Forum Index > Support & Feedback > RSS Feeds for new Trip Reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 4:48 pm 
Thanks guys, very helpful. In other words, the feeds are "dumb" and the aggregator is "smart" so we don't have to worry about being "smart" with the feed? I guess the readers I've used in the past hasn't been that smart (e.g. can automatically check for new content every X minutes) so I glossed over this. Makes sense. What readers are you guys using to aggregate? If we feed every post, as in mbgriffi's example, it would allow the aggregator to search for specific content, but would be less organized since posts from various topics would be jumbled together. What if a post is edited? Is the aggregator smart enough to combine them. Or do you get multiple posts? seattlehiker, we can also feed a list of topics with new content as you suggested, but in order for the aggregator to search for specific content, we would also need to include the content of the posts. Can you point me to a forum that serves up content this way? I'm curious to see how it's feeding the information.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostTue Feb 13, 2007 5:47 pm 
RSS has the notion of "update", so I believe if I haven't pulled then the reader's job is to be smart to correlate. As for a reader I use : http://www.spoonfeedr.com Cheers mbg

seattlehiker
SeattleHiker

seattlehiker
SeattleHiker
PostSat Feb 17, 2007 8:41 am 
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier but I went out of town. Anyway, Tom, I think you should add an RSS feed to your site as you see fit. Start small and let it grow, we'll be happy with whatever you come up with and will be able to offer suggestions. Happy trails! cheers.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Feb 17, 2007 4:59 pm 
Quote:
... specifically the RSS feed is AWESOME, because you don't have to come to the website everyday, sift through all of the information in order to find a blurb or picture about a specific hiking/camping area, it's served up to you via your own reader that you download.
I think you folks are coming to the wrong forum. This group is about folks who like coming here every day, usually several times a day, and sifting through all the stuff that gets posted to see which of their friends are talking about what. If you're just looking for an information resource, subscribe to one of the pay sites where you can pinpoint your interests and not have to be involved with people. Frankly, Tom, I don't give a rat's ass about the "wave of the future". You're doing an outstanding job of giving the members of this group the tools they need to share the things they love and care about ....... the resources they need to have a good time with people they care about. David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
phillyjon

phillyjon
PostSat Feb 17, 2007 8:51 pm 
ditto.gif I wouldn't comment because all of this is way over my cyber-head, anyway. But HEY! Thanks to this thread, I, for the first time, know what that little briefcase thingy is for. Cool! breakdance.gif

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 17, 2007 8:57 pm 
Shouldn't be too hard to add, and I can see how it might be useful. Just need some free time to do it.

seattlehiker
SeattleHiker

seattlehiker
SeattleHiker
PostSun Feb 18, 2007 8:34 pm 
Quote:
This group is about folks who like coming here every day, usually several times a day, and sifting through all the stuff
Sorry Scrooge, er David, you feel that "new" tools are a hindrance to your way of "doing things". But I believe helping others who don't have the amount of spare time you do, but still enjoy reading, connecting and planning trips using the wonderful posts on this site, is a good thing. I for one am for getting the information anyway I can so that I can spend more time out on the trails meeting people, sharing stories and enjoying the great outdoors. I too believe Tom is doing a fantastic job servicing the hiking community and to add new technology to this site will only enhance the experience. Besides, you don't have to subscribe to RSS, just ignore the "wave of the future" and the rest of us will embrace it and continue to grow with this forum.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 1:00 am 
Scrooge - while there is a pretty strong community component to nwhikers.net, what you describe is by far not what the majority of members experience. Just look at the stats. We have 2671 registered users. If you keep track, you will notice that (at least during winter) an average of about 200-300 of those users visit the site per day. That's roughly 10% of registered users. Add that to the fact that a small component of the members are responsible for a huge chunk of the posts. This site is a great resource (to registered and unregistered users), and many people just surf for info and the occasional trip partners and don't really post very much or read the vast majority of the forums. Which is not to say that the site should cater specifically to any user group... just pointing out that the demographics are a bit different than you suggest.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
kayak77

kayak77
PostSun Mar 17, 2013 9:22 pm 
Did RSS feeds ever get enabled? I don't see them.

Sean T

Sean T
PostWed Mar 20, 2013 7:35 pm 
There is a plug in for phbb that will enable feeds for any section...Trip reports feed thru rss feeds then ran thru a site like twitter feed would be great for traffic..People search twitter all the time for specific content and news..

"he is one of those wolf lovers and hides in the shadows". 32 Predators