Forum Index > Food & Grub > Salmonberry Pie
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 1:57 pm 
Does anyone have a recipe that they have actually tasted and could recommend for salmonberry pie? I just picked two quarts to satisfy my foraging urge and am excited about eating a pie. But first I will have to bake one.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 pm 
If no one volunteers a recipe you can find a berry pie recipe online. On most pie recipes I cut the sugar in half, but I would not do that with salmon berries.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Jul 12, 2012 10:59 pm 
Salmon berries are very watery, you might want to cook some of the water out of them then use a standard black berry pie recipe.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Jul 13, 2012 6:12 am 
up both sugar and binder consider adding a sweeter berry with more flavor or some other flavor profile, such as candied ginger. I find even the ripest salmonberry to be pretty insipid. You can try grating an apple and squeezing out the juice. Add this. It adds pectin ( and binding). I learned this on Americas Test Kitchen for Blueberry pie brown sugar would add a nice flavor dimention, but be aware it adds water to the overall recipie

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 26, 2013 11:28 am 
never had salmonberry pie, Mike. did have salmonberry tarts one evening for dessert at a place down near First and Virginia... open-faced (no top crust). the shells were baked, but not the fruit... they filled the shells with a mix of salmonberry, sugar, and cornstarch. don't think you'd have much luck baking the fruit- too mooshy.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Aug 03, 2013 5:04 pm 
Maybe I've just been eating from the wrong salmonberry bushes*, but they taste pretty seedy to me. If I were going to make a pie (or more likely, talk the Missus into baking one...), I'd be tempted to strain out the seeds first with something like a 1/16" mesh strainer (too fine and you'd be left with nothing but juice). ---------- * Sounds like a new phrase "if you ask me, that kid's been eatin' from the wrooooong salmonberry bushes..."

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 03, 2013 5:45 pm 
therein lies the problem: you'd have to use so much thickener (cornstarch or tapioca or arrowroot) you'd have glue for filling- kind of like those gawd-awful strawberry-cornstarch-red-dye-topped things they peddle at supermarkets. the other problem is that salmonberries are in season before the Himalaya or Evergreen Blackberries, Dewberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, or Huckleberries ripen. solution: be patient and wait for the others, or buy the grown-in-Mexico out-of-season stuff. doesn't hold a candle to our own local berries, but it works.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jun 05, 2020 4:36 pm 
Most of us, including me, do most of our gathering at Costco or QFC. But this year's bounty of salmonberries are at the harvesting stage. I gathered enough for two pies today. With one of the pies I plan on mixing the salmonberries with the blueberries gathered at Costco. I usually have a top crust but want to make one with the top exposing the berries as they are so colorful.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 05, 2020 5:24 pm 
We have lots in our backyard. They are best fresh but usually I leave them for the birds. The Himalayan’s make far better pies especially combined with blueberries.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Jun 06, 2020 11:44 pm 
This year is different; for the last 22 years I've tried salmon berries, I had found them mealy, seedy, and tasteless, to the point I'd try a few each season just to see if they're still mealy, seedy, and tasteless. But this year; wow, big, sweet, and juicy - and they have flavor! I didn't leave any for the bears last weekend. Good luck with the pie, Mike! I live in Lake Forest Park; if you're nearby, hand one over to me! hungry.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 2:06 pm 
A few more tips that might help with mooshy-ness: One thing my mom taught me to do with any pie (even apple) is, once the dough's in the pan, use a pastry brush to coat it with egg whites. That helps seal the dough and keep juice from soaking it. When I didn't have a pastry brush, I'd just pour the egg white into the pan, roll it around and spread as necessary with my fingers, then dump out the excess. If you make a sweet crumble-topping, that will help absorb some of the liquid. I like the idea in one of the old posts to mix the berries with apple to add some natural pectin, and a flavor note like a bit of candied ginger. For me the highlight of any pie is actually the crust - it's gotta be a good, flaky crust made from scratch; not that pre-made cardboard junk. Mom always used Crisco (not the healthiest choice, but are pies supposed to be healthy??) Let us know later how they came out! epicure.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 08, 2020 11:47 am 
Lard is even better! For pie crusts and tortillas! But I don't use it, I use Crisco as well. Not the butter flavor, it acts weird.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert