Forum Index > Pacific NW History > GT Mine lost and found
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bart Cannon

Bart Cannon
PostSun Mar 28, 2010 2:02 pm 
Public Access and the GT
Snowbrushy, Yes. This is a very confusing part of the thread, but the thread is tailored for GT people. The broader subject of public access to public lands is huge, fiery, and controversial. I have been a hardcore brush wacker, alpine trecker since 1965. I have employed 4WD vehicles in my quests since 1968. I once was able to drive my CJ-5 to within 0.6 miles of Poodle Dog Pass and to within 0.4 miles of Hardscrabble Lake. Those places have ALWAYS been hard to get to, and never did I encounter a fellow hiker or trash tossing 4 wheel driver. I should have emphasized that most of the gates and access limitations are now created by the very agencies that should be supporting access by the public to public lands. That would be the BLM, the USFS, the State, and the Counties, all of which are now being controlled by the stealth based environmental "non-profits". I have numerous BLATANT examples of road closures in the Skykomish Ranger District which have been conducted illegally by the very agencies whose job it is to follow the law. The West Fork of the Miller River road closure is a beautful example. I had the USFS and King County running scared on this one, but I don't have the resources to fight them. They were pressured by ALPS and the Sierra Club to close the road. What's a poor hiker to do? The Cleopatra, Coney, and Aces Up will only be visited in the future by Indiana Jone's ghost. The same for Clipper and Dutch Miller in another nearby valley, and Devil's Canyon in a third and so on. And the ghost of John Muir is spinning in its grave as well. I filed two appeals to the closure of the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River Road. The USFS solution was simple. Appeals Denied. The Sierra Club knows that media, the Sierra Club legal teams and volunteer armies can not lose, and the costs of all of their lawsuits are paid for by you and me. To me, wilderness unvisited is of less charm and value than viewing the Moon. At least I can see the moon. And by the way.... as of the third week of September, 2009 the bull wheel in the GT was still there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HiTop

HiTop
PostSun Mar 28, 2010 6:38 pm 
All good!!!
Jimbo, Well, it's there, and yes it was a little late to head out but that's fine, I did not here a voice all day. It was late when I got back but I was glad to see everything in it's place. I had a cougar following me part of the day, spooky buggers they are. I went by myself and really just wanted to get back after that so I kept a pretty speedy pace on the way down. I sure can get there quick without a heavy pack. The water pipe now, I am trying not to be so specific about the location but hoping it was understood that I am talking about the valley that the GT is in but NE of it. You can almost see the GT from where the pipe is. The bottom of the pipe is too low to see the mine and the upper section wraps around a mountain also blocking the view. I think it is too far away from the GT to be part of that site, but maybe it is. Just tring to spark some interest, I think there is something over there that has not been found yet. Now, for the private land issue. I am definately not trying to keep anyone from using public lands. I just want people to understand that it's private and the land owners do have the right to keep people off. I found out the hard way a couple of years ago, right there. Gotta remember, tweekers go into the hills and brew meth on peoples land, it sucks but it is reality. There is a cool old mining cabin up there destroyed by meth heads, really too bad cause it would have been cool to use. Anyway, there are two ways in, one way private and the other way is through public lands(Money Creek). It's private almost from peak to peak up that valley and National Forest begins at the old growth trees about 2 miles in. It is private by two different owners and they are pretty serious about keeping it that way. A gate is now closed about 3/4 mile in, maybe when all of the fuss dies off it will be open again. I would really like to talk some more. Please throw some thoughts at me I have plenty more to share. Also, please understand my words or comments are not meant to piss anyone off or an attempt keep anyone from the history, I just greatly respect the good people that own the land on the way. Good to here back from someone, thanks.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Mar 28, 2010 9:27 pm 
DANCING THE DANCE
HiTop wrote:
I would really like to talk some more. Please throw some thoughts at me I have plenty more to share.
HiTop, let's talk about some GPS numbers. Location, location, location.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
taterhacker

taterhacker
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 6:29 pm 
what a great day. hiked in on 3-25-10 stayed the night in th e tunnel wich was partally blocked by snow. made a great loop from money creek to return down the index creek drainage . had some time to get up into the east fork of index and locate the yellow jacket as well. some great hikeing i love this place great place to live. thanks for going with me guys it was fun.

