Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Not receiving notification emails on topics I am watching?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hiker1

hiker1
PostSun Feb 17, 2013 12:13 am 
Recently noticed I am not receiving the emails notifiying me that a new post has been made to a topic I am watching. Checked to make sure the topic is listed as one I am watching. How often do the emails go out? And how fast after a new post? I suppose they are automatic. Could be an issue with my email address, but I get other emails on it.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Feb 17, 2013 12:29 am 
Sometimes it works, other times...

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostTue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 am 
I've been noticing this happening as well. Maybe for the past couple of weeks.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jun 04, 2013 12:58 pm 
I think it happens on long threads where it has to send out notifications to a lot of people and dies before it can send all of them. No easy way to fix that. Personally I never use the email notification feature. Just bookmark this link and it will show you all topics you've posted in that have new replies since your last visit.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jun 04, 2013 2:00 pm 
Like that link. I still use the email notification especially if I have requested information or something. I can get notified via email then come over to NWhikers to check replies. If you are always surfing on NWhikers you probably don't need it.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 10:46 am 
As of the last 6 months or so when getting email notifications it would go to NWHikers's index page instead of the thread where the reply was made for busier threads. When clicking the email link a second time it would send me to the latest reply (as expected).

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 11:35 am 
Josh Lewis wrote:
it would go to NWHikers's index page
I've noticed this behavior too though I cannot discern a pattern for it. Sometimes the links land me on the index, other times they take me directly to the post. It seems to happen more consistently on Android over my computer as well. I'm sure the server logs this activity when it occurs, so perhaps that might offer some insight into the problem. I also noticed that I am often unsubscribed from email notifications and have no idea why. This happens multiple times a week. I've subscribed to the Lazy Trip Reports thread multiple times, for example.
Tom wrote:
Just bookmark this link
> search.php?search_id=egosearch Funny naming lol

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 11:56 am 
zimmertr wrote:
also noticed that I am often unsubscribed from email notifications and have no idea why.
In the past it was noted it had to do with users deleting their posts followed by the notification pointing to the deleted post.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 12:14 pm 
A few months ago I changed the email link so that instead of taking you to a predetermined post it takes you to the first post you haven't read at the time you click the link, or the last post if you're up to date. That way if the post gets deleted it would still take you to the last post in the thread. The down side is you need to be logged in for this to work correctly. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the issue or there's something else going on? Are you having to login when the issue occurs?

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 12:19 pm 
Tom wrote:
I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the issue or there's something else going on? Are you having to login when the issue occurs?
Yes, I'm logged in when the issue occurs. Happens on both PC and Android. Will keep an eye out for more patterns such as length of time from reply, popularity/pagination, ect.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 12:36 pm 
Seems to be a glitch with the post tracking (topic bookmarking). Do you get any sort of message before it redirects to the forum index page? Having the resulting URL on the landing page would be good. I could fix things so it defaults to the old behavior, unless the post is deleted, in which case it would go to the first post after the deleted post number in the thread. That's probably a more reliable solution as the user doesn't need to be logged in to determine what post to land on, but it would be nice to figure out why the topic bookmarking isn't working (if not a login issue would affect more than just email notifications).

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 12:58 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
I also noticed that I am often unsubscribed from email notifications and have no idea why.
Are you actually unsubscribed or are you just not getting notifications? It will tell you at the bottom of the topic to the lower left if you are subscribed, with a link to unsubscribe. The issue I tried to fix a few months ago was the email link taking you to a non-existent post, but perhaps there's other issues when a post is deleted.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 1:03 pm 
Tom wrote:
Do you get any sort of message before it redirects to the forum index page? Having the resulting URL on the landing page would be good.
Thee is no message. But I do get a rather lengthy URL after being parsed from the email link. The email text says: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7966441&view=newest Confirmed with DOM Inspector that the href points to: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7966441&view=newest But upon being directed to nwhikers it actually sends me to: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/index.php?sid=3e14f914c70ed397fd08769b01929999 According to my browser history, upon clicking the email notification link there is no record of: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7966441&view=newest Hence it would seem the index.php?sid=123 URL is being dynamically generated before the page is loaded or requested. Either the 'sid' isn't valid or isn't directing properly to the latest reply of the thread. I suspect if the URL went straight to viewtopic.php?t=123&view=newest it may have 100% accuracy. The thread being referenced is: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7966441

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 2:17 pm 
Thanks, I see the problem, it's just not redirecting properly during auto login.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 21, 2021 12:25 am 
Hopefully the redirect issue is fixed now.

Josh Journey