Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sandy Butte 6076' - Storey Peak 7821' (Sawtooth Wilderness)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jul 08, 2012 9:39 pm 
Location : South of Mazama, Wa. Access : SR 20 > FR 100 to end Maps : GTM - Mazama Stats : 12mi, 4900' r/t
Sandy Butte 6076' - Storey Peak 7821'
Sandy Butte 6076' - Storey Peak 7821'
Steve and I have had our eye on this peak for a few years, we reconned FR 100 last year after another trip and made it to the end near 4400' where we hiked up the end of the North Ridge that leads to Sandy Butte 6076'. We noticed a faint trail on it's crest and figured it would be the best route for a future peakbag of Storey, a Sawtooth Wilderness Peak of 7821' at the Eastern terminus of Gardner Ridge. The road this year was in better condition compared to last, but still has erosion with some wash out, so a 4WD would be recommended. We stopped before the roads end, put on our backpacks, and headed up the low north terminus of the ridge, finding the faint trail right away.
The plan was to camp on the summit of Sandy Butte, facing Gardner Ridge check the route, get an early start, because Saturday was suppose to be a hot one, also there is no water except for remaining snow until your well on your way up Storey's North Ridge. The backpack up was on faint trail, off trail, and using old sheep driveways, and was fairly steepish in the late afternoon sun, however just on the North side of the longish summit plateau we saw two and only two patches of snow left on Sandy Butte, which we came back to for water.
No water, no where, melting snow.
No water, no where, melting snow.
We didn't expect Sandy Butte to be so large and open, it was quite a nice area, and we set our tents up facing Storey and Gardner Ridge.
Upper part of route.
Upper part of route.
We looked around a bit, checked the ridge route, there were bear tracks, and scat all around but we would never see any bears. The next morning we were up around 0430, off by 0530. We followed the sheep drive, went off trail through woods, hooked to far left, got back on the crest and dropped into the saddle transitioning onto Storey's North Ridge and on the crest running into a faint trail.
This trail was a gift considering the woods around us, and we hiked this steep trail to near 7000' at which time we stayed on the ridge crest on top of a huge drift that was incredibly high. The snow was excellent, this dumped us out right in front of the final ridge scramble to the summit of Storey (class 2-3). We were on the summit around 0900.
North Gardner
North Gardner
Gardner
Gardner
Steve scrambling the ridge.
Steve scrambling the ridge.
Final ridge section to summit.
Final ridge section to summit.
From this angle you can see part of our route back, then in the distance Sandy Butte.
From this angle you can see part of our route back, then in the distance Sandy Butte.
Blue skies, sunshine, views, warm, and our work behind us, well half of it, at least we were going down hill for the most part. But, it was great to be up here standing in front of Gardner Ridge, on Storey, with Steve. We both wanted to knock this peak off, and we've done so many Sawtooth Peaks.
Reynolds and Camels Hump in the background.
Reynolds and Camels Hump in the background.
Gardner Ridge from Storey.
Gardner Ridge from Storey.
Oval Peak. Steve and I dropped off the summit and down the ridge on the right into Duffy Lakes a few years back.
Oval Peak. Steve and I dropped off the summit and down the ridge on the right into Duffy Lakes a few years back.
The trip back was a knee cruncher, and hot, especially packing up camp which was shade-less, then the 1600' down in 2.0 miles, but great to be out in the mountains. winksmile.gif
Heading back down.
Heading back down.
Gardner Ridge in your face
Gardner Ridge in your face
Looking West to North from Storey's South Ridge
Looking West to North from Storey's South Ridge

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 4:24 pm 
I like the park-like spacing of the trees in your pictures....no underbrush to battle. fencing.gif
I bet you could fry an egg on that open ridge today. stun.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 5:05 pm 
Don't even want to think of the hiking in the heat, unless it was dawn, it is 108-112 over here right now. I'm not sure of the mountains in that pic, they overlap, but I think Kangaroo Ridge, Early Winter Spire, and Liberty Bell are in there.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jul 10, 2012 8:28 pm 
Oh, so that's where you guys were when I was trying to contact you! Looks like an interesting trip.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 9:07 am 
I has a cell signal, then I didn't, then I did, then I didn't. Storey is just within the Sawtooth Wilderness, but not to far South of 20 or West of Winthrop. I did send some summit pics that made it to my wife and daughter at some point.

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 pm 
I miss hiking with you guys. We have to get out together sometime. Looks like a nice trip up.gif accept for no fish clown.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 10:17 pm 
MLHSN wrote:
I miss hiking with you guys. We have to get out together sometime. Looks like a nice trip up.gif accept for no fish clown.gif
Fish? When they can't even find enough water to slake their thirst?? Let me get this straight...You want to hike into every alpine lake in Chelan county and Wildernessed wants to summit every named peak in Chelan county(plus all the un-named high spots), how are you two going to come to an agreement on a hike?

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostThu Jul 12, 2012 12:36 pm 
I figure Wildy will check off all the mountains one day and have to resort to checking off lakes embarassedlaugh.gif until then, he'll probably be melting snow for water while I'm floating in my raft tongue.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jul 12, 2012 2:45 pm 
Most of the trips i have in mind include lakes, and a summit. suuure.gif