Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Olympic trail shelters
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
elderbob

elderbob
PostTue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 am 
Thanks for the photo Lotus. Is this shelter (Falls Creek) the one near Graywolf? It is not on the list of all the shelters posted by Paul Gleeson, unless he just refers to it as "Falls" shelter? You have the word "Beach" which is confusing me. Just wondering if you mean it is near a beach?

www.windsox.us Bobs ONP site
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostTue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 am 
It is the one near falls creek on the coast. NOT the one up the Greywolf (although I have some old pics of that also someplace). Mark

RodF

RodF
PostWed Mar 28, 2012 12:49 pm 
Lotus54 wrote:
It is the one near falls creek on the coast.
Where is Falls Creek on the coast? (There was a shelter at Cedar Creek, south of Norwegian Memorial...)

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostWed Mar 28, 2012 5:18 pm 
South part of third beach. Just before Taylor pt

RodF

RodF
PostThu Mar 29, 2012 5:09 pm 
Lotus54 wrote:
Falls Creek... South part of third beach. Just before Taylor pt
Thanks, Mark! Wow! That bumps the count of Olympic trail shelters (listed in the first posting in this thread) to 177. (When searching for this, I also noticed there's another coastal "Falls Creek" crossing, a tributary of Goodman Creek, on the Hoh Head trail.)

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
RPBrown

RPBrown
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 12:18 am 
Not a trail shelter but while we're on the subject here's Interrorem in 1946. My auntie manned the station June-September of 46 and spent the summer fishing the Duckabush.

elderbob

elderbob
PostWed Apr 11, 2012 11:13 am 
Check out the following link about historical maps of ONF and ONP https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7997563 There is one of the original plans for an overnight shelter on my Web site. RodF did the scanning and some of the stitching. I just put everything together in one place. Rod has posted a few of the maps earlier. Now they are all together.

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostFri Jun 22, 2012 7:35 pm 
We were going through some stuff and came across an old map of mine I had not seen for many years, the USGS Olympic National Park and Vicinity 1:125K topo from 1957. It was amazing how many of the long-gone ONP shelters referred to in this thread are included on this map. Had it scanned today in high-res gray-tone (color scanning was more expensive than I could stomach) and have uploaded the 23 MB jpg file to flickr. Contour interval is 200 feet. The paper map size is 33" x 45" and the dimensions of the jpg I uploaded to flickr are 13,472 X 9694. As far as I could tell, this map was not linked or loaded elsewhere in this thread, so I'm hoping it will be of some interest to those who enjoyed the old trail shelters. Am hoping this file won't be too unwieldly to view; if it would be better presented some other way, let me know. To see it full-size, you'll need to click on "view original" at the top of the image page.
1957 USGS ONP & vicinity topo scan
1957 USGS ONP & vicinity topo scan

reststep

reststep
PostSat Jun 23, 2012 12:11 pm 
Thanks for posting the map AA. We sure have lost a lot of shelters. The group "Friends of Olympic Trail Shelters" has helped restore some of the shelters. Are they still in existence? The park service is restoring some of them now also I believe.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
elderbob

elderbob
PostSat Jun 23, 2012 4:16 pm 
Hi Reststop Yes, the Friends are still around and active. Just ask Rodf. He has been working with them. Bob aka Elder Bob

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jun 23, 2012 6:24 pm 
Amazing map! I am stunned to think that 177 shelters have existed at one point in time.

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostSat Jun 23, 2012 6:32 pm 
I'd sure like to get the full sized scan... I recall when so many were being burnt down- many by one person. I still remember when he came through after burning down upper Cameron. We counted 29 sub alpine furs killed and he left a huge mess. Yeah, that really helped the wilderness alright. Mark

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSat Jun 23, 2012 9:31 pm 
Lotus54 wrote:
I'd sure like to get the full sized scan... I recall when so many were being burnt down- many by one person. I still remember when he came through after burning down upper Cameron. We counted 21 sub alpine furs killed and he left a huge mess. Yeah, that really helped the wilderness alright. Mark
pm sent. If the guy burned the Upper Cameron shelter right where it was standing, I'm not surprised he killed that many sub-alpine firs. There was a really nice stand of them close to the north side of the shelter. Hard to understand that kind of thinking. 06-24-12 NOTE: I got a message that it was difficult to view the scanned 1957 map via the flickr link on nwhikers.net, so I have emailed copies of the scanned files in pdf and jpg format to elderbob in hopes that he'll be able to set up a link so the 1957 map can be more easily viewed here.

elderbob

elderbob
PostSun Jun 24, 2012 7:12 am 
Ancient Ambler wrote:
06-24-12 NOTE: I got a message that it was difficult to view the scanned 1957 map via the flickr link on nwhikers.net, so I have emailed copies of the scanned files in pdf and jpg format to elderbob in hopes that he'll be able to set up a link so the 1957 map can be more easily viewed here.
I got the maps and put them on my Website. You should be able to view the maps in their true size without any trouble. They load slowly, so be patient. I will add a link to them later on my Website. For the time being use these links to see the entire maps. http://www.windsox.us/1957_Map/1957USGSONP&vicinitytopopdf.pdf http://www.windsox.us/1957_Map/1957USGSONP&vicinitytoposcan.jpg There may be problems using the jpg link from this posting. When I tried it, I got a Hot Link error message. Just copy the link and paste it into your browser address bar. It should work. Bob aka Elder Bob

elderbob

elderbob
PostSun Jun 24, 2012 7:37 am 
Use this link to my History page. It has the links on it also. You should be able to click on them to see the maps. If you have trouble, let me know. They are large files and may not work for you but work for me. http://www.windsox.us/VISITOR/history.html Thanks, Bob aka Elder Bob