Forum Index > Food & Grub > Yummy light hot food
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Vidalia

Vidalia
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 12:36 pm 
sarbar wrote:
The new shrimp in bags is very, very good btw!
Please describe of what you speak. huh.gif

The most difficult thing in life is making a decision to do something..... the rest is only mechanics!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 12:41 pm 
Youse can get clams and shrimpies now if the bags like the tuna. They have it at some Safeway's. The clams are whole, the shrimp is baby shrimp. The stuff is much better looking than canned-adn actually looks real. Dicentra was using the clams in alfredo this past weekend.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
durante

durante
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 1:57 pm 
The best idea for a dinner I've ever seen was when I saw RidgeScrambler bust out a buffalo steak at Packwood Lake (ooh...that rhymes). It ain't light at all but I still want to try it. I usually stick to the easy stuff...i.e. raviolli (not the canned Chef Boyardee crap); lipton noodles and sauce with tuna. I suck ass when it comes to ideas for good meals and I refuse to eat any hippy food i.e., humus, couscous, and dehydrated hooya thingies. I'm a meat and taters kinda guy but that kind of food just doesn't work on the trail.

Vidalia

Vidalia
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 2:23 pm 
durante wrote:
I'm a meat and taters kinda guy but that kind of food just doesn't work on the trail.
Well now durante, I wouldn't say it doesn't work, it's just more challenging! 5 of us hiked 50 miles on the AT through the Smokey Mountain NP in February during a severe winter storm. 18 inches of snow and lows around 0 degrees. We brought in 2 whole pork tenderloins! One we ate the first night after roasting oven an open fire in an AT trail shelter. The other froze solid and we had to take turns carrying it inside our jackets to thaw it out. We finally ate it on the 4th night. Man was that ever good! We brought in a couple of loaves of french bread and made these huge sandwiches of the roasted meat! agree.gif

The most difficult thing in life is making a decision to do something..... the rest is only mechanics!
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 2:28 pm 
Vidalia wrote:
The other froze solid and we had to take turns carrying it inside our jackets to thaw it out.
That sounds about as appetizing as the Mongols carrying meat under their saddles to keep it warm. No offense intended. tongue.gif

Vidalia

Vidalia
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 2:34 pm 
It was wrapped in plastic and foil! biggrin.gif

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostThu Aug 19, 2004 7:04 am 
pull the stringe
I know y'all probably think this this is untrail-correct, but I relied on those bags of food that sold on the wall at RET next to the freeze dried stuff. You just pull a string and the meal heats hot in 5 minutes, and it was good. Super convienient, although they wiegh as much or more then a 19oz can of beans. My problem is I can't find them anymore. REI guy said people complained about burnong themselves handling them. I'll take the risk. Does anyone know where I can score these, or who makes them so I can look it up? Thanx.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Aug 19, 2004 7:35 am 
Like Heater Meals? You can get those online and also at GIJoes smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
phillyjon

phillyjon
PostThu Aug 19, 2004 5:06 pm 
If those "heater meals" are the thing I'm looking for, Sarbar, then I thank you very, very much. My lazy butt just doesn't like to get a fire started, even if I knew how.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin