Forum Index > Photography Talk > Calendar 2013 (the individual version)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostFri Nov 23, 2012 11:49 am 
Energizing collections! Mine starts with Cover photo:
Tatoosh Buttes
Tatoosh Buttes
Alpine tourists
Alpine tourists
Lookout sundae with Orion on top
Lookout sundae with Orion on top
Enchanted forest
Enchanted forest
Sunshine & sprinkles
Sunshine & sprinkles
Summit sunrise
Summit sunrise
Moonshot & Shuksan
Moonshot & Shuksan
Seeded pasque flower
Seeded pasque flower
Jack Mountain scramble
Jack Mountain scramble
Elemental silver & gold
Elemental silver & gold
Sheep Mountain reflection
Sheep Mountain reflection
Waning moon with Mercury
Waning moon with Mercury
Palouse falls
Palouse falls
What is the best quality/priced printer for calendars?

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:44 am 
I like this thread a lot. The other calendars are amazing - I think I prefer them to the official one no matter who wins. I thought I'd try to put together a Middle Fork calendar using the same rules - only pics from the last 12 months. They are so hard to pick, but I chose these for wonderful memories of days spent outdoors in my favorite place.
Cover - Pedro Camp
Cover - Pedro Camp
---
Jan - Silk Frost
Jan - Silk Frost
Feb - Beached log
Feb - Beached log
Mar - Si Cliffs
Mar - Si Cliffs
Apr - Infinite Bliss
Apr - Infinite Bliss
May - Si Great Buttress
May - Si Great Buttress
Jun - Garfield Balconies
Jun - Garfield Balconies
Jul - Hardscrabble bridge
Jul - Hardscrabble bridge
Aug - Nellie Falls
Aug - Nellie Falls
Sep - Williams Lake
Sep - Williams Lake
Oct - Mailbox Peak
Oct - Mailbox Peak
Nov - Low water, Russian Butte
Nov - Low water, Russian Butte
Dec - Moolock view
Dec - Moolock view

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostTue Nov 27, 2012 7:49 am 
Neat perspective on Mailbox; I love those shots (as in envy) biggrin.gif

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 7:28 am 
D. Inscho wrote:
What is the best quality/priced printer for calendars?
Not sure. I use Costco, which doesn't have great print quality for their calendars (none of them do), but is the cheapest one I know of. You can get cheaper deals with quantity discounts - though not through Costco - but I only printed 35 copies this year (so far), which isn't enough to qualify. One problem with Costco is that it does not allow much customization. e.g. I have to stamp the photos with the location, since there is no option to add a label. I've found that mentioning the location is important - everyone asks me where the photo was taken. This year I've also written up a small blurb, per photo, which I will include with the calendar as a separate page: January – Niagara Falls, Canada
I love visiting Niagara Falls in winter. It's cold and the weather always seems poor, but crowds are sparse and the sheer amount of snow and ice piled up is something else. On a typically cold and rainy winter day I made my way to the Canadian side of the falls. The “Journey behind the falls” attraction – one of the few that is open in winter – takes one down to base of the main Horseshoe Falls. A wooden hut with open windows provided some shelter from the spray, but not nearly enough. Even though I took this photo from inside the hut, I would have to wipe the lens dry before and after each photo. As I stood there taking my photos I was struck by how amazing the overcast sky looked - I'd never seen a purple one before. February – The Racetrack, Death Valley National Park
Photographing the mysterious moving rocks of The Racetrack Playa – one of the many treasures of Death Valley National Park – had been something I had waited eight years to accomplish. To get to this place had taken a lot of effort: 2.5hrs of driving, one-way, with the final 27mi along a gravel road, for which I'd been forced to rent a 4x4 vehicle with heavy duty tires. It was all worth it though, since the pancake flat playa, nestling in a fold of the Panamint Mountains, was an incredible place. One corner of it was crawling with the famous rocks. Tracks, etched into the earth, recorded how the rocks had moved. Despite man's best efforts, the exact cause of this movement is still unknown. March – Mesquite Sand Dunes, Death Valley National Park
Death Valley is home to the lowest spot in North America – 282ft below sea-level. It is also home to outcrops of sand dunes, some of which are quite extensive. The Mesquite Sand Dunes were some of the more accessible ones. I ended up spending both early morning and late evening climbing up and down these dunes, some of which rose more than a 100ft high. April – Phipps Conservatory Spring Flower Show, Pittsburgh
After the limited palette of winter I need an infusion of color. The Phipps Conservatory Spring Flower Show has become a favorite haunt of mine each spring. The riot of color, tasteful displays and perfumed air are a perfect way to get over the winter blahs. May – Delicate Arch, Arches National Park, Utah
Iconic Delicate Arch is the pride of Arches National Park. This was my second time visiting it. I reached the arch in the afternoon, well before the sunset I had come for. However, I was perfectly content to relax and enjoy the amphitheater. Near sunset the arch was bathed in warm sunshine, intensifying the red colors of the rock to an almost unimaginable level, but the best of the color show happened as the sun dipped below the horizon. Reluctant to leave, I stayed until it got well and truly dark. The hike out was in the dark, with a headlamp, but the price was more than worth it. June – Cranberry Wilderness, West Virginia
Recent rains had the waterfalls of the mid-Atlantic flowing and the greenery glowing. Unfortunately, the wet conditions had resulted in extremely muddy trails. The hike hadn't been much fun up till this point, but this lovely 8ft tall waterfall on Beechy Run, in a spot of sublime beauty, wiped all negative thoughts away. July – Lakes of the Clouds, New Hampshire
The austere and ferociously windswept heights of New Hampshire's Presidential Range are home to some of the highest peaks in New England with Mt Washington, at 6288ft, the very highest. The ridge bobs its way over various peaks, named after presidents, anchored near the middle by Mt Washington. A one-day traverse of the range, whilst summiting the presidentials, is one of New England's premier hiking challenges – 19mi, 8100ft of elevation gain and 8 peaks, for me. This photo was taken near the middle of the traverse, looking back towards Mt Washington and the Lakes of the Clouds hut. August – Arches National Park, Utah
Twenty six years ago I saw a photo of Turret Arch, as seen from North Window Arch. The photo didn't give the location, or any other details, but it stuck in my mind. Fast forward to two years ago, on my first trip to Arches National Park, when I finally realized where the photo had been taken. Unfortunately, I was unable to figure out the exact shooting location and came away empty handed. This year, I returned and was able to puzzle it out. Armed with this knowledge, well before sunrise, I scrambled up to a rocky perch in the dark and waited for the sun to come up. I've never had a longer wait, or been more satisfied in order to take a photo. September – Letchworth Falls State Park, New York
Letchworth Falls State Park has three magnificent waterfalls, one after the other. This was the middle one of the three, and the last one I visited on my quick trip to the park. October – Ricketts Glen State Park, Pennsylvania
Ricketts Glen is my must-visit-in-fall location. More than two dozen waterfalls tumble down the two forks of Kitchen Creek. My favorite of the bunch is Oneida Falls, as pictured here. November – The Painted Hills, Oregon
Take a bunch of crayons, hand them to some mischievous god, and tell him to go to town on that ancient Oregon river bed. Once the god has done his bit, hand the keys to the National Park Service, as part of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, and be on your way. You would have done the rest of us a great service - fascinating us with a completely alien landscape. I had waited five years to visit this place, but couldn't make it happen when I lived in Seattle. Pittsburgh is even further away! Finally, this year I was lucky enough to visit Oregon; I managed to spend the entire day there, just relaxing and soaking it all in. December – Pittsburgh
The West End Overlook has my favorite view of Pittsburgh. This photo was taken a little before dawn, in that short 10min window when the sky had just about started to get some color, but before the lights of the huge 'tree' at Point State Park got switched off.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 1:11 pm 
Very, very nice GaliWalker! I bet these look fantastic in print. I think the blurb about each photo adds a nice personal touch. The recipients must look forward to these every year! Well done.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 9:38 am 

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 am 
Nice shots AH, but none of em made me laugh confused.gif

iron

iron
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 10:14 am 
Jim Dockery wrote:
Nice shots AH, but none of em made me laugh confused.gif
first serious TAH post ever???

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 12:31 pm 
It's a calendar I put together for relatives every Christmas, so I try to keep it at a level that a chronic alcoholic can understand.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 1:03 pm 
Griz and wolf in King County made me laugh.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 2:16 pm 
Awesome photos Angry Hiker! up.gif up.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 4:47 pm 
Riverside Baker wrote:
Griz and wolf in King County made me laugh.
I agree! Especially when you're clicking through the larger sizes and come upon these ones. lol.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 pm 
You sure get around Gali; I think the backstory adds much to image appreciation. AH- I really like the Spada picture because of the depth, and I'm a sucker for those fearless trail dogs.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostThu Dec 06, 2012 11:39 am 
Thanks! That "fearless trail dog" is a little odd. She tends to chicken out just below the summit block. But then she'll turn around and do something like this:

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostThu Dec 06, 2012 8:50 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
Thanks! That "fearless trail dog" is a little odd. She tends to chicken out just below the summit block. But then she'll turn around and do something like this:
Is that a cliff-hangin' canine in the middle? lol.gif