Forum Index > Trail Talk > Can anyone tell me...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostMon Aug 12, 2002 8:53 am 
the name of this Mt. The pic was taken from the TH at Evergreen Lookout, in Beckler River. i was facing west when i took it. i think i know the name but i am not sure. confused.gif Ice Girl

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Aug 12, 2002 8:35 pm 
Evergreen Lookout
Icegirl, It is a little tricky as the Monte Cristo peaks are landmarks in that area and they are not in the photo. If you were looking west the broad snowslope is Spire Mt. The small black peak to the right is Bear Mt. This must have been taken in May as there is still considerable snow around. I have been fortunate to have summited Spire Mt and Iron Mtn (to the left) as well. Spire is a difficult peak whereas Iron is a walkup.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostTue Aug 13, 2002 7:54 am 
i thought it might have been Portownsen Mt., just so you know i was there last weekend, sunday. i figured out which mt. was Bear, no problem. i believe Bear Mt. isn't in this pic, it is further to the right. But see i don't know most of these mt. Names or what they look like. i plan to go there again in the near future to hike into Evergreen Lookout so i will check it out agian. The pic might even be taken, kinda southwesternly, not just westernly like i though at first. Ice Girl

IBEX

IBEX
PostTue Aug 13, 2002 6:13 pm 
Here's a WILD guess.
wildsky
wildsky

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Aug 13, 2002 7:02 pm 
I was at the trailhead on Fri myself. Darn nice day with an outstanding view. My take on the peak was Spire but am not sure. Soooo....which could it be? NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Aug 14, 2002 7:10 am 
Which Peak?
Identifying it as Townsend is possible also. The NW ridge of Spire has more of an angle than is in the photo. The bearing is everything to understanding the photo. I have been on the top of all those peaks aside from what is being called Burley and am still questioning. Gunn usually shows distinctive cat-ears in the profile. The ridgeline of Townsend is just right.