Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > UW volleyball
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 26, 2012 10:27 pm 
Any volleyball fans out there? The Dawgs won an epic 5 set match against defending National Champ UCLA tonight. The match was here in Seattle, I'm wishing I would've gone, but I did watch it on TV.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Oarboar
Comically unhip

Oarboar
Comically unhip
PostThu Sep 27, 2012 9:49 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Any volleyball fans out there? The Dawgs won an epic 5 set match against defending National Champ UCLA tonight. The match was here in Seattle, I'm wishing I would've gone, but I did watch it on TV.
Volleyball fan and also a big Ivan Doig fan? Are you sure we weren't separated at birth? Volleyball is really an underrated game. One of the highlights of my sportswriting career in terms of exciting contests was covering a district game before rally scoring. The team I was covering fought off seven match points -- seven! -- to win and clinch a berth to state. The other team got knocked out in the losers' bracket. Part of the problem is that volleyball coaches are really, really, really lousy at promoting the sport. The only adjective they seem to know is "good."

Sadly, right now I'm a poseur. Sigh.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 27, 2012 10:31 pm 
Oarboar wrote:
Are you sure we weren't separated at birth?
Maybe we were. Yeah, volleyball is a fast paced, exciting sport. I used to go to quite a few of the UW home matches, but not so much anymore.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 27, 2012 10:32 pm 
Straight Arrow wrote:
Raise your hand, who likes athletic college women in volleyball shorts? up.gif
I genuinely enjoy the sport, but that aspect of it doesn't hurt at all suuure.gif

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Sep 27, 2012 11:47 pm 
Big fan here. Was a setter and weak side hitter (I'm a lefty) for 25 years. Was taught by a guy who was the setter for the Japanese Junior National Team. Retired now because of age (56 on 9/28) and too many ankle injuries - was putting a definite crimp in my climbing and hiking.

The only easy day was yesterday...
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Sep 28, 2012 2:44 am 
I coached v-ball at the middle school level for several years. No other sport: 1. is so streaky and up and down momentum(control of the game?) 2. is a dynamic blend of exquisite, isolated individual skill(passing-setting-hitting) melded into a mesh of three hit teamwork. Great sport. Am I the only one who likes full side indoor v-ball much better than the beach game? (Except for bikinis of course.) hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif Tom

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 28, 2012 4:55 am 
My daughter was very active in both club and varsity vb. Her school took second in State in here senior year and she was recruited by several colleges. She cose to go to UCSB but not play except recreationly. Both Beach and regular are great sports but Division 1 NCAA is a bit heavy.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
graywolf

graywolf
PostFri Sep 28, 2012 7:42 am 
tmatlack wrote:
I coached v-ball at the middle school level for several years. No other sport: 1. is so streaky and up and down momentum(control of the game?) 2. is a dynamic blend of exquisite, isolated individual skill(passing-setting-hitting) melded into a mesh of three hit teamwork. Great sport. Am I the only one who likes full side indoor v-ball much better than the beach game? (Except for bikinis of course.) hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif Tom
I coached high school volleyball for three years; district champs two of those years. Yup, I like the indoor game much more.

The only easy day was yesterday...
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Sep 28, 2012 7:50 pm 
And the Dawgs just got their 2nd straight win against a top 5 opponent, this one a 3-0 sweep of USC. UW will probably move up to #3 in the next poll.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Sep 28, 2012 7:51 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
so streaky and up and down momentum
You're not kidding about the momentum swings. Sometimes back and forth within a given set, or sometimes it's night and day difference from one set to another.

SMPaul

SMPaul
PostThu Oct 04, 2012 10:05 am 
My daughter is also a V-baller (club and HS varsity), and yea, there is nothing like a two strong teams going against each other!!!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Oct 18, 2012 6:26 pm 
The Huskies were the last unbeaten team in the country. They finally lost last week to the Ducks, but UO has only lost once all season. Friday at 6 the Huskies host Stanford, HUGE match. Stanford is currently leading the Pac 12 and the Huskies and Ducks are 1 game behind them.

trestle

trestle
PostFri Oct 19, 2012 6:27 pm 
Watching it live now, gotta love the PAC-12 Network! First set against Stanford was a blowout. Volleyball is truly a team sport; there is nothing you can do to score without the assistance of teammates. Unless you serve an ace. hockeygrin.gif Ugh. The Ducks....their court is uglier than their yellow football uniforms.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Oarboar
Comically unhip

Oarboar
Comically unhip
PostFri Oct 19, 2012 7:35 pm 
johnson37 wrote:
Volleyball is truly a team sport; there is nothing you can do to score without the assistance of teammates. Unless you serve an ace. hockeygrin.gif
Heh heh heh. In my college volleyball class back the first time around, at least a decade before the advent of rally scoring, the day before Thanksgiving had our teacher, who played volleyball on the college team, and six guys, including me. We played 6 on 1, and she got to bump, set, and spike by herself. We thought, "Oh, this will be quick." Well, we could get one past her pretty easily sometimes, but not twice in a row. It took the whole class hour, but she skunked us 15-0. eek.gif lol.gif

Sadly, right now I'm a poseur. Sigh.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 19, 2012 10:06 pm 
Damn! I watched the first and second set on TV before going to a concert for the evening. Got back home and saw the Dawgs lost 3-2. UW absolutely CRUSHED them in game 1 and 3, lost by 2 in game 2 and 4, and got crushed in game 5. That sucks. What a weird match. down.gif frown.gif