Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Silver Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpine Tom

Alpine Tom
PostFri Sep 03, 2004 11:05 am 
I'm a newbie to this site, and have already spent most of my time here in the NW History forum. I was hoping to find some information on Silver Peak, but a search doesn't show up anything. In my old Beckey book (the 1979 edition) he refers to "This tradition-rich summit..." I've always wondered what that was about, but I haven't been able to find any information about it. Anyone know what traditions he's talking about? (knowing Fred, it could be a tradition of coed nude skiing or something! biggrin.gif )

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostFri Sep 03, 2004 11:12 am 
Alpine Tom

Alpine Tom
PostFri Sep 03, 2004 12:05 pm 
Maybe I should have been less ambiguous. I know where Silver Peak is, and I've climbed it a couple of times. What I'm curious about is the "tradition-rich" adjective that FB uses. Was it just a popular climb for early Mountaineers parties? The name implies to me a mining history, but it doesn't show up in "Discovering Washington's Historic Mines" (it's just south of the dividing line.)

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostFri Sep 03, 2004 12:18 pm 
One tradition that comes to mind is the "Pin Peaks" mania of the early Mountaineers Club. Silver was one of the "Snoqualmie Pin Peaks"......if you climbed em all, you got a pin. strut strut.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostFri Sep 03, 2004 12:29 pm 
I think early Mountaineers liked to ski it.

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostFri Sep 03, 2004 12:35 pm 
In my edition (1987), he calls it "This traditional summit". Perhaps it refers to its popularity. Perhaps the nom de summit refers to riches thought to lie beneath it's shell. Someone check the mines references?

tuoron

tuoron
PostSun Sep 05, 2004 2:45 pm 
Here is a listing of mines and mineral sites. If one looks at Silver Peak, pyrite and quartz are listed among the minerals found. I wonder if any prospecting was done up there? Or maybe the peak is silver in color, or named after someone whose name was Silver, or perhaps some hiker had a sliver in his foot and named it Sliver Peak but then it got mispelled at the town post office. It wouldn't be the first time. Spell checkers didn't exist back then.