Forum Index > Gear Talk > Warmest glove liner?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
matai

matai
PostMon Jun 04, 2012 10:04 am 
I've found out that my fingers are very susceptible to getting cold and hard to warm back up. I had a bad experience up at Camp Muir this last Saturday when I had to take off my big gloves and was just wearing my liners so I could get into my pack and put it on. Anybody have any idea what the warmest liner gloves are that have good dexterity? I'd like to be able to get into my pack, open a granola bar, stuff like that. Any ideas? Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jun 04, 2012 10:15 am 
Try a vapor barrier: Nitrile medical gloves inside your gloves.

BirdDog

BirdDog
PostMon Jun 04, 2012 10:33 am 
OR makes some very good liners, in different wieghts that are quite warm. Take a look at the PL 100, 150, etc... liners. Also, try to organize your stuff so that you do not have to remove your gloves very often. Practice do things with gloves on.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jun 04, 2012 10:46 am 
Try some windproof fleece gloves, just be certain you don't constrict your fingers in any way. Make sure you have enough room in your shells to accommodate them. For many folks even a small amount of snugness from a stretchy glove can make fingers colder. I am warmest in slightly loose fitting handwear. PM me if you suspect you have Raynaud's syndrome and I will send you some super top secret US Government info for treating Raynaud's Syndrome. Actually, you can probably find the info online, but it isn't super easy.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jun 04, 2012 12:08 pm 
I've found those OR poly liners to be very cold. I prefer a wool liner like Smartwool or Ibex.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Jun 04, 2012 1:40 pm 
I love my Smartwool glove liners--at least twice as warm as my old polypro glove liners! Plus they don't melt when I grab my hot cooking pot with them! I've worn the same gloves for two years now--at home, around town, hiking--and they still look as good as new. I take them with me all summer along with my Mountain Laurel Designs Rain Mitts. When it gets really cold, I add a mid-layer of fleece mittens. Since I have a long history of itching badly in wool garments, I held off trying merino wool for a long, long time. I kept thinking of the beautiful lamb's wool sweater my mother bought me for a present when I started college, and how miserable I was every time I wore it. Three years ago, I decided to try a pair of merino wool socks and promptly fell in love with them. I did a test, air drying both synthetic hiking socks (Thorlo) and merino wool hiking socks of approximately the same weight. The wool actually dried faster! If I can't dry them all the way, they at least are far more comfortable when wet.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Ziploc

Ziploc
PostMon Jun 04, 2012 3:08 pm 
I've had good luck with these UA glove liners. The warmth is not like that of wool but the dexterity is excellent. Easily pick up a dime off the table. They are made out of Nomex fabric so no worries with melting. There are cheaper versions available. But the wool gloves mentioned are a good choices for the cold hand issue.