Forum Index > Trail Talk > Average speed?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 3:06 pm 
I'd be game for a slow photographer hike some time this fall. Maybe combine interests and do a waterfall photo hike? smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubberlegs to Quark

rubberlegs to Quark
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 4:30 pm 
Gimme a brake, Quark. My car don't even go that fast. It tops out at 22.5 mph, downhill with a tailpipe, on pavement. That's what happens when you only have rear wheel drive and 255k miles and pockmarks in your windshield and smelly boots clogging the air filter.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 4:41 pm 
Not to mention a drive up the M FK Road which is eqivalent to at least 50k! biggrin.gif

Quark to rubberlegs

Quark to rubberlegs
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 8:54 pm 
Ummmm....smelly boots aren't what's clogging your air filter - it's the Shoe Goo. I told you to spring for a new air filter, but nooooooo. The smelly boots are what's clogging your tailpipe. The one one your car, I mean.

catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 11:22 pm 
What I want to know is..... how do we know who is posting - David or Karen? Do you two not have individual identities? Does only one of you use the computer? Are you really only one person with dual identities?

Alpine Sam

Alpine Sam
PostWed Aug 21, 2002 11:45 pm 
catwoman wrote:
What I want to know is..... how do we know who is posting - David or Karen? Do you two not have individual identities? Does only one of you use the computer? Are you really only one person with dual identities?
Yes all eight of us want to know?!? huh.gif wink.gif eek.gif clown.gif redface.gif tongue.gif frown.gif dizzy.gif

ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 7:07 am 
My two seven-year-olds: One mile an hour on level trails frown.gif Two miles an hour on steep uphill trails smile.gif Three miles an hour on steep downhill trails huh.gif Zero miles an hour on any trail with blueberries tongue.gif

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 7:43 am 
To Catwoman
FYI - it is I, David who does all of the writing (trip reports, posting) while Karen takes all the pictures. She does however read all the posts on this site and quite often makes comments which I later submit under our 'joint' login smile.gif

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
JimK

JimK
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 8:11 am 
I find that a steady pace with few breaks works best for me. I average about 2 1/2 mph up a steady grade. I only go a little faster on level trail. Unless I'm in a hurry, downhilll is often slower than up as I take more time to admire the view, eat berries, etc. I think Mt. Si a good barometer of speed. Most of us have hiked it and timed ourselves. I take about 1:40 going up to the saddle where it skirts around the Haystack or turns towards Teneriffe. That's just about my 2 1/2 mph average.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 8:15 am 
There is no such thing as a .35 Smith and Wesson! 3mph is good! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 8:42 am 
Well then, trivia. I like it. I'll have to look into that. I'm a Colt fan of that era. I'll take my come-up-ins on that one and look into it. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Yellowstone Geezer

Yellowstone Geezer
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 11:18 am 
Like the famous Walt Stack says:
Quote:
I like to start slow, and then taper off.
Shoot, they're talking 'bout guns again. It'll be a Colt day in hell before they drop it.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 11:46 am 
Ripe berries have saved me the last two weekends on hikes with my daughter, a tall rangy 10 and a half year who can shop at the speed of light-this does not bode well for the teen years or some lucky fella that she'll get to marry at the ripe old age of say 28--about when I allow her to date. However, she hikes at the rate of .5 mph unless I persuade her (read boot to rear end) to move just a little faster. Actually we have a lot of fun and I'm constantly amazed by what she notices-the really little stuff she found a mean looking bug eating another bug for example. We hiked the Fog City trail-east of Chinook Pass two weeks ago and she devoured about a quart of berries. Eating while hiking makes her happy. Like with most of you, speed depends on the climb, terrain, what's on my back and what's around me. When I hiked in MT last earlier this month, marveling at the scenery, just one wonderment after another it seemed like, it was a pretty slow go. Got to go clean my gun, now.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 8:27 pm 
I go about 16587.6 feet per hour. It's pretty constant. Not sure what it is in miles, do the math. Nice scenery up ahead can pull me along at a faster clip. If I don't know where I'm going the pace is a slow amble. I often forget to bring a watch, so I just try and make it to the place I'm going. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Aug 22, 2002 10:38 pm 
I usually plan around 2 mph
I usually plan around 2 mph with grown-ups. BPJ and only I made 1.5 mph into Stuart lake in the dark by Tikka light, but came out at better than 3 mph. I think my 5-year-old and I got in and out of ShiShi beach at about 1 mph.