Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard Wildlife
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ChuckM

ChuckM
PostFri Mar 02, 2012 5:07 pm 
This is my first thread. I did do a search and found one similar but it is 8 years old. This is your chance to share with us the wildlife that lives in your backyard or neighborhood. It can be anything but I think each post should be dedicated to one of your critters at a time. I'll start with my favorite ... the Bobcat. I have already posted some pictures from last year in other threads so just to get started, here are some more.
Maybe I can hide here
Maybe I can hide here
Nope
Nope
Over the years I have accumulated a good number of Bob pictures but they are very rare and special to me. A lot of variables have to come together to get any photos of any backyard wildlife. They need to show up, there needs to be enough daylight to photograph and they need to hang around long enough to get the camera. So many times I have seen them too briefly to photograph or too dark outside. Many pictures show much less than this.
OK I'm outta here ...
OK I'm outta here ...
Other times you can just see them watching your birds and squirrels.
Snoozing
Snoozing
Ready to rumble
Ready to rumble
There has been a full year go by without a chance to take a picture of one yet other times there have been 2 or 3 at once.
2 in this photo
2 in this photo
You never know when Bob may just pop up!
Or ... when you're busy at the BBQ when one will stroll by or even stand by.
Sometimes, if you move really slow and talk quietly in a non-threatening tone you can get pretty close.
Maybe even enough for a portrait.
Recognize this?
Recognize this?
I have plenty more but maybe this is enough for now. Just one last hint ... If you're looking for bobcats don't forget to look up.
I'm done for now ... Let's see some of your backyard wildlife.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Mar 02, 2012 5:26 pm 
wow that is some backyard!!! All I have out my back window is Cats of the construction kind

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 pm 
Squirrels, occasionally a woodpecker, various common lowland birds, and also occasionally a raccoon or possum are all I ever see in my back yard. With the yard being the dog's domain, those animals keep to the trees or don't stay long. I did get this glimpse of a Pileated Woodpecker in my neighbor's dead Elm trees (now reduced to firewood).

half fast

half fast
PostFri Mar 02, 2012 6:10 pm 
Although these are not in my back yard... they are in my front yard. I took this photo off my deck... biggrin.gif
this mornings visitors
this mornings visitors
Lots of eagles out here right before the earth drops off, they land in a tree not 50' from my front windows... but... they rarely let me photo them which made this shot even more special... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
ChuckM

ChuckM
PostSun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 am 
half fast - I am very envious of your front yard. Great shot, thanks! Chainsaw_Willie - Oh yes, the Pileated Woodpecker is a rare treat to my feeder as well. We have some hollow tree somewhere they really like and it sounds like a machine gun going off when they're pecking it.
Female
Female
Male
Male
Just beware! Not all Pileated Woodpeckers like to be photographed ...

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Mar 04, 2012 8:51 am 
I have used a critter food which brings more than just birds around. It's Audubon Park Critter Crunch. I buy it in Tacoma and Boise at WinCo, packaged by Global Harvest Foods, Seattle (Blue bag). If you use this stuff please be prepared for all kinds of suprises - much activity and constant chatter from the Jays. They are thieves, I tell ya. agree.gif
Bird Food With a Punch.
Bird Food With a Punch.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 04, 2012 12:35 pm 
Chuck, Great pictures! I've seen bobcats probably 3 or 4 times in my life, none of them were in my backyard. 1 lynx too. The most interesting non-bird, non-domestic animal visitor to my yard is raccoons. I see them occasionally but they're probably in the neighborhood all the time. Most sightings are around dusk or at night, but now and then I see them during the middle of the day.

ChuckM

ChuckM
PostSun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe - Thank you for the kind words on my pictures. Seems like a lot of our back yard wildlife is nocturnal so they are very hard to see let alone photograph. After a little snowfall, it's interesting to look at all the footprints we get overnight. Raccoons are definitely one of the special critters to photograph ...
Hand caught in the cookie jar

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 04, 2012 10:47 pm 
ChuckM wrote:
Who wouldn't love a face like that? Little masked bandito.

ChuckM

ChuckM
PostMon Mar 05, 2012 8:06 am 
Here is a quick funny bobcat story ... One spring afternoon my wife and I were sitting on our bench in the back yard each enjoying our own favorite libation. Red wine for her and a fine IPA for me. I decided to go up and take a shower. As I was getting ready I noticed she was laying out on the bench just like she does on the couch. After my shower I looked out and there was Bob up on the bench giving it a good sniff over. I headed to the living room to get the camera and there was my wife. I asked her when she came in and she said she had just walked inside. I said, well look at the bench now ...

PostMon Mar 05, 2012 9:28 am 
From the back door.....my favorite is that last one. It almost seems like the bull is trying to NOT draw attention to himself.
may_4_2007_elk_snow (1)
may_4_2007_elk_snow (1)
camas_elk_in_front_cabin2 (1)
camas_elk_in_front_cabin2 (1)
bull_harem_web
bull_harem_web
bull_walking_past_bull_web
bull_walking_past_bull_web

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
ChuckM

ChuckM
PostMon Mar 05, 2012 10:14 pm 
At 6:35am this morning I was standing at our back window and saw a very healthy looking coyote trotting across our backyard and on into the neighbors yard. As usual, this all happens way to fast to grab the camera ... I enjoy nights when the faint train whistle or police siren sounds and then a chorus of close, sometimes really close, pack of coyotes chime in howling and yipping. They are a much more common sight in our back yard but very timid and hard to photograph. They don't have the aloof demeanor that bobcats have sometimes ...

ChuckM

ChuckM
PostTue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 am 
Here is one of my videos of Bob just playing in our backyard ...

Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostTue Mar 06, 2012 1:17 pm 
Great shots of Bob! I've seen bobcat tracks around my house, but not a bobcat itself. It looks like you've got a whole family. I'm assuming you don't have dogs. I have seen a cougar, coyotes, deer, racoons, porcupines, rabbits and marmots around the house. I've had about every kind of bird I can think of from Central WA in the yard or below the house on the Columbia in my "extended yard". Lots of otters, beavers and muskrats down there too. We have had moose around occasionally along the river, but I haven't seen one while looking out a window at home yet. Snakes, lizards and salamanders around the yard as well.

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Mar 06, 2012 10:00 pm 
Chuck you could charge admission to your back yard. It's about as good as any zoo. I like how Bob seems to be observing you and checking out what you're up to as much as vice versa.