Forum Index > Trip Reports > Beljica 7.28.12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tiger

Tiger
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 8:37 am 
Not much time to make fun of my dad in this trip report. I am too busy planning my next hike. This trail did not show up on my map, but Zachster gave us good directions to the trailhead. We were surprised at the six other cars in the parking lot at the end of this bouncy road.
Oh good, we're starting early
Oh good, we're starting early
Our favorite
Our favorite
Coral fungus
Coral fungus
The hike has a few steep spots but is mostly well graded. Glacier View Wilderness is entered not too far before Lake Christine. There were some guys camped right next to the lake. It looked like a great place to swim when the temperature is a little warmer.
Fading but nice
Fading but nice
First time in this Wilderness
First time in this Wilderness
Me and Lucy
Me and Lucy
Lake Christine
Lake Christine
Some people were confused by the snow near the junction to head up to the summit, but we easily found our way. Soon snow stopped and we saw the most avalanche lilies I have ever seen. Bugs were starting to add up too.
Rolling out the white carpet
Rolling out the white carpet
Can't stop the fun
Can't stop the fun
Peek a boo
1 label
Peek a boo
Family time
Family time
The summit has a pretty serious cliff on the north side, so dad and mom kept us seated as we had lunch. Mt Rainier played peekaboo, but eventually showed up as the clouds lifted. Everyone had already left so we had the top to ourselves. Yay, another late start pays off! I could see two lookouts in the area, so we have a reason to come back. Lu and I can recommend this hike for kids as long as care is taken.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 8:44 am 
Thanks for the TR Tiger. I am disappointed to report that some of our pictures and a very fun video did not download. I wiped the card before I figured that out. mad.gif Road 59 is not obvious from Hwy 706. It's just about 3.2 miles past Whittaker's Bunk House. If you cross Copper Creek, you just passed it. If you hit the 35 zone, you have definitely passed it, although with the upcoming chip sealing project, there is going to be a lot of 35mph zone on 706. Once on 59 drive 4.2 miles and take a hard right. Drive another 1.6 miles to the trailhead, which is obvious. We saw some interesting characters in this area. Some were camping, riding quads, and just staring off into space. paranoid.gif The hike: ~4 miles R/T with 1200' of gain

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 7:20 pm 
Nice TR. I think every kid should do this hike. It has two thing that most kids want to see on a hike, a lake and views.
Magellan wrote:
If you cross Copper Creek, you just passed it.
If I was describing the turnoff to someone that had never been there, I would say ~ after crossing a small creek, there is a restaurant on the left. Turn around at the restaurant. Go back over the creek and take the first gravel road to the right/north.

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Aug 01, 2012 11:03 am 
Hey, aren't you kids s'pozed to be home eating junk food, watching TV, or staring at a computer screen like a zombie? Get with the program. There's a reason they call it "programming". smile.gif

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 01, 2012 11:41 am 
Nice report. up.gif up.gif I think Beljica was the first named summit I ever bagged (edit: yes, it was.) I somewhat prefer to come in the other way, from the Glacier View trailhead. Instead of turning off the FS road to Lake Christine, keep going to the top of the ridge (great views from up there) and over to the trailhead for Glacier View (a nearby peak-let with a nice view of the mountain) and Beljica meadows. You can also go to Goat lake or Gobbler's Knob from there.