Forum Index > Food & Grub > Food ideas for diabetic hiker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Perry

Perry
PostThu May 17, 2012 8:21 pm 
I’ll add my two cents here. From my extensive reading and own experience, I’ve come to realize that we’re all unique individuals genetically, metabolically and bio-chemically. Whatever the diet: Vegan, balanced, Paleo, low fat, low carb…each one will work well for some people, but not other people, due to individual metabolic differences. Almost all the book authors out there are certain they have “The Answer”, and they each do…for some people. So, finding what’s ‘right’ means individual research and experimentation. I’m not diabetic, but my brother & dad are, and I dealt with blood sugar fluctuation issues for many years. As for Diabetic books, those who are interested may also want to check out Dr. Bernstein’s “Diabetes Solution” As to the original question about foods for hiking: the answer partly depends on what foods work best for you. You’re not likely to find many good choices in pre-packaged freeze dried food. The best solution is likely dehydrating your own meals. As Eppo said, some vegetables and fruits do keep fairly well for a few days. Nuts have a mix of carbs, fat, and protein. For the non-carb portion, freeze-dried beef and chicken are available for putting into your own recipes. And, Mountain House makes some freeze dried scrambled eggs meals which are fairly decent (add hot water, don’t need to cook further). Salmon, tuna and chicken are available in foil pouches. Beef or turkey jerky, some salami’s, and hard cheeses will keep for a while on the trail.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JennieEl

JennieEl
PostFri May 18, 2012 10:35 am 
"I’ll add my two cents here. From my extensive reading and own experience, I’ve come to realize that we’re all unique individuals genetically, metabolically and bio-chemically. Whatever the diet: Vegan, balanced, Paleo, low fat, low carb…each one will work well for some people, but not other people, due to individual metabolic differences. Almost all the book authors out there are certain they have “The Answer”, and they each do…for some people. So, finding what’s ‘right’ means individual research and experimentation. " Well put, Perry.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Mar 21, 2015 11:59 am 
I've been trying to eat clean. Keeping meals simple. A struggle. I'm a single, no one here to monitor me. Working graveyard doesn't help. Stress etc. Love water, no caffine in that. A weekend hike or bike while walking during the week days helps keep everything in check. Sometimes I'll pack an apple or a cucumber for a trail snack. Problem is hiking makes me so hungry and can't pack a bazillion pounds of veggies. I'm a big eater, 'cause I'm big. lol.gif 225-230lbs. Go off trail quite a bit, burns more fuel. Would like to chat with other hikers with Type2 managed by diet and exercise. PM me. smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 21, 2015 8:02 pm 
An insullin dependent former co-worker of mine thru hiked the PCT in the early '90s. He used some sort of insulated foil containers to protect the insulin. I'd reccommend doing trial run trips of a few days of hiking with the best diet plan you can devise from all the advice you gather. I would certainly work with your current doctor on your plan and ask that doctor for reccommendations on a nutritionist to help you make a detailed plan.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSat Mar 21, 2015 8:11 pm 
sarbar wrote:
One easy way to work around the carb issue is to use good carbs - cook at home and dehydrate. That way you can have high fiber whole grain pasta, brown rice, quinoa, etc - and by doing the prep at home you get nearly instant food.
This. And cooked beans and lentils dry well. Also, as for getting time to yourself, I found the best thing to do in order to get exercise was to just go hiking, and carry my daughter on my back. Investing in a comfortable carrier made this possible, and I gotta say that carrying around a 40lb kid definitely helps you get into shape!

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostSun Mar 22, 2015 9:05 am 
I had gestational diabetes this summer and had to monitor my blood glucose after every meal, and beans worked like magic to keep my levels stable. (It was also interesting to see the huge difference in blood glucose values when I was active after meals vs stayed on the couch - even a ten-minute walk made a huge difference. Definitely something to keep in mind for those with type 2. When I was hiking, I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted without my blood sugar going too high, but then again I was pregnant, so my body was working extra hard on trail.)

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Mar 23, 2015 12:09 pm 
One type of bean that is particularly good with blood sugar management is chana dal (sometimes spelled channa). They are essentially baby chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) and can be purchased at PCC in their packaged beans and misc other foods section, or bought in bulk at Whole Foods, or ordered online. Note that they look a lot like yellow split peas, but in fact they are not the same (although some will try to tell you they are). See LINK for lots of good info and recipes.

outdoorgrrl

outdoorgrrl
PostTue Apr 21, 2015 10:23 am 
Can you give me an idea of what a typical meal "in civilization" is? I might have a couple suggestions for you for home-dehydrated meals.

Are you tired of eating mediocre, freeze-dried backpacking meals? Learn to create inexpensive, tasty meals for backpacking and climbing with the DIY Guide to Instant Backpacking Meals.
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 10:31 pm 
Bought a bunch of walnuts yesterday. I should find a place to get them cheap and buy in bulk.

valerieedwards

valerieedwards
PostMon Apr 09, 2018 2:01 pm 
Thank you so much for posting that link! My son, Jack, is 10 years old (diagnosed as Type 1 at 6) and has expressed interest in backpacking with me (finally!). Lots of preparation ahead! I've been backpacking for decades and there is going to be a learning curve with this one!

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:15 pm 
valerieedwards wrote:
Thank you so much for posting that link!
I assume you must be talking about my link, since I didn't see any others nearby. You're welcome! I have no idea what effect, if any, dehydration has on the GI for chana dal, but for backpacking, you may want to try making whatever recipe looks look to you and then just dehydrate it. Most bean recipes rehydrate fine, although it may take a little longer.