Forum Index > Trip Reports > Day 3/6: Delicate Arch and extras, Arches NP (4/19/12)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 9:10 pm 
Part 1: The Racetrack and extras, Death Valley Part 2: Sand dunes and Fall Canyon, Death Valley Part 4: Mesa Arch (Canyonlands) and Arches NP Part 5: The Needles, Canyonlands NP Part 6: Kanarra Creek and Zion NP A long travel day, culminating in a magnificent evening... After a leisurely 5hrs of sleep, I was off on the long 10hr drive east, from the western edge of Nevada to the eastern edge of Utah. The next three days would be spent in the vicinity of Moab, skipping back and forth between Arches and Canyonlands National Park. I made good time on the drive and reached Moab earlier than expected. My plan had been to spend sunset at iconic Delicate Arch, but I had enough time to tuck in a little bit of sightseeing at the Windows complex first.
1- Balanced Rock
1- Balanced Rock
2- South Window Arch
2- South Window Arch
3- Turret Arch
3- Turret Arch
Then it was off to the Delicate Arch trailheads. I first did the short 0.5mi (one-way), hike to the upper viewpoint, which I had not visited before. The view of Delicate Arch from there was surprisingly nice, though a little distant, which limited different photographic compositions.
I didn't spend too much time there, since my mouth had already started to water at the prospect of spending the last of the evening in Delicate Arch's shadow. The hike is 1.5mi one-way, with 700ft of gain, on slanted slickrock. I fairly flew across this. Upon reaching the arch I was greeted by the crowds, which had so irritated me on my first trip there. This time around the zoo was a bit more civilized, with people quite mindful that others also wanted to take photos of the arch. I wasn't too worried, because I knew that the crowds would thin out around sunset.
By sunset, most of the people who remained were photographers. There was a nice sense of camaraderie in the air. After sunset, just three of us lingered on. My favorite photos of the day were from then, with Delicate Arch (almost) all to myself.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kite

kite
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 4:32 am 
WOW!

Don

Don
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 8:16 am 
Love the after sunset color you got on Delicate Arch, Gali! up.gif

rhettlawrence

rhettlawrence
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 10:57 am 
Wow indeed.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 11:49 am 
Thanks guys. Delicate Arch is the most photographed arch in the world. Trying to come up with an original shot is almost impossible; I had to be satisfied with the soft pink glow for the after sunset photo. (I'm pretty sure even that must be a popular shot...)

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 12:30 pm 
Heh, we have an original shot as well, everything is black except for our flashlights. lol.gif This was one of the first trips David & I did together and we misjudged the sunset time and arrived after dark - oops! doh.gif Things have changed, I never do that anymore. hockeygrin.gif Awesome photos, you did a great job. I often find the best light is after the sun has set, sometimes in the SW the final sunlight reflecting off the red rock can be too bright and it can completely blow out in photos. I like the viewpoint one, that is quite a different view of Delicate Arch.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 3:49 pm 
awesome photos as always up.gif when i was there, i had no problem telling folks who lingered longer than necessary to move on so i can have my photo taken. biggrin.gif while standing under the arch about to have my photo taken, some kids started running towards me. i yelled for them to stop and wait until i had my time under the arch. worked! we were there in August, hot hot hot rant.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 4:25 pm 
bobbi, I need to take you with me every time I have prospective crowd trouble! lol.gif
Karen² wrote:
I like the viewpoint one, that is quite a different view of Delicate Arch.
If I'd had another sunrise or sunset at my disposal, I'd have spent it there - would have made for a great shot.

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 5:34 pm 
Heh, I was thinking the same thing, those clouds behind it look like they might light up awful nicely, would be a great landscape telephoto shot I think.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 5:37 pm 
kudos +1. Everyone needs a bit of arch support...(groan) Beautiful images as always..

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 8:51 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Great work again. But I just love the colors in this one--that sky is amazing. ~z

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSat Apr 28, 2012 5:36 am 
up.gif up.gif up.gif

Gil

Gil
PostSat Apr 28, 2012 10:47 am 
Ditto Dockery plus one up.gif

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini