Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bryant Peak (attempt) Part 2, and some consolation (2/17/13)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ikell

ikell
PostMon Feb 18, 2013 10:33 pm 
Bryan and I went back for Bryant Peak yesterday (see our December attempt here), but around 9" of new snow on Saturday night made for more challenging snow conditions than we had expected. Bryant is still playing hard to get, but nonetheless a great day in the snow. We left the Alpental lot around 9am, and tried the Hemlock/Bryant gully (again) above Great Scott bowl, but only made it about halfway up in thigh to hip-deep powder. Light spindthrift was cascading down from the surrounding ramparts, and we could see a new cornice atop the gully, so decided to bail and try the skin track traverse around to the Bryant Coll. Approaching the Hemlock/Bryant pass gully, and Ian forging up the gully
We made the Bryant coll fairly quickly, but the northwest ridge of Bryant and the surprisingly rugged northwest face were certainly not going to go yesterday. (If I would have done my homework better, I would have seen this...the northwest ridge is on the left.) Note to others: The southwest face is the easiest approach, from Hemlock Pass or the Hemlock gully. NW face of Bryant (in summer), and the NW ridge yesterday
For consolation, we cast our gaze northward, and zipped up to the small unnamed point to our right, just to the northwest on the ridge between Bryant and Chair. My GPS said we reached a high point of about 5,650'. Great views of Chair to the NW and back toward Bryant. The top didn't appear to be corniced, but we took turns as there was a very long sheer drop to the left (south). Bryan breaking trail, taking turns on top of the high point with Chair in the background. (Note: I'm pretty sure this is actually the south "false" Chair Peak, the real top of Chair is farther north and hidden.)
After all that hard work it was lunch and cold beer time! Naturally, the weather started to clear out as we headed down toward Source Lake. Another beautiful day in the mountains. But we'll be back...we just can't resist Bryant's charms. Looking back up toward Bryant (left), the little high point we climbed, and the south ridge of Chair (right)

Also on Cascade Climbers as ikell
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gneiss

gneiss
PostTue Feb 19, 2013 10:43 am 
Another good day out! We'll have to wait for some consolidation before trying again!

B-Dog

B-Dog
PostWed Feb 20, 2013 9:53 am 
We read your 1st TR and the one on Cascade Climbers for this Route. We were able to get up it a few weeks ago. Its a great climb with some good exposure on the ridge. We descended the SW Face and I can confirm this is the easiest route to ascend. So if you get up there again and the ridge is a no go... you can always fall back on that line. Below is a link to some photos from our trip. Look forward to reading your report of SUCCESS !! drink.gif http://wenthiking.com/users/288-b-dog/hikes/2359-bryant-peak

ikell

ikell
PostWed Feb 20, 2013 12:29 pm 
B-Dog, thanks for the reply. It looks like you went up the gully w/out snowshoes, much easier. On the ridge we went left of that big rock and got boxed out, it looks like you went right and it went. Good to know. thanks!

Also on Cascade Climbers as ikell
B-Dog

B-Dog
PostWed Feb 20, 2013 2:42 pm 
Yeah we left our slow shoes at the base of the gully. When we gained the ridge... the left side of that Rock did look like the way to go. Fortunately for us a party of 3 had just started up the ridge and decided to go that way. 1 of their team members made a spicy mixed move and got up and over that rock.... but the other 2 down climbed and went up the way we ended up going.