Forum Index > Gear Talk > Recommendations for warm jacket
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
runnerfun

runnerfun
PostWed Dec 26, 2012 6:59 pm 
Looking for suggestions/input. I am in the market for a warm jacket (women). A little confused with so many options out there. What I need-- As someone who is always cold, I want a jacket that braves -10F to 20F Waterproof would be good in good ole rainy days What is primaloft? (sorry, total newbie here) Not a fan of Down jackets as they seem too bulky. Once again Warmth is the top criteria With a hood would be great. budget is around $250 (max) Thank you

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostWed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm 
I really like my Airwalk ski jacket. It's extremely waterproof and fairly breathable, but not breathable enough for backpacking. And it isn't really insulated- it's just 2 seperate layers of laminated nylon. It has wetsuit-like sleeve extensions that can be pulled over your thumb to reach inside your gloves. High collar with zipper all the way to my lips. Drawstring hood with visor, which can be zipped off if not needed. Even has a built in chamoise for wiping off your goggles. Secret key pockets. Vent zippers. So the airwalk is great for skiing or even everyday use around town. But mostly useless for hiking- it's far too warm, and also too bulky and heavy to carry when not in use. For serious walking you'll probably want a waterproof, breathable shell; used as part of a layered clothing system. E-vent, Hy-vent and various Goretex configurations are a few of the established breathable shell materials. A few newer ones are mentioned in the links below. Using a thermal base layer is recommended, plus various layers of synthetic, breathable wickable material as needed. Primaloft is the new fiberfill- they just change the name every few years. It's a synthetic alternative to down, which, although not as warm as down, performs better if it gets wet. Down is largely useless when wet. Primaloft tends to give you the same puffy look as down, depending on how the garment is constructed Synthetic fleece works well for a middle layer. Base layer for me is synthetic, although the popular kids all use merino wool... Confused yet? You don't really want a warm jacket- you want a waterproof, breathable shell to wear over layers of warm, breathable clothing. Unless you really want a warm jacket, in which case I would recommend looking in ski shops. Be prepared to spend some cash... Nothing is warmer than down... There are several recent threads on jackets: jacket thread1 jacket thread 2 jacket thread 3 jacket thread 4 jacket thread 5 You might consider a co-op membership at REI. They have a great return policy...

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostThu Dec 27, 2012 11:54 am 
Is there a reason you consider down to be "too bulky"? No synthetic insulation is as warm for the weight or compresses nearly as much as (quality) down. It would help to know what you plan to layer with it. It's going to be hard to recommend a jacket good to -10F if you are wearing a tank top and flip flops wink.gif Cabelas has some cheap, warm down options. I wore a $50 clearance cabelas down jacket up rainier last year. Chic mountaineer that I am clown.gif

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Dec 27, 2012 12:38 pm 
I suggest other things may be going on with headwear and layering that cause one to think they need a minus 20F coat for the cascades assuming this is your location. Be that as it may the weight and bulk of a waterproof -10F to -20F synthetic coat will be greater than down. Having said that to avoid the bulk and weight of synthetic insulation you have to purchase your way out; two ways to accomplish this is with Arc’teryx’s Fission SV or Arc'teryx's Fission SL I own the men's version of th SL, great insulated waterproof mountain shell.

runnerfun

runnerfun
PostThu Dec 27, 2012 6:35 pm 
Thank you so much, all these links are really helpful

Wahsega

Wahsega
PostFri Dec 28, 2012 9:01 am 
Wild Things Belay Jacket. Epic fabric for waterproof/ breathability and Primaloft insulation. Ive used it in New England for ice climbing and its warm. It was not unusual to get to a belay stance on days of -20 degrees. Also on sale now was 249.00 now 186.75. Thing is bomb proof. Its redesigned from the one I have. And made in the U.S.A.

Wahsega
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Dec 28, 2012 10:45 am 
I owned Wild Things original Belay Jacket and Nevado Jacket, had to dump the Belay because of weight and lack of compression, not because of warmth. The Belay weighed more than my 15 degree sleeping bag and had greater volume in my pack, on the other hand the Nevado was virtually as warm as the Belay but weighed 40% less and compressed quite small. The other nice feature with the older models was the three way adjustable hoods, doesn’t appear the new Belay hood is as adjustable at least looking at the pictures, although it is supposed to be “fully adjustable.” One thing I never confused with Epic by Nextec was waterpoofness, it’s not, just water resistant.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostFri Dec 28, 2012 8:05 pm 
The Mammut Stratus is my winter jacket...on sale at Mtn Tools right now for $139 My down jacket for when I need slightly less warmth/a lot less weight is the Western Mountaineering Flash jacket.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
runnerfun

runnerfun
PostSun Jan 27, 2013 4:29 pm 
Thanks all for your response. After much digging in I bought a wild thing jacket which is working great. I also got a Mammut Stratus Hooded jacket in men/medium hoping it would fit but it doesn't. It is really warm though but since it is big I am selling it. If interested please mention Nwhiker and I will give you $10 off the selling price.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jan 28, 2013 6:09 pm 
The only new clothing I've bought in over 20 years is the rain gear. Everything else from yard sales, 2nd Bounce, Lakeside Rummage Sale. Down is unreliable in the Cascades. Does anyone else concur that wool is heavier, but warmer when wet? Look for long sleeves that can cover your hands, a nice feature. They never seem to get the collar snug -- and you can't have it tight -- you lose a lot of heat out of a loose collar -- so those tubular fleece neck scarves are worth their weight in gold, and they double as an emergency hat. An important item is the ultralight wind shell, possibly worth spending real money on, but I got 2 Sierra Designs shells for about $5 at Value Village. IMO, Sierra Designs stuff is well-designed and well-made.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
iron

iron
PostTue Jan 29, 2013 5:55 am 
thread on cashmere: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7997377 even slugman verified it, so it must be true smile.gif i picked up a cashmere sweater at my local goodwill for $10. stylish too. hoping it works well.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 29, 2013 11:39 am 
I started that thread, on cashmere wool, and I'll reiterate that it's a truly fantastic insulating layer for hiking and camping. It's light, warm, and luxuriously soft.

runnerfun

runnerfun
PostTue Jan 29, 2013 4:44 pm 
Big fan of merino wool also, works like a charm. (Btw, the jacket is sold)

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Apr 13, 2021 10:05 am 
As part of a layering system, I prefer a down hooded "sweater" rather than a "jacket". It packs far more compactly, and is perfectly adequate with the right layering system. They are available with a Pertex Shell and Dri-Down which is slightly better for moisture conditions, but this in not rain-wear. Synthetic insulation doesn't pack down as well as down, so it takes more backpack space. Both down and synthetic insulation will both be pretty miserable if you get them wet. I keep my down sweater and sleeping bag together in a dry bag. I normally have a long sleeved shirts on. If it gets cold I will but on a single packed mid-layer (either 100 Layer fleece or an OR Ferrosi hooded jacket depending on temperatures). A (down) Sweater is way too warm to hike in, it's really for warmth after I've stopped hiking, and early morning. If it's really cold it will add warmth in my sleeping bag.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 15, 2021 6:38 pm 
I wear Filson wool clothing in the winter time. Filson Mackinaw jackets and pants. If youre talking about hiking type jackets Feathered Friends makes great down jackets.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln