Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Wagonwheel Lake trail history?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
umphtydunkie

umphtydunkie
PostThu Sep 02, 2004 3:39 pm 
I am planning on hiking wagonwheel lake trail this weekend, and was curious about the "history". Does anyone know why this VERY steep trail was built to a lake that I hear is really not that great to look at? I've made an attempted hike in the past, but never made it due to a late start. I also noticed that there appears to be a cave next to a section of the trail near the beginning. It's just as the trail becomes steep and begins switchbacking. Does anyone know if this is a natural occurance or man-made? I really enjoy the history of these trails and the surrounding area. Also, if by slim chance, there is something of interest still in the area (such as a nice cabin), please do not disclose the whereabouts as I too am concerned with the looting and vadalism that can occur. I'm just looking for general history. Thankyou.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Phil

Phil
PostTue Oct 12, 2004 7:17 am 
I don't recall any remarks about that trail in Wood's Olympics' history books, or other books of the area. Most attention was given to the route up the skok, and at the start of the original mule road they were on the other side of the river. A few guys from their parties made forays up the east side, and may have scaled Lincoln, but I doubt they would have considered hacking up the mini-ridge/gully to Wagonwheel. So I'm just guessing but maybe a product of mining plus recreational hikers, trips by early homesteaders, hunters? Going up to Wagonwheel is a logical route to Copper, Lincoln, and over to Mildred lake, so it's no great leap of faith to imagine Lake Cushman homesteaders and recreators giving it a go.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message