Forum Index > Trip Reports > Place Creek Trail, Birken BC, 8/11/02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Aug 17, 2002 12:01 pm 
This is a pretty nice trail, so long as steep grunt hikes don't bother you (I seem to be doing more of them recently). The trailhead is located just west of Birken BC, about 13 miles north of Mt. Currie off Highway 99 (north of Pemberton and Whistler). Theres a huge parking area about 1/5 mile beyond a railroad crossing, from which you follow an old two track across the railroad tracks and have to hop a locked gate and cross some private land (landowner welcomes hikers using it). Keep left and cross under two sets of powerline clearings, which may or may not have cows grazing under them wondering who the hell you are (watch out for road apples). After entering the woods after the second powerline clearing, the trail gets a little brushy for a short distance, then comes out to an old logging road and becomes obvious as it turns uphill towards Place Creek. About 10 minutes from the trailhead, I reached the creek, very respectible even in August, thanks to the Place Glacier 5000 feet above. The trail follows along the creek, ascending straight up the side of the embankments in places -without aid of switchbacks- then bends away and enters the forest for a while. About 20 minutes in, the trail heads back towards the creek and you are suddenly greeted with an impressive little ravine (kind of like Tahoma Creek at the Wonderland Trail crossing) with some good views across the valley. The trees thin out a little as you start climbing up rocks and the creek bends almost 90 degrees, emerging from a short slot gorge (which is pretty difficult to get a good look at). Then, slowly above you, Place Creek Falls begins to emerge, getting bigger and bigger as you inch up the hillside, until the trail passes only a hundred feet or less in front of the base of the falls, soaking any passers by with spray. Unfortunately, as it seems is the case with all large waterfalls, only smaller portions of the whole falls (possibly as much as 1500' tall) are visible from any single point. The views from the base of the falls reveal about a 450 foot drop, very impressive in itself. So, after taking my sweet time burning some film, I decided to turn back, only because I was hoping to have enough time to hike to Upper Joffre Lake that afternoon (which I didn't...grumble). So, next time, this becomes a full day ordeal, and maybe I'll get beyond the creek crossing that sounds harrier than Scrooge's Copper outlet log. Pics in a few.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 11:45 am 
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 3:03 pm 
Nice!
Those are the first colour pictures I have ever seen of these falls - very nice. Did you get to Alexander Falls or any other ones besides these two? BTW the new edition of 103 Hikes has a number of new waterfalls listed - if you are interested I can scan & email you the directions

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm