Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Wha' happened? Saloon? Amazon?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NWHikers.net

NWHikers.net
PostSat Jun 02, 2012 11:35 am 
Disclosure: NWHikers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jun 01, 2012 6:49 pm 
It's like running down a familiar hallway (or maze) and reaching for the Saloon door and suddenly finding myself in Amazon land. dizzy.gif ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 01, 2012 7:19 pm 
Edit: thanks for your feedback on placement - link has been replaced with a small amazon icon on the top row as well as a link in the forum index. Feel free to click on the link(s) to purchase anything at amazon and a portion of your purchase will support NWHikers.net. Update (July 2012) ebates and other shopping portals are offering cash back at Amazon in limited categories. You may wish to check your favorite portal first and use our link to the extent you wouldn't otherwise benefit.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jun 01, 2012 7:47 pm 
I hardly ever buy stuff on Amazon but I will start trying harder right now.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jun 01, 2012 8:51 pm 
Okay, okay. Well, I certainly want to support NWHikers, but I need to ask a dumb question at this point. I don't like agglomerating my web activity via Google, Facebook, etc. So are y'all now linked to Amazon in a way that feeds back into NWHikers's database? So if I was to shop on Amazon via this new link you've set up, then all my purchases report back to this site? Ya' know--the privacy thing. It does matter to some of us. And I tend not to think so, but I want to hear it from you nonetheless. ~z P.S. Oh, and my post title. I see what you did there. wink.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 01, 2012 9:44 pm 
Good question / concern about privacy. When you click on the link it has our information in it so amazon knows you came from NWHikers.net. If you purchase something we get paid a referral: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/join/landing/referralfees.html We don't track who clicks on our link so have know way of knowing who purchased what. I don't believe amazon gives us information to identify you personally, but it looks like we would get the following reports: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/join/landing/reporting.html
Magellan wrote:
I hardly ever buy stuff on Amazon but I will start trying harder right now.
No need to do that. But if you do shop at amazon, we're giving you the option to support this website at no cost to you.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Jun 02, 2012 11:11 am 
I buy music through Amazon pretty frequently. Not sure how much this website would get off a $0.99 song purchase or a $6.99 album purchase but I'll try to remember to do it through that link.

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostSat Jun 02, 2012 11:22 am 
I buy soooo many Kindle books, I'll try to remember to get them here instead of through my reader. up.gif

mike

mike
PostSat Jun 02, 2012 11:44 am 
I had no idea what it was for and don't usually click without knowing. I suggest an Amazon logo with explanatory text on mouse-over, e.g. "Help support nwhikers by clicking through"

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Jun 02, 2012 12:45 pm 
mike wrote:
I suggest an Amazon logo with explanatory text on mouse-over, e.g. "Help support nwhikers by clicking through"
I think this is a great idea and think it would be great for people who are new to the site, find it helpful, and would like to give back. There are a lot of people out there who would like to help NWHikers and if you have a link on the front page that says "help support NWHikers...", it makes your (good) intentions more clear. Someone who is new to the site will have to find this thread to know what the shop button does.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Jun 02, 2012 3:11 pm 
Money can be the root of all evil. It also makes the world go 'round. Everything I know about the running of NWHikers is positive. As I understand it the site is run on a shoestring and is not commercial in any way. Kudos to Tom and whoever else runs this place. That said, if the site is going to collect money, how will the accounting be managed? Some other questions: Who owns the site and the content? Who decides how to spend the money that is raised? What is the budget? What about taxes? If some action/decision leads to higher revenues, will there be a tendency to respond to this incentive? I think we are currently living under a very benign dictator and liking it. This has all been good so far, but if the site starts to generate revenue human nature may kick in. It would be nice to have some plan to keep things in line with the founder's original intentions. Thanks again for the work you do to run the site and for inventing it.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jun 02, 2012 3:21 pm 
Good question about how to manage / what to do with funds. I guess we'll have to see how much is raised. If we raise more than we know what to do with I'd say there would be less incentive to continue down that road. Obtrusive advertising on this site is something both Michael and I have been opposed to from the beginning, and neither of us have any desire or plans to make money off it.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Jun 02, 2012 3:30 pm 
Ideas for uses of excess funds: Hire a web designer to make the forum way prettier, but still fast to load. Donate to an enviro non-profit of your choice. Scholarship for someone going into an appropriate field. The Trail Blazers do this and it's awesome. Pizzabeerpizzabeer. Some kind of a fabulous giveaway on the forum.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Jun 02, 2012 3:56 pm 
I think some funds should be used for the social (already mentioned.) and some sponsership for new hikers that are being taken out on trips helping them out with a new stove or bag?....or just pay some gas money to the person taking them out into the mountains for the first few trips of their life.

slightly angry hiker

slightly angry hiker
PostSat Jun 02, 2012 4:19 pm 
I cringed at the way it was first done, then I despised the change, and I loathe the way it is now. Even going back to not having it at all is ruined for me. I love the "benign dictatorship" comment, so true. wink.gif But look what happens whenever the group tries to decide something: it turns into a cluster fork. If Tom had come out with this idea first, and gotten opinions, several people would have hated every option. Me, I like the idea and I will use it when buying from Amazon, which I do occasionally. If the button is too inconspicuous, it won't get used as much. I liked it at the top, all the way to the right side, next to support. But anything is good, really. Money should support the forum, and any left over go to buying us a clubhouse like the Mountaineers have. Get shopping! ykm.gif Edit: No, the way it now is the best yet. up.gif The saloon has always been at the far right side.