taterhacker

taterhacker
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 6:32 pm 
oh and no problems with any land owners didnt cross onto private land once. i guess i love the brush and the grind of going staight up.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 6:56 pm 
How much snow was up there? How far up Money Creek could you drive?

taterhacker

taterhacker
PostTue Mar 30, 2010 10:05 pm 
Could only drive to the washout. Started about 4 a.m. very dark. snow starting somewhere around the apex. took a right at lake elizabeth up the ridge to gain the ridge that circles crater. still alittle to dark to see the morning star. came up to little red mt then dropped into the gap between there and big red. arrived at this location around nine . dropped into the left, snow was stable navigated along the left hand wall untill comeing to the gt. had quite a bit of snow that built up in front of the opening. made camp left the next morning ealy. navigated down and to the right. almost to thevalley headwall then down a spine. then out the valley, crossing index cr. staying right heading up into the e fork through a maze of old road grades finnaly into the valley reaching our destination comeing out on different road grades and ending up on low creek rd where our destination ends. what a great trip.be advised not for the faint of heart. take the right gear. be safe. have fun its a grind.

Bart Cannon

Bart Cannon
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 1:06 am 
Taterhacker, Congratulations on completing quite a heroic adventure. My hat is off to you. Good thing you didn't try the trip this week. Did you climb out of Index Creek at the big rock slide - rock slump and head down the logging road network to the last cabin on Index Creek or did you slog all the way out along the valley bottom? Did you take two cars and shuttle back to car number one or did you meet in the middle with your partners and get into each other's cars? As late as 1920 there was a crude road running along the North side of Index Creek up to the GT mill area. I expect that the old road is now the hardest route in and out. I suspect that the dry creek bed in September might be most practical route.

Bazetech

Bazetech
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 9:47 am 
Just my take on this, if it is such a secretive location, seems you guys are giving fairly explicit land marks and info? Not that I'm complaining, if I had the resources, I would love to go exploring for it. It's the looking not the finding for me. cool.gif

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain
alexmilliken

alexmilliken
PostTue May 25, 2010 10:42 am 
It's uphill from crater lake.. which is an arduous hike. who cares.

WindyPoint

WindyPoint
PostThu Mar 03, 2011 5:25 pm 
me and everyone else on this forum, can anyone give me A MORE DETAILED EXPLATION of this mine

In search of History!
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Mar 20, 2011 1:35 pm 
Windypoint, In many ways I feel sorry that I can't share with you the information that you want. I started this thread with every intention of sharing the info that I'm privy to with everyone - folks just like you! Unfortunately it was not to be. Not here. I don't know why. I'm sorry. Truely. Maybe if you read this entire thread you'll find the GT mine. Search. Just don't get yourself lost, OK? Good luck up.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Mine Explorer

Mine Explorer
PostFri Aug 24, 2012 5:31 pm 
Within 20 minutes online I found the exact location, wasn't at all hard to do. Don't wate your time going up.

Gronk

Gronk
PostThu Sep 20, 2012 11:03 pm 
Well, summers over and fall is on the way, sounds like some of you folks might have actually made it to the tunnel, and or the mill site in the past, good for you! Did you touch the three balled wonder? How about the smell of that goat piss, it took three washes to get that funk out of my sleeping bag after the first time I went up. Anyway, just wanted to let you folks know that the Orion, AKA Hole In The Wall, AKA Goooooolden Tunnel is an active mine claim. It is owned by the three operators of the Red Cirque Mining Company and is filed under its ORMC# with the county and BLM. This means it is closed to mineral collecting, mining and prospecting of any kind, that includes pointlessly smashing whatever shiny thing you please with a rock hammer you schmuck. You know who you are. Please respect this fact as you continue your adventures. If your motivation to discover this site is to retrieve artifacts, be aware that that is called theft of forest resources and can be a felony, there has been extensive documentation and research done on the site over the last 30 years, there is a ton of info on the site if you know where to look. In truth there is nothing of real interest remaining other than the mineral values. If you still need to see the site with your own eyes, and you are in good shape,(and I mean really good shape) stubborn not afraid of heights and able to take care of your self in a hostel environment, you will eventually find the site. Of course, we wont be publishing directions to our mine claim, but hey, this is America, if you find it you find it. Good luck, Gronk.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Sep 21, 2012 7:10 am 
Gronk wrote:
It is owned by the three operators of the Red Cirque Mining Company and is filed under its ORMC# with the county and BLM.
It's interesting that the BLM Records have no record of this company or claim - either active or pending