Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Daniel, East Peak 7899'
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 9:26 am 
Pappy, I can't find 7690 on Mount Daniel. The summit with the benchmark is 7899. I had thought you meant that for the East Peak. The true summit is 7960. And the west summit comes in at 7686. Which one are you describing in the report?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Aug 23, 2002 1:13 pm 
What is a little surprising about that benchmark is that it lists that highpoint as being in King Co. It (Pt 7899) is now in Kittitas Co. being east of the Cascade Crest. I always wondered how the surveyors could have been off on declaring it King Co and stamping it in the brass benchmark.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 25, 2002 12:04 am 
Jesus Ibex, are some of those routes from Venus directly north/north east possible? I've been there and man that's some virtical stuff! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
IBEX

IBEX
PostSun Aug 25, 2002 10:50 pm 
Yoh ‘Packer, You are right about the near vertical rock directly north of Venus Lake; very steep indeed. However, when I explored the Venus-Circle arete during The Citadel circumnavigation and subsequent ascent of Aug 2000, I confirmed the feasibility of Beckey’s described South Spur Route on Mount Daniel. It’s a rubble-gully walk-up if you keep to the left of the north slope cliffs. It is bothersome terrain I would describe as scrambling up a stack of serving platters. Not like Granny’s painted white China, but a dusty gray-brown hue. Highly susceptible to rockfall hazard, though not a factor to a solo traveler like myself. However, the herd of goats that crossed above me could have been a little more considerate. biggrin.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel

PostMon Aug 26, 2002 6:59 am 
BPJ, I have often looked at your photo of Venus in the "Monday's Photo" thread. And it was cool to see it from Daniel, but the lake looks pretty outstanding from the shoreline in your picture. up.gif