Forum Index > Trail Talk > west side snow levels
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 11:30 am 
Is it just me, or is this turning out to be a later snow year than winter of the big snow a few years ago? Seems the cold spring really delayed the melt out. Was just reading on the WTA site that Silver lake up by Poodle dog is *still* iced over, and the Dutch Miller trail dissappears under snow just past Pedro camp. Weekend before last I did a trip up near Silver creek and found a couple feet of snow still on the ground at only 3800'. This is getting old, it's almost august darnit! On the other hand, was up at Stuart lake about a month ago and the snow was long gone. I guess the east side had a lighter snowpack to start with?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 11:44 am 
I was up at Rainier this week and was surprised to still see some snow along the normal tourist routes. The wildflowers are running about a month late, and there's still patches of snow at both Sunrise (6400') and Paradise (5800'). The Mowich Lake Road is still closed at the Paul Peak Trailhead, but is expected to open "soon". All the lakes (Reflection, Louise, etc) are ice free.

PostMon Jul 29, 2002 12:11 pm 
Definately comparable to '99. Venus and Circle Lakes were 95% covered a week ago. I'd never been there before but I'd assume that is late to be that iced over? And it's east of the crest.

Otter

Otter
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 12:31 pm 
and the very worst thing about it is that it will just extend the rotten mozzie's season! ICK!

-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 12:44 pm 

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Jul 30, 2002 11:20 am 
The last three weeks of 80º temps have been the saving grace and the only reason why it's a little better than 99' this year. I've been spending most of my time in the far eastern ALW where the snow line is 7200'+ on south slopes and 6500'+ on *most* dark, north slopes. On friday we were up on the E Ridge of Garfield (4600'-5000') in the MFK area and there was no snow to speak of on south slopes. Some snow still existed on the flatter north slopes and there was probably 12"-18" around the completely frozen "Lake 4662". For comparison, I was up at "Lake 4662" at the same time year in 2000 with a few snow patches still on the ground and the lake was only 80% thawed. At this time last year Circle and Venus were 100% thawed and there wasn't a hint of snow anywhere. I was also in that area the second week in August of 2000 under similar conditions. I've been keeping a careful eye on that area over the past few weeks from summit tops and have noticed that the traverse and surrounding ridges of Circle still have a fair amount of snow, so I'm not surprised to hear about the lakes. On the brighter side, Big Heart, Otter, Azurite are all open and have been for some time. I'm guesing it will be a couple weeks before the more southern Foss Lakes open up like Chetwoot and Crawford.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 10:43 am 
Here's a shot I took July 17 near Prusik Pass in the Enchantments.
Upper lakes were mostly frozen over while the Lower Enchantments were open. Asgaard Pass itself was snowfree.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 7:18 pm 
The very worst seems to be the north side of the Pilchuck-Bald Mountain ridge. WTA reports from last weekend had people hitting solid snow on Walt Baileys Trail in the meadow at the head of Boardman Creek (about 3500'), 700' lower than the level of the Cutthroat Lakes. Official FS trail reports list snow around both Lake 22 and Heather Lake - and those are both below 2500' !

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostMon Aug 05, 2002 8:16 am 
Necklace valley was nearly snow-free (a few tiny patches) to the base of LaBohn Gap at approx. 5000 feet. The LaBohn Gap couloir was snow-covered, but the slopes above were virtually snow-free except for a few snow fingers. I'll be posting a trip report for Mt. Hinman via Necklace Valley in the next few days.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Aug 05, 2002 9:02 am 
Hey MounTAIN Woman, I will be approaching Hinman from Pea Soup Lake and the Dip Top area in a couple of weeks. Any snow beta for that area would be great! Thanks in advance...

headmasterjon

headmasterjon
PostMon Aug 05, 2002 7:17 pm 
Melakwa Lakes
The lakes are almost completely covered as of July 10. There is much snow still up around Melakwa Pass. And a speeding cornice/rockfall nearly took me out on Kaleetan. i'd post a picture of the lake but this page doesn't like the link.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Reuben

Reuben
PostMon Aug 05, 2002 7:29 pm 
North HWY-20 snow
Snow patchy above 6500' Maple Pass open for the Rainy pass loop trail. The flowers are out in full above 5500'

Damian

Damian
PostMon Aug 05, 2002 9:53 pm 
Wow a voice from the distant past. Welcome back Reuben.

ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostSun Aug 11, 2002 10:25 pm 
Snow on Walt Bailey Trail
The snow on the Walt Bailey Trail is avalanche debris.