Forum Index > Photography Talk > I need a little advice from the camera geeks!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 23, 2004 1:31 pm 
I dropped my beloved Canon s40, and I've busticated the LCD panel on it. bawl.gif Like many digi users, I am totally reliant on it! So, I have two options. Option one: Canon doesn't want to fix it, they want to give me an upgrade to an S50 for $225 plus shipping plus tax, I'm guessing we're talking 260-270 when all's said and done. Option two: I can take it to a local shop, Phototronics, and get the old one fixed. $79 for the panel, $32 for the labor, and $40 to replace the (scratched up) LCD cover while they are in there. Total outlay including the optional cover replace= about $165. I've looked at the specs of the two, and they are veeerry close to identical, except that the 50 is 5 mil megapixels instead of 4. In both cases I will only be without the camera for zero to three days, so that's not a factor either. I'm thinking there's no reason to go with the upgrade option, but would like feedback if there is anything I'm missing here. Goes without saying that I'm on a very tight budget. Camera guys, tell me why I should consider the new camera option.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Aug 23, 2004 2:36 pm 
You're right, same camera basically. No big stuff to make it worth the cash. Are they offering a new S50? I only ask because that has been discontinued I believe. The only big advantage would be that if it is new all of the parts presumably have less wear and tear than the parts on the S40 which is used aside from the new LCD. There may be other busticated parts that you don't know of. Also, are they giving you a warranty or anything with the S50. A warranty and new parts would make it a much closer call. Also, I don't follow the real compact cameras so I don't know what you can get in terms of value but you should check out other current models and see what 200 bucks will get you. It's not worth spending $165 for an older used camera if you can get something better and new for a few bucks more. I would not be surprised if you are able to do better for 225 than a discontinued S50.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 23, 2004 2:42 pm 
The s50 is a refurb with a 6 month warranty. I also have three batteries for my s40 and not a lot of cash, so I'm not too into starting over from scratch, esp since I prefer a fully manual camera, which costs more in every case.

ihikebighills

ihikebighills
PostMon Aug 23, 2004 3:02 pm 
It's a wash. If they wanted to sell you an S60 I'd go for it, but they're not.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 23, 2004 3:13 pm 
Of course. Very reputable shop, the only place in town for camera repairs, IMO. up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Aug 23, 2004 4:07 pm 
ok, I think that question is why Tom didnt answer this question? He's way camera up. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 23, 2004 4:11 pm 
I think Tom may be a little busy today.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Aug 23, 2004 7:49 pm 
Your S40 batteries will work in the S50 without issue. No love lost there. I'd go with the S50, myself. Mind if I ask what number you called on re: the busticated S40? My S400 got a bit wet over the weekend and started showing the well-documented E18 error. I managed to get my zoom to retract, but the LCD's displaying everything in inverse, i.e. bright white == ghostly black. Agonizing. Truly agonizing. I was pricing S500s and S410s last night, but would love to have a lower priced upgrade from Canon direct if possible.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 23, 2004 7:53 pm 
Canon CS 1 800 828 4040 Sorry to hear yours is sick too!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Aug 23, 2004 8:08 pm 
My guy didn't mention tax, but my upgrade cost from the S400->S500 was $250 + $10 2-day shipping (they ship to you, then you return via prepaid mailer). Repair cost was $150 + $5 shipping, 10-14 days after receipt of your camera shipped to them. It's tempting. Ugh.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 23, 2004 8:18 pm 
If Phototronics can fix it I bet it's WAY cheaper. I've had them do work on the old kind of camera, the kind with film, very nice.