intrepid team decided a shorter trip to the inside of a cloud made much more sense! agree.gif There were SOME in our group that whined about how awful it was going to be, and lousy weather, waah.gif Waah, Waah, Waah! Buck up! We're doing this, Doogie Downers! tongue.gif So, seven two-legged and three four-legged adventurers decided to follow the blue diamond path that would put us at the base of the "towering" Mt. Catherine.
Not THESE Blue Diamonds
Not THESE Blue Diamonds
THAT Blue Diamond!
THAT Blue Diamond!
So, packed up and ready to go from the parking lot off of the Hyak exit at the perfect hour of about 9:15 a.m. we struck out in search of blue diamonds. We had had rain showers on our way to Snoqualmie Pass, but when we started out, there was some blue sky and it looked like we might even have SUN cool.gif for our trip. (Remind me not to let Elle take her sun glasses when there is a 50-50 chance for the sun to pop out on the summit! embarassedlaugh.gif ) Joining our merry band today (not necessarily in order of appearance): GeoTom and the ever-endearing Jasper; Barb E; SnowDog (Elle) and Izzy; Darryl; Jim K; Middle E; and the Driver + Gus. Off we headed towards the route to Nordic Pass.
Climbing our first obstacle
Climbing our first obstacle
Easiest creek crossing ever!
Easiest creek crossing ever!
It seems that in no time we were at Hyak Lake.
Quick trip to Hyak Lake
Quick trip to Hyak Lake
And before long we were at the power lines.
In the clouds - our destination - Mt. Catherine
In the clouds - our destination - Mt. Catherine
And, viola, at Nordic Pass. Man we are quick! (Actually, the snow was in great shape and it seemed like we were moving fast.)
Snack break at Nordic Pass
Snack break at Nordic Pass
Dog training 101
Dog training 101
After our snack, we began the uphill to Catherine. There actually was a track for us to follow and whomever laid that track sure picked a great route, because we just breezed up what usually feels much more difficult/steep.
Ridge opens up closer to the summit
Ridge opens up closer to the summit
Yes, there was blue sky
Yes, there was blue sky
Gnarly (but cool) tree
Gnarly (but cool) tree
The final push towards the summit went quickly - and the final short trek to the summit was much easier this time than in the multiple trips previously we have done to the summit of Catherine - there was a nice long ramp leading to the summit, rather than the nasty little, steep slot that we usually clambered up!
Nice ramp up to the summit
Nice ramp up to the summit
Darryl arrives on the summit
Darryl arrives on the summit
We took our lunch break on top (arriving before Noon!). And then getting our obligatory group shot.
Team Catherine on the summit (in the clouds) - Jasper enjoying every moment
Team Catherine on the summit (in the clouds) - Jasper enjoying every moment
No wind on top, but no views either! The inside of this cloud looked pretty much like most of the ones I've seen previously! We oohhed and ahh'ed at all the magnificent views and then decided it was time to head out.
Packin' up and heading off the summit
Packin' up and heading off the summit
As we left the summit, it started snowing! confused.gif eek.gif
Heading off the summit in the snow
Heading off the summit in the snow
Oh well. Great day out. Quick trip back to the cars. Got back before 3:00 p.m. and a dead battery in Elle's car! Then, when we jumped started her car, the alarm started up and wouldn't shut off! rant.gif Never a dull moment with this crew. Then, when we were driving down off the Pass, we passed a car that had license plates "Snowdog." Someone has stolen Elle's identify! lol.gif Stats: About 10 miles round trip. A bunch of elevation gain both going up to the summit and coming back out (when did they put those uphills in? That's against the rules to have uphill on the way out!) We used our snowshoes but nothing else (except poles). Snow was in great shape. There's a nice track, so get out there soon! What a fun little romp. Good group (even the grumpy dog!) up.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 8:29 pm 
Does this route go up the summer road that you can drive up in summer or take another way? Do you need a sno park pass to park for it?

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 8:38 pm 
Jasper must have expended a lot of energy 'talking' to Gus. He's passed out on the floor, and you know what they say about sleeping dogs. A few photos:
A little sun as we arrive at Hyak Lake
A little sun as we arrive at Hyak Lake
Good dog with a questionable one lurking in the background
Good dog with a questionable one lurking in the background
Views?
Views?
On the summit
On the summit
I want your sandwich!
I want your sandwich!
Action Barb
Action Barb
The same and a few more on flickr

Knows literally nothing
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 8:40 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Does this route go up the summer road that you can drive up in summer or take another way? Do you need a sno park pass to park for it?
TM: Nope, you start at the parking lot right off of the exit, then you walk up that first residential road (and take the upper road to access the Blue Diamond route). There are plenty of blue diamonds, so it should be pretty easy to follow. It's a 10-mile round trip and you only cross over the road (a couple of times).

JimK

JimK
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 8:41 pm 
The Nordic Pass Trail leaves from near the Hyak (Summit East) parking lot not up the Cold Creek Road. Here is an old report with more information. Nordic Pass Trail

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 9:35 pm 
At least you got some cloud cover today, the kids and I had way too much blue sky on Hex Mtn! biggrin.gif Glad you guys had a good trip

Eric Eames
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 9:40 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
At least you got some cloud cover today, the kids and I had way too much blue sky on Hex Mtn! biggrin.gif Glad you guys had a good trip
moon.gif moon.gif rant.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif That was just plain mean! bawl.gif

BarbE

BarbE
PostSun Feb 12, 2012 10:55 am 
We were ready for rain and snow. The short period of sun was a bonus for a fun day. Nice workout and great company! up.gif
Winter wonderland
Winter wonderland
hoping for summit views
hoping for summit views
gnarly
gnarly
Katherine Feb 12
Katherine Feb 12
summit views!
summit views!
Barry doing the snow tango

Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSun Feb 12, 2012 4:07 pm 
BarbE wrote:
Barb graciously omitted the fact that I was in the process of recovering from a full-on face plant! This was my fifth year in a row for Mt. Catherine in Jan/Feb, and more or less the easiest time ever - easy creek crossing, easy route finding, easy access to the summit!

pithy yet insightful signature
woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostSun Feb 12, 2012 4:50 pm 
Thanks for making such a nice trail. Since I couldn't join the party yesterday, Zoey and I hiked up today. And although there's such a nice trail, I managed to get temporarily lost. The trail splits on Hyak lake, and I didn't look for the blue diamonds. So I ended up at 'Grand Junction' and had to make some trail myself in what I thought was the right direction. A little too far west, and I had to wander around a bit before I finally found the diamonds again. Not being able to see the destination sure makes route-finding hard. On the way down a employee of the Summit who was patrolling the X-country trails told me that even in the back-country dogs are not allowed when the X-country trails are open. And if I could make sure to stay off the parallel and skate tracks on the groomed trails (which I did, since I was walking almost beside the groomed trail). She then left and did skate-braking all the way down a trail, messing up the skate part of the trail. Fun day, but hardly any views.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Feb 12, 2012 6:07 pm 
My car seemed to have lost it's mind yesterday. huh.gif I have no clue what ran the battery down in 6 hours, and when we jumped it, the alarm just wouldn't quit. So annoying! The honking, the lights, the siren, the full meal deal!!! It seemed to go on forever, then finally stop, only to be set off once more when someone sneezed, or opened a door, or rolled down a window...... waah.gif When I got home, it went off when I opened my door, then after about 5 minutes shut off, then when I was up showering, it went off AGAIN without provocation. I called the dealership & they walked me thru how to 'reboot' the alarm. It wasn't in the owner's manual..........hmmmmm.......

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Feb 12, 2012 6:32 pm 
We opted to not go to the pass since we don't have a Sno-Park. Totally forgot about Catherine! Looks like it was a great day! PS Elle: I just put some ear plugs in my 1st aid kit... hockeygrin.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
JimK

JimK
PostTue Feb 14, 2012 3:36 pm 
A longer trip report with 20 photos can be found at: Mt. Catherine Report & Photos Here are a few of my favorites: