Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Olympic trail shelters
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostSun Jun 24, 2012 2:22 pm 
That's a great scan that AA has generously shared with us all! Thanks, Bob, for hosting it.
reststep wrote:
The group "Friends of Olympic Trail Shelters" has helped restore some of the shelters. Are they still in existence?
Yes, very much so. They restored eight shelters in Olympic NF and one in Olympic NP, and continue annual maintenance on these shelters.
Magellan wrote:
Amazing map! I am stunned to think that 177 shelters have existed at one point in time.
The list at the start of this thread is now at 179 trail shelters. This map shows Tipperary Camp Shelter on the Elwha Trail is not the one at Hayes River GS as I'd assumed from less detailed maps, but was a separate site 1/2 mile north of Hayes.
AA re. burning shelters wrote:
Hard to understand that kind of thinking.
Indeed, but it persists today... witness Green Mountain Lookout. Wilderness Watch openly proclaims itself "Ahistorical", seeking a Wilderness devoid of history. While for most of us here, our Wilderness experience is enriched as much by knowledge of its history, as of its geology or botany.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostWed Jul 25, 2012 7:38 pm 
Finally got around to uploading and now posting a picture of the remains of Coastie Head WWII Spotters Cabin.
Coastie Head Lookout Remnants
Coastie Head Lookout Remnants

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
elderbob

elderbob
PostFri Jul 27, 2012 9:22 am 
Olympic Hiker Thanks for the photo. It has been posted on my website with credit to you. http://www.windsox.us/VISITOR/history_shelters.html#WS1 Posted alongside of a photo by HJT of what it looked like some years ago.

www.windsox.us Bobs ONP site
RodF

RodF
PostWed Oct 03, 2012 1:53 pm 
Hurricane Hill Lookout (1940s?)
Hurricane Hill Lookout (1940s?)
The sign reads HURRICANE HILL LOOKOUT ELEV 5751 FEET One of the chain of USFS lookouts, including Bogachiel Peak, Dodger Point and Blue Mountain, which became part of Olympic NP. Existed circa 1933 to 1960. Photo courtesy of local hiker RikS from a family photo album.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
silence

silence
PostWed Oct 03, 2012 2:11 pm 
thx so much rod .. it makes me think of those stories of crisler and wife spending their winters up there during wwii

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
RodF

RodF
PostWed Oct 03, 2012 3:54 pm 
Waterhole ski hut (Obstruction Point Road, Olympic NP)
Waterhole
Waterhole
Waterhole in winter by Brian Melvin
Waterhole in winter by Brian Melvin
For decades, a winter ski patrol and crosscountry ski tour destination. Declared "unnecessary for emergency use" and wood stove removed 2008, declared "unsafe" and demolished 2012. RIP to another historic and beloved destination in Olympic...
Waterhole destroyed Oct 1 2012
Waterhole destroyed Oct 1 2012
Photos courtesy FreeHurricaneRidge, a project of members of the Hurricane Ridge Winter Sports Club and community.

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostWed Oct 03, 2012 4:17 pm 
I had heard about that today and was having a hard time believing it, even though the info I had included a photo showing nothing where the hut used to be. I had been up to Obstruction Point in the morning on October 1 for a bit of photography out along Lillian Ridge and glanced off to the road down toward Waterhole as I passed there and saw the cable was across the road blocking access. Can't remember if the cable was still across the road down to Waterhole on my way out around 2 PM. Of course the hut was far enough away from the Obstruction Point Road that you couldn't see anything going on down by the hut from the main road anyway. So they did the deed on October 1? No notice to the public? No recourse? Classy move, ONP. Very classy.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 03, 2012 4:22 pm 
So many good times there. bawl.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostWed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm 
I never even heard a rumor if this...I usually would. Unfortunately, ONP has a long history of 'classy moves'

elderbob

elderbob
PostThu Oct 04, 2012 7:03 am 
RodF, thanks for posting the new photos. They have been added to my website. www.windsox.us Has the weather changed yet so you cannot do any more trail work this season? Will you be sending me new stuff to add to the website? History of something?

www.windsox.us Bobs ONP site
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostThu Oct 04, 2012 7:12 am 
I see from the freehurricaneridge link RodF posted that ONP apparently removed the hut sometime in September 2012. Here are a few photos of it in recent years, inlcuding one I took this July.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Oct 04, 2012 4:15 pm 
We started going in the early 80's it was controlled by one ranger who was a skier who had a lottery every year. It was kept quiet, this is what happens when things are publicized and folks want to dis "the elite". rant.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
RodF

RodF
PostWed Nov 14, 2012 12:09 am 
1937 Mount Olympus National Monument report lists all the shelters in Olympic National Forest. Table 4 in the report dated January 29, 1937. Source: Olympic NP archives, Paul Gleeson files, uncataloged.
Mt. Olympus Nat'l Monument shelters 1/24/37
There are 82 entries, but 3 are duplicate entries, so 79 shelters are listed. Most are shown on the 1936 Olympic National Forest recreation guides. However, several are new to me: Copper Creek is presumably Silver Creek shelter. Big Quilcene Forks - assume at the mouth of Tunnel Creek? Irely Lake - confirms mystery symbol on 1940 Olympic NP map N. Fk. Mouth Ewells Cr. - at upper end of Lake Quinault Wynoochee Guard Station* is listed as available to the public as a shelter. Rainbow - at Rainbow C.G. & G.S., as shown on 1932 Taplin map. "Intermount Horse" is likely at Intermount G.S. at Brown's Creek C.G. "Brown's Cr. C. G." is also listed separately, so there were 2 shelters there. (Le Bar shelter is also depicted on Taplin's 1932 map, presumably at Le Bar G.S. two miles upriver, as shown on the 1941 ONF map.) "Duckabush Horse" is presumably Upper Duckabush, as Collins, Five Mile and Ten Mile are list separately. "Elk Lake #2" - the real curiosity is the "#2" designation. Was there an even earlier shelter? (In 1963, new Elk Lake #1 and #2 shelters were built; the #1 or lower shelter nearest the lake shore was removed in 1976.) "Camp Hilligoss" is on the east shore of Upper Lena Lake on the 1933 ONF map. "Belleview Log" is also a mystery... Six Ridge existed then as a primitive trail, but the Belview Shelter was built in the 1960s. Was there an earlier shelter at the same site? Adding the six listed above in bold, the list at the start of this thread now totals 192 shelters! * Notes to clarify the Wynoochee shelters: Wynoochee Shelter at Big Creek RM 49.3 shown on 1941 ONF map on the Humpnoochee Trail 1 mile north of Wynoochee GS RM 48. West Fork Wynoochee shelter is at mouth of West Fork RM 58.2 (1948 ONF map) Wynoochee Shelter was at Copper Creek RM 62.5 (USGS locations DB, 1935 Recreation Guide No. 17 & 18 maps). (Wynoochee Falls CG is RM 61.)

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostWed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 pm 
Deer Lake Shelter. 1972

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostSun Jan 27, 2013 11:07 pm 
Upper Cameron Shelter