Forum Index > Support & Feedback > superscript numbers (and letters)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 am 
The world is full of 'squared's and 'cubed's and things to the 'nth'. They all come with superscript numbers or letters, so there must be some fairly simple way to make them ...... isn't there? frown.gif Can we do it here on the forum? uhh.gif How about other places: Word or Flickr or Facebook? I've got a bunch of 'miles squared' and 'cubic kilometers' that would be a heck of a lot easier to show with the symbols.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostWed Feb 06, 2013 11:09 am 
Some of the ALT codes work, some don't. ¼ ½ ¾ ¢ µ ° ± I just remember the common ones and have some programed into my keyboard. You can use the Windows character map but it's very tedious. I also use the Firefox addon, Easy Accent MS Office uses it's own codes. Also use html. more alt codes

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostWed Feb 06, 2013 11:16 am 
I did a google search, it appears that the most common suggestion is use " x^2" for "x squared", "x^3" for "x cubed". Personally I don't find that useful since it isn't commonly known. I found several other suggestions to try, but none worked for me as I typed this. Maybe some of the ideas from google would work on your computer?

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostWed Feb 06, 2013 11:28 am 
x² can be written using alt0178. you must use the number keypad, not the numbers on your top row. If I can find cubed or to the nth I will share it here.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostWed Feb 06, 2013 12:10 pm 
superscript 3 is accessed by alt0179, once again using the number pad. Like km³.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Feb 09, 2013 11:44 pm 
I finally managed to do it in Word, very messily. It wouldn't start with superscript numbers, just letters. Then you could add numbers - and delete the letters. dizzy.gif Only problem is: it doesn't 'translate'. Try to copy and paste it, here, and you just get a normal line of type. mad.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 09, 2013 11:58 pm 
http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/02/special_characters/
Code:
² ² ²
All post as superscript 2.
Code:
³ ³ ³
All post as superscript 3.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Feb 10, 2013 6:46 am 
Thanks, Tom. That works for the 4² and 5³, which is really what matters for my work. But, how come the other codes from that Webmonkey list don't give proper results? For instance, I typed 'alt Uuml', thinking I was getting a capital 'U' with an umlaut over it. Instead, the 'U' part gave me '[u} [/u]' while the 'uml' part did nothing. >>>> Note: I had to distort the underline code to get it to display. It got much worse. I'd type the code for something. That would display a different code, rather than the something. I tried to submit that, to show what happened. Instead, the originally intended 'something' appeared. Sigh.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 10, 2013 1:25 pm 
Don't use alt. Just cut and paste the character from that page, or you can do it the hard way by typing ampersand + entity name or #entity number + semicolon. The ampersand versions only work on a web page (they are HTML entities for the character).
Code:
Ü Ü Ü will all display as uppercase U, umlaut
Test: Ü Ü Ü

mike

mike
PostSun Feb 10, 2013 1:41 pm 
From the link I posted above html Alan Wood's page is a pretty complete reference