Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Si Plane crash
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
El Puma

El Puma
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 6:52 am 
NORTH BEND, Wash. -- The King County Sheriff's Office have found a plane crash site on Little Si. Search and rescue efforts are now underway there. "There will be quite a large scale response of people heading up to the scene to either retract people that have been killed or hopefully find survivors," said Sgt. Cindi West, spokesperson for the Sheriff's Office. A deputy on the scene told KING 5's Natalie Swaby, there doesn't appear to be any survivors at this point. Several neighbors heard a plane engine and then a crash sometime before 2:30 a.m. The Federal Aviation Administration has been notified, but a spokesperson said she does not have any information about the plane yet. (King5)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 am 
Very sad news. frown.gif I was just about out the door, on my way to Mt Si when I saw the story on the news. I understand the road is closed until further notice in case anyone else is headed out that way today.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 9:01 am 
Quote:
NORTH BEND -- A small plane crashed early Wednesday near North Bend, and officials said it is unlikely anyone survived. Sheriff's Sgt. Cindi West said the plane crashed just after 2 a.m. Wednesday on the Little Si section of Mount Si. The plane hit a shear face on the lower peak at about the 2,000 foot level. Officials said several people in the area called 911 after hearing a sputtering engine from a low flying plane. The callers told dispatchers the plane's engine cut out before the crash. The Federal Aviation Administration picked up a signal from the plane's emergency transponder, and a King County sheriff's helicopter flew over the area to locate the wreckage. Officials said the helicopter pilot who saw the crashed plane said the damage was so severe that it is unlikely there are any survivors. Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/article/Rescuers-don-t-expect-survivors-in-Mount-Si-plane-3332796.php#ixzz1mT0UY9aG

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 9:19 am 
I heard the helo go by low and loud early this morning. We're off to a dark start in the mountains this year.

If not now, when?
tlake

tlake
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 12:00 pm 
In about a month or so we will know the official cause of the accident at this web site: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/month.aspx

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 1:15 pm 
From the DNR: UPDATE: Both Little Si and Mount Si Trailheads and trails are closed due to an investigation of this mornings airplane crash.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 4:56 pm 
Yea I was originally gonna head out that way this morning for K Falls, but heard on the news about it so decided to change plans figuring at best it would be a mess and the road likely closed.

Anne37

Anne37
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 7:51 pm 
Yup, can confirm the THs are closed. I drove up from Portland to check out Mount Si for the first time and got turned around at the trailhead. The flagger recommended Rattlesnake Ridge instead. I did that and it was easy but pretty. Very sad about the crash. frown.gif

Hutch

Hutch
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 pm 
Anne37 wrote:
Yup, can confirm the THs are closed. I drove up from Portland to check out Mount Si for the first time and got turned around at the trailhead. The flagger recommended Rattlesnake Ridge instead. I did that and it was easy but pretty. Very sad about the crash. frown.gif
You drove all the way from Portland to hike Mount Si?

Anne37

Anne37
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 8:38 pm 
Just wanted to see what the fuss was about. rolleyes.gif

Eek
still kind of a dork

Eek
still kind of a dork
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
I heard the helo go by low and loud early this morning.
My wife and I heard it too. Woke us up out of a sound sleep and scared the bejeezus out of both us. It was so loud it rattle the windows. (we live at 1000' on the north side of Squak Mt.) After the initial shock of the abrupt wake-up, I commented to wife that it was probably a rescue operation. I was thinking something along the lines of a lost hiker, but holy cow! a plane crash! Sounds like the passengers never had a chance. Tragic.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Feb 15, 2012 9:29 pm 
Eek wrote:
My wife and I heard it too. Woke us up out of a sound sleep and scared the bejeezus out of both us. It was so loud it rattle the windows. (we live at 1000' on the north side of Squak Mt.)
We're just down the hill from you in Morgan's Ridge at the back of The Woods. We lived on Mt. Olympus in front of the upper cemetary for 17 years before that. You must be up in the Loop, eh?

If not now, when?
Eek
still kind of a dork

Eek
still kind of a dork
PostThu Feb 16, 2012 11:28 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
You must be up in the Loop, eh?
I do indeed. Moved here in 2008 and we love it. 17 miles of trails right in our back yard and not much more then 30 minutes to almost any TH in the I90 corridor.
cascadeclimber wrote:
We're just down the hill from you in Morgan's Ridge at the back of The Woods.
Were practically neighbors!

Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostThu Feb 16, 2012 12:30 pm 
what's weird about this crash is it happened at 2 or 3AM. Do you think they were going on a longer trip? I'm not a pilot but it just struck me as an odd time to be flying. It sounds like the time/darkness may be unrelated but it just struck me when I read that.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Feb 16, 2012 12:55 pm 
We're way off topic here... We made an offer on the house on Timberview that sold mid-2010, but we were just a little late and ended up in second position and didn't get it. Squak is a great place to live.

If not now, when?