Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enumclaw Lowland Peakbagging 12-22-2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeb
Summit Driven

Jeb
Summit Driven
PostSat Dec 22, 2012 8:15 pm 
With fresh powder dropping everywhere of interest in the cascades, and still no snowshoes, my eyes turned to a few small knobs near Enumclaw. I started the day with St Paddy's Peak just South of Kanaskat-Palmer State Park. From 343rd Ave SE I took the second left and parked at the gate. It drizzled as the Automan and I ascended the grassy logging road the 1.3 miles to the summit. We were greeted with better views than expected from such a low peak.
Bayne Existence from St Paddy's Peak
Bayne Existence from St Paddy's Peak
Automahn on St Paddy's Peak
Automahn on St Paddy's Peak
Waterfall from St Paddy's Peak looking SE
Waterfall from St Paddy's Peak looking SE
Next stop was nearby Baldy Hill, where I met up with 2 friends with a schedule for the day. It should be noted that the Hancock Timber Co. purchased this land from Weyerhauser and now charges for motorized and non-motorized access. After turning South up a well-beaten path just past the power lines, the hike turned into a serious bushwhack.
Baldy Hill Trailhead
Baldy Hill Trailhead
Pinnacle Peak from Baldy Hill summit
Pinnacle Peak from Baldy Hill summit
Baldy Hill Summit with Lava rock?
Baldy Hill Summit with Lava rock?
This summit provides substantial views to the Southwest and Southeast, including Pinnacle Peak, Mud Mountain and The Three Sisters. While researching the hike I came across records of late 19th century newspaper articles which reported explosions and smoke from Baldy Hill, and speculated that it erupted. Three things are certain: 1. It has been confirmed that the peak was once volcanically active, 2. The City of Enumclaw says the name means "thundering noise" 3. There are rock formations on the summit that look suspiciously similar to cooled molten rock. We managed to stay on a few of several named horse trails on the return and avoided any further bushwhacking. I've included only the gpx track from the decent for clarity. My friends did not have time to join me on an attempt on Radio Peak so decided instead to head to Pinnacle Peak, which they had both climbed before. The well-groomed Cal Magnuson Trail was a pleasant change from all the road walking. The Columnar Basalt along the trail below and north of the summit is beautiful. I was surprised to find foundation blocks from a fire lookout tower that once stood at the top.
Cal Magnuson Trailhead (Pinnacle Peak)
Cal Magnuson Trailhead (Pinnacle Peak)
Columnar Basalt
Columnar Basalt
Lookout Tower foundation blocks turned to benches
Lookout Tower foundation blocks turned to benches
Pinnacle Peak Benchmark
Pinnacle Peak Benchmark
Not quite satisfied and with a still-energetic pup, I returned to the north and engaged in some more road hiking on the way up another small peak west of St Paddy's. I have only seen this peak strangely named "Bayne Existence" in a few searched on the web. From Cumberland-Kanaskat Rd to the East, several semi-smooth looking rock faces are visible near the top. I found the summit itself to be hardly worth the trip through thick sticker bushes and devil's clubs surrounding it, but being so close, I suffered through and brought my poor dog with tongue.gif
St Paddy's Peak through the trees from Bayne Existence
St Paddy's Peak through the trees from Bayne Existence
Enumclaw Mountain from the North
Enumclaw Mountain from the North
View larger size in new window  📎St Paddy's Peak.gpx (75 KB)
View larger size in new window  📎Baldy Hill Descent.gpx (59 KB)
View larger size in new window  📎Bayne Existence Ascent.gpx (56 KB)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostSat Dec 22, 2012 9:40 pm 
Hey Jeb - it looks like you were on a little knob often called Mount Baldy. Our experience with Mount Baldy is that the actual summit private property which the horsemen seem to be unaware. We talked with the owner and he says people continue to take down his private property signs and fences. He and his family do NOT want people to go there. We found out the hard way. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostSun Dec 23, 2012 12:52 am 
Eh, I don't know, can something like this really be considered "peakbagging"? huh.gif

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Jeb
Summit Driven

Jeb
Summit Driven
PostSun Dec 23, 2012 7:58 am 
I'd say it's all a matter of perspective. I've achieved many more popular, "impressive" summits with less prominence than any of these 4, often requiring considerably less effort. And thanks for the heads up, Karen. We saw no fences and only a few no trespassing signs which we assumed outlined the private property. We were going off a map from http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/696863.jpg My apologies to the land owner if we did unknowingly trespass.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Dec 23, 2012 11:46 am 
Jeb wrote:
I'd say it's all a matter of perspective. I've achieved many more popular, "impressive" summits with less prominence than any of these 4, often requiring considerably less effort. And thanks for the heads up, Karen. We saw no fences and only a few no trespassing signs which we assumed outlined the private property. We were going off a map from http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/696863.jpg My apologies to the land owner if we did unknowingly trespass.
Jeb, I have just been informed that this was on private property. I apoligize for my part in the misinformation. I have heavily edited that SummitPost page now to prevent people from climbing this summit. I was going on a newspaper article and found little information about this mountain being on private land. Thankfully Karen has notified me that the summit is on private land and the owner does not want anyone on his land. It though should be noted that the northern area is owned by Hancock Timber and with a permit it can be hiked on. However do not go south and attempt to summit!!! You will be subject to criminal trespassing

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
hams nut
ALL SMILES HERE

hams nut
ALL SMILES HERE
PostSun Dec 23, 2012 8:02 pm 
Bayne was actualy a mining town years ago , I hope to do some snooping around here when I move back

"People shooting ski areas should be sued" Author Mr.Bruce Bennedict
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Dec 25, 2012 2:59 pm 
You can generally look these things up in property records if unsure. And assuming that you want to know. It appears that the summit belongs to a Fred Eaton although all but that last bit of the route is on Hancock land until you cross into Section 32. See: http://info.kingcounty.gov/Assessor/eRealProperty/Dashboard.aspx?ParcelNbr=3220079035 http://info.kingcounty.gov/Assessor/eRealProperty/Dashboard.aspx?ParcelNbr=3220079035

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostFri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 pm 
3/22/13- A side note on this thread. BearQueen and I went to Saint Paddy today only to find that the road has private no tresspassing signs on the gate and a sign up for towing. The signs look like they were recently put up there. We did not bother to proceed up Saint Paddy Peak but instead settled for the nearby hike in neighboring State Park.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.