Forum Index > Trail Talk > Peak Registers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Aug 25, 2002 11:49 am 
Not being a peak bagger, I'm curious about registers. Are they on all the peaks? Just the popular ones? Just the ones with trails leading to the top? What does one look for? Maybe there are large neon signs? hehe Should I bring my own paper and pencil? I'd rather not carve *Newbie Was Here* in a tree. I did Pilchuck in the 70's and don't remember any. Did Goat Peak on the 10th and was nothing other than Lightning Bill took a Polaroid and have us sign it. Thanks, NN cool.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Aug 25, 2002 1:44 pm 
Peak registers are placed either by individuals or climbing clubs. You will find them on many peaks but certainly not all either on the top or near the top in a protected spot where it will not be lost. They are frequently covered with a small cairn. They come in all types and sizes. The one on Stuart is in a very large box with wing bolts to hold the top down. The one on Terrace is in a film container. The Mountaineers have placed a number of lovely brass containers with a screw top around. Those have become too expensive so they are now placing 3" PVC pipe with one end having a screw top and the other end glued on. I have found registers in glass bottles (Russian Butte), plastic sandwich bags, and I seem to remember finding a sardine can on Chikamin. Peaks like Eldorado which is snowcovered do not usually have registers. Usually I just write my name, date, and possibly the route up as a comment.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Aug 25, 2002 2:49 pm 
Unfortunately, the register on Terrace is no longer there assuming it was in even a semi-obvious location. I was up there yesterday and searched for it for a few minutes before weather forced us off the mountain. Kind of a bummer as I hear it dates back to about 1971. It would have been fun to read through the list of names going back 30+ years.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Aug 25, 2002 7:36 pm 
Interesting containers. Sounds like they are in what ever is available. The film container on Terrace dating back to the 70's? Either small writing or not many entries. Thanks for the info. I'll be looking at everything encluding garbage. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Aug 25, 2002 9:01 pm 
A friend and I climbed Terrace in Sept, 2000 and we were the twelfth and thirteenth to sign in the register. That brings up a good point. The register should not be the place to practice your creative writing or expound on how you and the spirtual world relate. There isn't enough room. Just the facts maam.